Pistol to SBR conversion and process

So I have my trust (From NFAPRO.Com ) I want to do a SBR, and a suppressor..... Currently I'm in Mass, but I have property and family in NH. I also shoot regularly in NH

I've been debating what firearm I want for a SBR, AR or something else.... Of particular interest is the CZ Scorpion as my primary interest is a pistol caliber SBR.

Do I need to add my family to the trust to purchase either the firearm or the suppressor through the trust?

Can a trust purchase a pistol for future conversion as a SBR?

Yes, I know full well that a superstore can never come into the state of mass, and a CZ Scorpion cannot come into the state of mass as a pistol, nor do I have any intention of violating any of those laws

Sorry for the dumb questions, still trying to wrap my brain around this NFA thing

1. if you want your family members to share ownership of the item/possess it - yes, add them as co-trustees.

2. you don't need to buy it as the trust, buy it as you, add it to the assignment sheet, then do the form 1/engraving/etc.

1. if you want your family members to share ownership of the item/possess it - yes, add them as co-trustees.

2. you don't need to buy it as the trust, buy it as you, add it to the assignment sheet, then do the form 1/engraving/etc.

Purchasing a CZ Scorpion as a current Mass resident would be less than ideal. I'm still about a year and a half away from being able to purchase firearms as a NH resident

if you have the trust set up and buy the pistol--DON'T engrave it if you're going to move before you assemble it, and DON'T move if you have a form 1 processing. you need all the info to match and what needs to be engraved is where you actually assemble the firearm once approved.

total PITA. my first form 1 got kicked because of it, and i bought a lower forever ago, had it engraved, then moved so i have to have it re-engraved with what will be the correct information like a dumbass for when i submit a form 1 on that one.

derp.

Yeah, OK now I remember reading about your situation with this.... I need to pull the plug on the NFA stuff until I get this done and I can just do it as a NH resident.

Thanks and sorry again for the stupid posts

You may appoint a family member or friend to serve as a trustee of your trust (using the one page appointment form included with your trust package). If someone other than yourself is acquiring firearms on behalf of the trust, then they must be appointed as a trustee of your trust. As a trustee, they will be able to acquire firearms that are legal in NH on behalf of the trust. If those items aren't legal in Massachusetts (such as suppressors), then the firearms cannot enter the Commonwealth.

For a typical NFA trust, can a trustee (vs the creator of the trust) submit a form 1 and create a NFA item, assuming that they purchased something and gave it to the trust?

For a typical NFA trust, can a trustee (vs the creator of the trust) submit a form 1 and create a NFA item, assuming that they purchased something and gave it to the trust?

They can, but there may be some undesirable consequences of doing so (not related to firearms law). The biggest concern, from my perspective, is that the trustee contributing property to the trust will be essentially giving up his or her beneficial ownership of that property. Now, there can be an understanding among the settlor(s) and trustee(s) that a particular item will eventually be transferred to outright the contributor (or to his or her own trust), but that would likely be in violation of the terms of the trust agreement. This isn't such a big deal while the settlor(s) and the contributing trustee are living, but after one or all of their deaths, things can get more complicated and dramatic. Imagine the contributing trustee's heir(s) making claims on the assets of the trust, or the named beneficiaries disputing a distribution from the trust counter to the terms of the trust agreement.

For this reason, I counsel against "buddy trusts" (my term). Obviously, the less valuable the item contributed, the less risk of significant problems, but I prefer to eliminate that risk entirely. My advice is to avoid the scenario by setting up "reciprocal gun trusts" (again, my term), where each friend has his or her own trust, and each friend is a trustee of the other's trust.

Last edited:
You may appoint a family member or friend to serve as a trustee of your trust (using the one page appointment form included with your trust package). If someone other than yourself is acquiring firearms on behalf of the trust, then they must be appointed as a trustee of your trust. As a trustee, they will be able to acquire firearms that are legal in NH on behalf of the trust. If those items aren't legal in Massachusetts (such as suppressors), then the firearms cannot enter the Commonwealth.

Thank you for a great product through NFAPRO.com and for making sense of things here... It really is appreciated for the thick skulled such as myself!

Thank you for a great product through NFAPRO.com and for making sense of things here... It really is appreciated for the thick skulled such as myself!

No problem! None of this is intuitive. Re-reading my response, I realized I should clarify one point related to exodius's question about whether a co-trustee can make an NFA item. The answer is yes, as I wrote above. But I should have made clearer that there really isn't any problem with doing so long as the trustee who is submitting the Form 1 application understands that the NFA item will belong to the trust and he or she has no legal claim on that item. Also, the trustee who is making the NFA item will list his or her address on the Form 1, assuming the principal location of that NFA item will be a that trustee's address.

Back
Top Bottom