Pistol Safe?

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
hey guys i'm looking to get something small and quick to keep close by the bed. any suggestion? i've heard some horrow stories about the electronic safes, and they don't seem to be too heavy duty... thanks for any info in advance guys!

I suggest a lock box with a non-electronic simplex lock. Just google "Vline simplex".

As owner of a Gun Vault, I hesitate to recommend it. I have a 2-3 year old model, and it failed recently due to a weak link in the mechanism. The factory claims new models are improved, but I have no first hand proof of that.

The problem is not the electronics, but the mechanical mechanism they used to actuate the lock itself.

I suggest a lock box with a non-electronic simplex lock. Just google "Vline simplex".

As owner of a Gun Vault, I hesitate to recommend it. I have a 2-3 year old model, and it failed recently due to a weak link in the mechanism. The factory claims new models are improved, but I have no first hand proof of that.

The problem is not the electronics, but the mechanical mechanism they used to actuate the lock itself.

My Gun Vault is newer, less than a year. So far, so good! But now I'll be worrying once it hits the 2-3 year mark [thinking]

I have had my Gun Vault for over 8 years, open it every day never had one problem. Any mechanical device can fail at any time. If it ever fails I would get a T & T Enterprises Advanced Pistol Safe, they use a simplex lock which would be just as fast. My Two cents.
http://shop.advancedpistolsafes.com/main.sc

+1. I think I'll periodically check the condition of the cable of my gun vault now.

I agree on purchasing something that is non electronic and has a simplex lock.
1) Simplex mechanical locks have been in use for many generations and have a proven track record of reliability and dependability.
2) The amount of time it takes to open a Simplex mechanical lock is about the same as a biometric fingerprint lock.
3) There is no risk of copying your combination if you keep it confidential.
4) There are no batteries to die during periods of non-use.
5) Low maintenance or no maintenance.

I would look at the v-line or the Perma Vault PV-1IPB Handgun safe.

I would stay away from anything biometric because they are not 100% reliable yet. Here is a good article about them.

http://www.safeandvaultstore.com/blog/handgun-safes/biometric-handgun-safes/

Back
Top Bottom