• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'Pillar of the community' city worker, 31, is killed by white cop who 'tasered and shot him three times...

Reptile

NES Member
'Pillar of the community' city worker, 31, is killed by white cop who 'tasered and shot him three times as he tried to break up brawl inside gas station'
  • Jonathan Price, 31, is said to have intervened when he saw a man and woman brawling inside an Exxon gas station in Wolfe City on Saturday
  • As Price approached the couple, the man reportedly assaulted him and the altercation spilled outside where police arrived shortly afterwards
  • Witnesses say he put his hands up and attempted to explain to police what had happened but was then tasered before being shot multiple times
  • Authorities confirmed on Sunday that the officer involved has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation
  • The officer was not named, however witnesses say the cop was white
  • Wolfe City PD only has three officers: Police Chief Matthew Martin, Sergeant Jarred Hayes and Officer Shaun Lucas, according to its website
A Texas man lauded as a ‘pillar of the community’ was fatally shot by police over the weekend as he reportedly attempted to break up a domestic violence situation at a gas station.

Jonathan Price, 31, is said to have intervened when he saw a man and woman brawling inside an Exxon gas station in Wolfe City, northeast of Dallas, on Saturday at 8:30pm.

As he approached the couple, family members say the man assaulted Price, and when police responded to the disturbance, a Wolfe City police officer tasered and then shot the good Samaritan multiple times.

i just can't believe he was "just shot" for nothing. there has to be more to the story than is being reported. this is crazy, no one ever does nothing and they get shot. come on now....

i just can't believe he was "just shot" for nothing. there has to be more to the story than is being reported. this is crazy, no one ever does nothing and they get shot. come on now....
.... then rewarded for the behavior.

.... then rewarded for the behavior.

"only had a pellet gun in his hands"...how far is the cop suppose to let him get near enough to identify it was a pellet gun? some people a plain f***ing stupid. i most certainly would expect to get shot if i brandished anything that remotely looked like a gun at a cop. if he was aquitted of the charge so did someone else.

"only had a pellet gun in his hands"...how far is the cop suppose to let him get near enough to identify it was a pellet gun? some people a plain f***ing stupid. i most certainly would expect to get shot if i brandished anything that remotely looked like a gun at a cop. if he was aquitted of the charge so did someone else.

"Some people a plain f***ing stupid" - please continue the demonstration: Are you able to share what point in the video Daniel had a pellet gun in his hands ?

Dafuq does: The Texas Department of Public Safety said that a preliminary investigation indicates the officer's actions "were not objectionably reasonable." mean?

Time/evidence will tell if this was a justified shooting but murder charges for a shooting involving a Domestic Violence call where the guy resisted arrest doesn't usually result in a conviction.

When he shot him in the video he didn't have a pellet gun. He was attempting to pull up his pants. The murder of Daniel Shaver was so egregious because he was actually complying.

You mean "acting in a threatening manner". :rolleyes: So sad every time I watch one of these things. God forbid we expect LEOs to identify a weapon and a clear danger to their life before they shoot. I understand things happen fast, but that's part of the job - you better be damn sure you might die if you're going to shoot someone.

Every time I hear of one of these incidents, I think of a case years ago in CT. A guy who had taken the test to become a police officer was suing the city involved. Despite having the highest score of all the applicants, the city refused to allow him to proceed with training. Their reason? "He was too intelligent". I don't remember the outcome of the legal case.

Dafuq does: The Texas Department of Public Safety said that a preliminary investigation indicates the officer's actions "were not objectionably reasonable." mean?

Time/evidence will tell if this was a justified shooting but murder charges for a shooting involving a Domestic Violence call where the guy resisted arrest doesn't usually result in a conviction.

This may help:

"Courts tasked with determining the reasonableness of a police officer’s use of force have been guided by the United State Supreme Court to consider situations based on a standard of “objective reasonableness.” In essence lower courts have been directed to view the facts surrounding an officer’s use of force as they were presented to the officer at the time force was used without relying on the benefit of 20/20 hindsight or second guessing the officer’s decison. Courts are instructed to confront the facts of a case as they were presented to the officer when the decision to use force was made and to determine if the actions were “reasonable” given the circumstances and what was known to the officer at the time.

This decision-making directive was announced in 1985, when the U.S. Supreme Court handed down its decision in Tennessee v. Garner (1985). The case involved the shooting death of an unarmed 15-year old juvenile, Edward Garner, who had broken into an unoccupied home and stolen a ring and $10. When police officers arrived on the scene, Garner ran. A Memphis police officer shot and killed Garner. The Court ruled that police officers could not use deadly force to prevent the escape of a felon unless the suspect posed a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

This may help:

"Courts tasked with determining the reasonableness of a police officer’s use of force have been guided by the United State Supreme Court to consider situations based on a standard of “objective reasonableness.” In essence lower courts have been directed to view the facts surrounding an officer’s use of force as they were presented to the officer at the time force was used without relying on the benefit of 20/20 hindsight or second guessing the officer’s decison. Courts are instructed to confront the facts of a case as they were presented to the officer when the decision to use force was made and to determine if the actions were “reasonable” given the circumstances and what was known to the officer at the time.

This decision-making directive was announced in 1985, when the U.S. Supreme Court handed down its decision in Tennessee v. Garner (1985). The case involved the shooting death of an unarmed 15-year old juvenile, Edward Garner, who had broken into an unoccupied home and stolen a ring and $10. When police officers arrived on the scene, Garner ran. A Memphis police officer shot and killed Garner. The Court ruled that police officers could not use deadly force to prevent the escape of a felon unless the suspect posed a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others."

Thanks. Wouldn't that be not objectively reasonable vs not objectionably reasonable?

"Some people a plain f***ing stupid" - please continue the demonstration: Are you able to share what point in the video Daniel had a pellet gun in his hands ?
a lot of fail in that video, but I remember watching it when it happened and being mad at the kid for not listening to the cop. He was told like 8 times he was gonna get shot if he deviated from the instructions and then he makes a movement like he's reaching toward his waistband. Maybe it was to pull up his pants, IDK, but when cops are pointing rifles at you just let your f***ing pants fall down. I don't think the cops should have been off the hook at all, but the kid gets some blame too.

a lot of fail in that video, but I remember watching it when it happened and being mad at the kid for not listening to the cop. He was told like 8 times he was gonna get shot if he deviated from the instructions and then he makes a movement like he's reaching toward his waistband. Maybe it was to pull up his pants, IDK, but when cops are pointing rifles at you just let your f***ing pants fall down. I don't think the cops should have been off the hook at all, but the kid gets some blame too.
Indeed. It seems like a virtuous exercise to justify why the scared, Godless law enforcers need to murder defenseless, non-obedient and unarmed citizens. In fact, consider rewarding the murderous law enforcers with >$30K/year for life for their permanently corrective and mostly peaceful action..

Last edited:

I remember that video too.
Multiple cops screaming conflicting orders at the guy.
Whatever he did was going to get him shot.

If you didn't see who started the GoFundMe for Price's family, it was his friend Will Middlebrooks. Signed with the Red Sox straight out of Liberty-Eylau HS in Texarkana (where I used to live) in 2007. Made the bigs and played for Boston 2012-14, then played for the Padres, Brewers, and Rangers.

The security footage and body cam footage will be interesting to say the least. My gut feeling based off almost every single incident we see hyped up in the media? Its going to be more grey than black & white. That doesn't mean the cop isn't guilty of murder, but how many times are people going to take the media crying wolf?

Guy worked for the city and had a side job as a personal trainer.
Thought he should go to the aid of a woman in need of help somebody in need and it cost him his life....
Video? Shot in the back while walking away? WTF

Daniel Shaver was crawling face down along a hotel corridor crying in fear and begging for his life when he was shot. Officer Brailsford had instructed him to crawl towards him over a 30 foot distance or thereabouts. Brailsford is a sadistic, murderous coward who was looking for an excuse for his first CONUS kill. The inside of his ejection port cover was laser engraved "YOU'RE f***ED."

Daniel Shaver was crawling face down along a hotel corridor crying in fear and begging for his life when he was shot. Officer Brailsford had instructed him to crawl towards him over a 30 foot distance or thereabouts. Brailsford is a sadistic, murderous coward who was looking for an excuse for his first CONUS kill. The inside of his ejection port cover was laser engraved "YOU'RE f***ED."

I remember that video too.
Multiple cops screaming conflicting orders at the guy.
Whatever he did was going to get him shot.

no where did I say it was a justified shooting. Reaching for his waistband was a contributing factor though. Maybe you're right, maybe there was no way he was coming out of that alive, but reaching for his waistband certainly didn't improve his odds. His friend made it out alive. But yes, if there was any actual justice in the world a mob would have hung that POS cop from a streetlight in front of his house.

No he doesnt. He was drunk. Listen to the cops commands. They are unclear and confusing and in some cases contradictory of themselves. I am not a cop but I am not aware of any training that tells a suspect to crawl towards the officer and if there is that is just an accident waiting to happen. If the cop had told him to lay down face first with his hands behind his back everything would have been fine. The cop was basically playing simon sez ( shout out to capn' kev wherever you are ;) ) with an unknowing participant where the outcome is life or death.

Back
Top Bottom