Photo lights are now banned in MA and RI!!!!!!!!!!

What? Is it more probably that they do not want to collect tax on ebay transactions? I know they operate stores here, not sure about the other states.

Darn, I thought you meant red light cameras were banned in Mass.

Now I must start hoarding photo lights along with my ever expanding incandescent light bulb stash.

It's for tax purposes.

If you have a business presence in Mass, and you sell online, you must collect and pay mass sales tax, even if the internet sales office is located in another state.

One more reason to move out of this worthless state.

Notice that they stated "We currently DO NOT ship to the following states for THIS product" that implies that some products will ship to Mass??? Can't buy a two-light set if they institute a one light a month limit.

What? Is it more probably that they do not want to collect tax on ebay transactions? I know they operate stores here, not sure about the other states.

It's for tax purposes.

If you have a business presence in Mass, and you sell online, you must collect and pay mass sales tax, even if the internet sales office is located in another state.

One more reason to move out of this worthless state.

What to make of this this then?...

No Tax

You never pay sales tax! We are not required to collect sales and use tax on deliveries throughout the US, except where we have business locations and in those states we pay ALL sales taxes (California, Kansas and Maryland). For customers in these states, our price includes all applicable taxes. To satisfy Maryland consumer reporting rules, we will show sales tax and an amount equal to the sales tax will be discounted from our regular low price. The order total will be the same as our regular low prices without tax

http://www.ritzcamera.com/help/shopping/Shopping.htm?bct=sRitzCamera.com+Customer+Service#anchor3

All this finagling over some photo equipment is sad, we are quickly becoming a third world nation. Some of it is taxes, some of it tax reporting requirements, a little bit of banned for likely a nannynonsense reason. Bring on the free market, the black market.

I don't think it is because of tax. I wrote to the seller, inquiring to why they will not ship that item to some states (I was curious).
This is the reply I got:

Dear Buyer,

We thank you for writing to us.

This is with reference to your inquiry.

We would like to inform you that we do not ship to some parts of places if the item is a restricted item.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. You can call us at 1-877-690-0099 for any further information.

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Customer Service

- ritzcameras

[rofl]

Perhaps the "restriction" is against selling where they have active retailers? Have you tried calling a local store to see if they have them?

I used to work for them and back then, in early '09, ritzcamera.com and ritz camera were two separate companies. Ritz camera was based out of Md while the .com was out of Ca. We were not allowed to accept returns from the .com store even though they were the same produce and had the same number.

I wonder if there's mercury somewhere in the lamp. Maybe a switch or something in case it tips over?

http://www.newmoa.org/prevention/mercury/imerc/productban.cfm

And on the subject of banned lighting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2009/09/090901_bulbs_nh_sl.shtml

Old-style light bulbs banned in EU

From today [Sept 1, 2009], the manufacture and import of 100 watt bulbs and all frosted bulbs will be banned in the European Union.

The new rules mean that consumers will be able to buy only the more efficient long life fluorescent or halogen lamps.

However, there has been something of a backlash against the ban.

In Britain, supermarkets reported a massive run on the traditional type, while one newspaper gave away 25,000 incandescent light bulbs in "outrage at further European intervention in British affairs".

The European Commission claims the ban on inefficient bulbs will save about 40 terawatt hours of energy a year, enough to power a small country.

Matt Prescott is the founder of the Ban the Bulb campaign.

First broadcast 1 September 2009

Last edited:
I reckon' it's all about the traffic lights. At an intersection, have you ever noticed those little funky black things with the extended hood on them that look like a mini-camera affixed to the cables next to the lights? It's a special traffic control device that if hit with a pulse of light at the right intensity and frequency, will change all lights to red except the one being flashed, and turn THAT one green. Used for emergency vehicles. When that emergency mode is active the white strobe will flash, if so equipped, so other emergency peeps know the pattern is being altered at that moment.

There are many units on the market that are designed specifically for activating them (for the right price), provided the local system doesn't have some special pattern-recognition encoded for activation.

It would not behoove anyone to mess with that system anyway, since it is a federal felony to have one of those flashers, or to make one up with quartz lamps/strobes, if they are not using it for emergency purposes.

Just my reckoning.

I reckon' it's all about the traffic lights. At an intersection, have you ever noticed those little funky black things with the extended hood on them that look like a mini-camera affixed to the cables next to the lights? It's a special traffic control device that if hit with a pulse of light at the right intensity and frequency, will change all lights to red except the one being flashed, and turn THAT one green. Used for emergency vehicles. When that emergency mode is active the white strobe will flash, if so equipped, so other emergency peeps know the pattern is being altered at that moment.

There are many units on the market that are designed specifically for activating them (for the right price), provided the local system doesn't have some special pattern-recognition encoded for activation.

It would not behoove anyone to mess with that system anyway, since it is a federal felony to have one of those flashers, or to make one up with quartz lamps/strobes, if they are not using it for emergency purposes.

Just my reckoning.

Opticom...

http://www.tcmfd.com/stuff/opticom.html

Banning photo lights when the act of improperly triggering traffic lights is illegal is so bleeping stupid and unAmerican. Same as guns have the actions and not the hardware illegal. Wonder how big a surefire light you need...

Just my reckoning.

Nope. Opticom uses IR.

Back
Top Bottom