• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Phoenix arms HP-22

Pretty simple. Are they any good? They are only $130 new.
Taking some advice of others and looking into a 22 also. My other new gun on order is the S&W 1911 pro series sub compact .45

mike

They are ok for range trips. That's it. It's not poorly made but has too many safeties that make it useless as a carry. I have one the wife likes to shoot & i use it when I take a beginner to the range. If your looking for a .22 pistol, get a ruger markIII, they are reliable tack drivers.

They are ok for range trips. That's it. It's not poorly made but has too many safeties that make it useless as a carry. I have one the wife likes to shoot & i use it when I take a beginner to the range. If your looking for a .22 pistol, get a ruger markIII, they are reliable tack drivers.

I was planning on the 1911 sub compact for my carry. The .22 was going to be mostly for range and also my wife at the range.

We bought a few of these many years ago when they first came out.

We did a group buy at my work it had to be the early ninety's we paid $79.00 each and bought five guns.

I wasn't that impressed but I also had better .22's .

The guns all functioned and I sure some of the guys still have them.

Mine has been long gone and not missed even a little.

I'm surprised they are charging that much for them but it's been near twenty years since we bought ours.

Bottom line they make cheap guns for people who can't afford better ones, I would put another couple hundred in and get a Ruger if you can afford it.

They are ok for range trips. That's it. It's not poorly made but has too many safeties that make it useless as a carry.

They're not bad little guns but the manual of arms is bizarre.
This is what happens when guns are designed by lawyers.
You can't release the safety unless a magazine is inserted, nor can you remove the mag unless it's on "safe", but you can't rack the slide to unload the chamber once the magazine is removed.
It's just about the stupidest operating procedure I've ever seen on a gun.
However, it's easily modifiable to function like a normal gun.
It takes 10 minutes with a file and only requires removing the left grip panel.
I've modded two of them and they work MUCH better now.

Here's a pic of the stock safety.
Note area in the red circle:

HP22_Stock.jpg

This protrusion slides under the safety button, preventing it's function while the gun is on "fire".
By removing this protrusion, the mag release will function regardless of safety position, like any other normal gun.
Here's a pic of mine after the modification:

HP22_Mod.jpg

The second mod is to defeat the magazine safety, which allows the thumb safety to move freely down the "fire" position, whether or not a magazine is inserted, thus allowing the slide to be opened without a magazine present.
The vertical piece shown in the other red circle stops the safety bar from lowering when no magazine is present, simply lift up on it and bend it back slightly so it no longer lays flat, now it won't block the safety bars movement.
Very simple to do and the gun now functions like any normal semi auto pistol.

They're not bad little guns but the manual of arms is bizarre.
This is what happens when guns are designed by lawyers.
You can't release the safety unless a magazine is inserted, nor can you remove the mag unless it's on "safe", but you can't rack the slide to unload the chamber once the magazine is removed.
It's just about the stupidest operating procedure I've ever seen on a gun.
However, it's easily modifiable to function like a normal gun.
It takes 10 minutes with a file and only requires removing the left grip panel.
I've modded two of them and they work MUCH better now.
This protrusion slides under the safety button, preventing it's function while the gun is on "fire".
By removing this protrusion, the mag release will function regardless of safety position, like any other normal gun.
The second mod is to defeat the magazine safety, which allows the thumb safety to move freely down the "fire" position, whether or not a magazine is inserted, thus allowing the slide to be opened without a magazine present.
The vertical piece shown in the other red circle stops the safety bar from lowering when no magazine is present, simply lift up on it and bend it back slightly so it no longer lays flat, now it won't block the safety bars movement.
Very simple to do and the gun now functions like any normal semi auto pistol.

Thanks!! i will do this mod asap and may actually dust that .22 off a little more often. with the price of ammo, the more often i shoot .22, the better!
images

Back
Top Bottom