Phesant season is around the corner

starts on the 17th iirc i don't have a dog either and i still got one last year. plan to get more this year. i went alone but you could take a couple of buddies with you to be the dogs...lol but if they are hunting they will need the same licences etc.

I'll be avoiding the Saturday AM melee, and get out in the field that Monday. Might try for some Quail this time with the new dog. There'a a TON of them out there.

As I read the MA wildlife regs (and I did read them) the only orange a pheasant hunter is required to wear is a hat.

Es verdad?

Correct with the exception of shotgun deer season I believe, but with orange being such a simple and smart thing to wear when out hunting, I wear a vest anyway.

I'm set and ready to go. My stuff has been packed for a month, my guns have been cleaned twice in the past week and I've been working like a honeybee on crack taking care of "honey-do's" to keep the wife from coming up with things to do during the season.

I have a dog but she is not trained yet. Right now she runs off to the sunset. That aint gonna work. Just picked up an E-collar and will start training her soon.

Got the week off and separate from my wife who has the week before off. I told her the dog and i will be spending quality time together. My plan is goose and duck in the morning and pheasant fields in the afternoon.

Correct with the exception of shotgun deer season I believe, but with orange being such a simple and smart thing to wear when out hunting, I wear a vest anyway.

Shotgun deer season doesn't coincide with pheasant season. i.e. pheasant season is over before shotgun picks up. However, if you're hunting in a heavily hunted area then i'd suggest wearing a blaze vest. That being said, most upland bird hunting vests/jackets are now made with a blaze vest built in.

But yeah, i'm stoked, can't wait. counting down the days...

Last edited:
I have a dog but she is not trained yet. Right now she runs off to the sunset. That aint gonna work. Just picked up an E-collar and will start training her soon.

Do some reading or buy a training video from Tri-Tronics before you use that E-Collar. If you don't know what your doing, you will make that dog worthless in a hurry.

Do some reading or buy a training video from Tri-Tronics before you use that E-Collar. If you don't know what your doing, you will make that dog worthless in a hurry.

Yes I know this, but thank you. I will be doing quite a bit of research before I start with the E-collar. Hence, why I am not starting the training immediately.

I've been searching the hosue for an old hunting license....saw one a year ago, but i think the box it was in got tossed.
without it, must take hunter safety course AGAIN!

I've been searching the hosue for an old hunting license....saw one a year ago, but i think the box it was in got tossed.

Palladin, PM me if you need a license, and can't find an old one. I have a solution for you. ;)

If you took the HS course in mass, call them. They will have a record and can send you a new certificate.

Not if you can come up with your hunter safety certificate (card). Call hunter ed, they may have one on file if you don't.

Hunter Education Program
51 Groton-Shirley Road
Ayer, MA 01432

Phone: (978) 772-0693
Fax: (978) 772-0812

I am not going to bother this year. I was looking forward to a great 2nd season with the Britney but she has cancer. (terminal) she isn't well enough to get back into the field.
Bummed out does not describe it. she had the potential to be the best bird dog I have had.

I am not going to bother this year. I was looking forward to a great 2nd season with the Britney but she has cancer. (terminal) she isn't well enough to get back into the field.
Bummed out does not describe it. she had the potential to be the best bird dog I have had.

Glenn, that is a bummer! I know you were very impresseed with her when you first got her.

I was 12 when I took the course!!!! 41 yrs ago!!

Did you guy your license online? If so, you can go online and print out a duplicate. Plus if you know the year you got it, they MAY still be there. I know they looked for me and they had stuff going back at least to the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom