• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pheasant Season 09 - How did you do?

Shot this rooster this morning.

rooster.jpg

J - Couple of guys from work and me are heading to Miles Standish this coming week. Should check it out, supposed to be a pretty nice area for birds

My wife and I went pheasant hunting for first time. Started in Norton, MA on WMA land with friend, his son, and their bird dog today. Got one rooster, crowded and not a lot of shots today.

We then went to our club in Somerset and got two more. Good day, good weather, and had pheasant for dinner tonight.

One more week of pheasants in MA.

Dana

I havent done any upland game hunting in MA since i got pelleted like crazy in miles standish a few years back[frown]. i love pheasant hunting tho...

My wife and I went pheasant hunting for first time. Started in Norton, MA on WMA land with friend, his son, and their bird dog today. Got one rooster, crowded and not a lot of shots today.

We then went to our club in Somerset and got two more. Good day, good weather, and had pheasant for dinner tonight.

One more week of pheasants in MA.

Dana

chances are you saw my vehicle today if you were there before say 10am, if you were where i think you were going by your post. if a vehicle made you either laugh or put you in shock - it was me.

it is always busy there with way too many people for the space/birds. i was out deer hunting - no luck yet. there were plenty before the pheasant hunters, myself included, started blasting away this year. once pheasant season opened they dried up, i have to find them again.

I was in the far left corner of the lot, black F-350 parked by our friend in a yellow old Ford Ranger regular cab. He had a brown and white English Springer Spaniel. There were only two others in the lot at the time, we got there at 5:40AM.

Were you the Scooby Doo VW Van Major Boom Boom?? I saw it pull in, in the dark and I saw the light come on.

I skipped the last bow day to go pheasant with him, his son, and my wife. We can't go next Saturday and he is working all week. We might go Wednesday afternoon with his son and his dog, the son is about 14 years old and does all kinds of hunting.

Looks like a good deer area. We were in the tree line at the farthest field at one point and I saw two stands. If you know the path to the bridge, we had not sniffed out any birds and we got down to the point where I sighted a rooster on the ground in the woods. That's the one I took out. The only one there.

We bumped into some people met at a Friends of NRA banguet and they have hunted with our friends. Bumped into a member of ours from Mansfield Fish & Game who had better luck Wednesday.

Dana

I was down there yesterday as well, between 4 of us we managed to get 4 birds, although the dog got one, and 2 of them we were in some heavy woods out there.

The one I got in the woods the dog had not scented. We had been walking near some water and I saw it myself.

Lot of happy hunters getting out and some birds were taken.

Dana

I was in the far left corner of the lot, black F-350 parked by our friend in a yellow old Ford Ranger regular cab. He had a brown and white English Springer Spaniel. There were only two others in the lot at the time, we got there at 5:40AM.

Were you the Scooby Doo VW Van Major Boom Boom?? I saw it pull in, in the dark and I saw the light come on.

I skipped the last bow day to go pheasant with him, his son, and my wife. We can't go next Saturday and he is working all week. We might go Wednesday afternoon with his son and his dog, the son is about 14 years old and does all kinds of hunting.

Looks like a good deer area. We were in the tree line at the farthest field at one point and I saw two stands. If you know the path to the bridge, we had not sniffed out any birds and we got down to the point where I sighted a rooster on the ground in the woods. That's the one I took out. The only one there.

We bumped into some people met at a Friends of NRA banguet and they have hunted with our friends. Bumped into a member of ours from Mansfield Fish & Game who had better luck Wednesday.

Dana

yep that was me...lol i went into the fields as soon as i got there. i think i remember seeing a car or two but i wasn't really paying attention. i was running late due to a friend who didn't show up.

they stock that every mon, wed and fri. nights. i don't know how many they stock but the mornings after, which is tue, thur and sat., the lot is filled with hunters and dogs bu the crack of dawn. i don't have a dog so it just makes it too hard to do pheasant for me, i did get one this year though.

yes i know the bridge. before you get there, in the little area between the field and the actual spot where the bridge is, i caught 5 does on camera. i also caught a couple of bucks later on in an area close to that. but when the pheasant season started the deer moved out. i was there today moving the camera to a different spot, hopefully i found them again.

My wife and I had a good discussion of your van. Have you taken it to a Pats game?

Looked like some good variety for deer.

I went around today with another friend from Raynham looking at some different areas in Raynham and Bridgewater today. He has a couple month border collie and next year maybe he'll check out the place with all the other dogs and pheasant hunters.

I'm having more pheasant tonight for dinner.

Good information Maj. Boom Boom.

Dana

My wife and I had a good discussion of your van. Have you taken it to a Pats game?

Looked like some good variety for deer.

I went around today with another friend from Raynham looking at some different areas in Raynham and Bridgewater today. He has a couple month border collie and next year maybe he'll check out the place with all the other dogs and pheasant hunters.

I'm having more pheasant tonight for dinner.

Good information Maj. Boom Boom.

Dana

no, not to a pats game but it was been in Maine, NH, RI, CT and NJ - all over NE except for VT. the looks i get you would not believe. 99% LOVE it, the rest think its silly. which is fine by me. it was done for a child but the laughs i have had with my wife and friends makes it very much worth it.

i have had:

people zoom up to us on the highway just to take pictures

wannabee hippies having me take pictures with them in it

offers to pay me to bring it to birthday parties

women wanting "rides" of both kinds after seeing it

people wanting to have their kids sit in it

people stopping me at stores to get the story behind it

etc etc etc

and more pictures have been taken of it, and of people with it, than i can count - i am talking into the thousands. that's only the ones i have seen. there must be more because i will come out of a store or something and see people taking snapshots. i will also catch people trying to sneak pictures, which makes me laugh because i don't have a problem with it. i hear people yelling all sorts of "scooby" sayings when i drive past. people in town who i don't even know now beep and wave as if they know me. but it is the smiles, double takes, looks on peoples faces and cheers that make me smile and laugh.

true story:

my wife and i went to bps one day and i go through stoughton to get there. well this one day stoughton (unknown to me) was having a parade. on our way home we come around the corner and as we turn, we see the stands set up with people setting on them. we get around the corner and people started cheering, clapping etc. they thought we were the start of the parade! [laugh]

here is a pic for those who may not have seen it at a shoot or other posted pics of it:

View attachment 7413

as for pheasant, without having a dog and having the health issues i have, i only go out a few times a year. walking through the brush and brambles are an actual PAIN for me. if i am going to go through that much pain i at least want to have a chance at something that can help fill my freezer and not just my stomach [smile] so i would rather go deer hunting. glad to hear you had good luck getting some though!! makes you want to keep going out hunting when you actually get something doesn't it.

Honestly it had a lot to do with the dog. Didnt have one thursday, turned into a 7 hour nature hike. Had one saturday, 4 birds in 2 hours.

Maj Boom Boom, the guy I know from the other club was walking around by himself Saturday without a dog. He was having fun, he was meeting people and socializing, and then going off to do normal Saturday work. He goes to Maine a lot for deer. He's 68 years old. He got one earlier in the week there, probably when someone else flushed one.

Judging from the amount of repetitive shots, more than a couple of shooters at times go after the same bird.

Here's something good. Probably while you were still there. Four people as we drove out were walking to the left from the parking lot. Two male adults, and two very small children. All had orange hats. One adult, a boonie hat. Two children were about 4 and 8 years old. The two children had orange boonies, boots, hunting clothing, and toy guns.

Dana

Maj Boom Boom, the guy I know from the other club was walking around by himself Saturday without a dog. He was having fun, he was meeting people and socializing, and then going off to do normal Saturday work. He goes to Maine a lot for deer. He's 68 years old. He got one earlier in the week there, probably when someone else flushed one.

Judging from the amount of repetitive shots, more than a couple of shooters at times go after the same bird.

Here's something good. Probably while you were still there. Four people as we drove out were walking to the left from the parking lot. Two male adults, and two very small children. All had orange hats. One adult, a boonie hat. Two children were about 4 and 8 years old. The two children had orange boonies, boots, hunting clothing, and toy guns.

Dana

i think i may have seen the group of 4 as i remember the kids but not the toys, they could have already put them away.

i did see and talk to an older guy, who was by himself and no dog, as i was walking out on sat. but i don't think he was that old.

they either go after the same bird or they miss a lot...lol

In MA couple days more for birds, then shotgun deer season. Reminder, watch for ticks. My wife and I went for pheasants yesterday afternoon, she found one on her this morning.

Dana

Had a tick crawling up my arm on the drive home from byfield on tuesday. remember to shake out your clothes

Back
Top Bottom