1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Permit to carry application question

Discussion in 'Rhode Island Laws' started by Yelena, Dec 26, 2009.

1. plumber

plumber

RI does not require permits to possess. Unlike the Ma LTC, our "carry permit" is just that a permit to carry a handgun. There is no other permit. Long guns may be transported as need be. Handguns transported with out a carry permit may only be transported to and from your residence, an FFL, or a BONA FIDE target range ( sportsman's club ). Taking a rifle to your folks place is legal, you have the right by breathing. A handgun is grey area and not reccomended as your folks place is not a bona fide target range.

1 person likes this.
  2. red87930

red87930

Thanks Plumber. +1

3. Scrivener

Scrivener Banned

How would you describe the "blue card?"

4. plumber

plumber

The "Blue Card" is proof that you have passed a general safety exam. It is only required to PURCHACE a HANDGUN. As per 11-47-35.1 if one is LEO or possesses a town issued carry permit, you don't need a blue card. Also per the statutes, proof of hunter safety satifies the requirement as well. As well, one dose not need a blue card to purchace long guns, or to possess any firearm. If someone was to move to RI from out of state, they do not need any permits, or need to regester their firearms upon moving here. As a matter of fact, gun regestration is actually illegal per our general laws.

5. Scrivener

Scrivener Banned

As the OP specifically stated that "I had submitted my application for a permit to carry to the chief of police in Providencve to be signed." obviously a HANDGUN is involved. SHOULD the permit be issued, the "blue card" is, of course, irrelevant.

{quote]As well, one dose not need a blue card to purchace [sic] long guns, or to possess any firearm. [/quote]

Really? How does one lavfully "purchace" a handgun in RI without a blue card?

If someone was to move to RI from out of state, they do not need any permits, or need to regester [sic] their firearms upon moving here. As a matter of fact, gun regestration [sic] is actually illegal per our general laws.[/QUOTE]

Which has nothing to do with the OP's desire to get a pistol permit, purchase a pistol or carry one.

6. daddysuperfly

daddysuperfly

I hope this isn't too off topic. Can i still apply for a Non-Res in Burrillville if i have a restricted LTC in MA, or am I wasting my time?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. Blackdeek2006

Blackdeek2006

Bump for this question, minor change, no restrictions on mine.

8. tylanc

tylanc

Just did mine; got the signature at the voter registration office at City Hall. 5 minutes, no problems.

9. italianppf2

italianppf2

so you have you license to carry in RI? wow, i heard it was almost impossible. good for you!

10. CHAM12

CHAM12

denied

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  11. CHAM12

CHAM12

Still denied