Permit to carry application question

RI does not require permits to possess. Unlike the Ma LTC, our "carry permit" is just that a permit to carry a handgun. There is no other permit. Long guns may be transported as need be. Handguns transported with out a carry permit may only be transported to and from your residence, an FFL, or a BONA FIDE target range ( sportsman's club ). Taking a rifle to your folks place is legal, you have the right by breathing. A handgun is grey area and not reccomended as your folks place is not a bona fide target range.

How would you describe the "blue card?"

The "Blue Card" is proof that you have passed a general safety exam. It is only required to PURCHACE a HANDGUN. As per 11-47-35.1 if one is LEO or possesses a town issued carry permit, you don't need a blue card. Also per the statutes, proof of hunter safety satifies the requirement as well. As well, one dose not need a blue card to purchace long guns, or to possess any firearm. If someone was to move to RI from out of state, they do not need any permits, or need to regester their firearms upon moving here. As a matter of fact, gun regestration is actually illegal per our general laws.

The "Blue Card" is proof that you have passed a general safety exam. It is only required to PURCHACE [sic] a HANDGUN.

As the OP specifically stated that "I had submitted my application for a permit to carry to the chief of police in Providencve to be signed." obviously a HANDGUN is involved. SHOULD the permit be issued, the "blue card" is, of course, irrelevant.

{quote]As well, one dose not need a blue card to purchace [sic] long guns, or to possess any firearm. [/quote]

Really? How does one lavfully "purchace" a handgun in RI without a blue card?

If someone was to move to RI from out of state, they do not need any permits, or need to regester [sic] their firearms upon moving here. As a matter of fact, gun regestration [sic] is actually illegal per our general laws.[/QUOTE]

Which has nothing to do with the OP's desire to get a pistol permit, purchase a pistol or carry one.

http://www.burrillville.org/Public_... GUN PERMIT APPLICATION FORM ON 3-30-2005.pdf

I found the Burrillville application online. As far as the finger prints, do I do that at the stations or have my local PD do them and then bring them with me to the Burrillville PD? Also, do I need to demonstrate that I can fire a revolver or semi-auto? I know it says on the form NRA basic training but thought I read somewhere that a demonstration was needed?

I hope this isn't too off topic. Can i still apply for a Non-Res in Burrillville if i have a restricted LTC in MA, or am I wasting my time?

Last edited:
It was the legeslature's intent for the signature to be just a verification of residency, hence the language to allow the town clerk to attest. However, most police chiefs have ordered town clerks to not sign, because they want to have a vested interest in the process. They want to feel important. That is why the chiefs won't sign an incomplete app. If they want to get this involved in the process, why do they not follow the law and issue via 11-47-11. More people should get these chiefs to issue permits.
Back on topic, the AG will not process without the signature.

Just did mine; got the signature at the voter registration office at City Hall. 5 minutes, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom