Permethrin

Yeah, I use it to treat my boots - seems to work well, but ticks can still tell there is a meal around there someplace. I've pulled a half-dead tick out of my permethrin-treated boot before. So I usually put some DEET on me as well. Permethrin on the clothes, DEET on skin. 100% DEET on a bandanna on my hat (keeps even black flies away from my face)

If DEET isn't doing it for you, there are some repellents out that seem to work as well, maybe better: IR3535 and Picaridin. I've tried some IR3535 stuff and it does seem to do the job.

Ive had good luck with the 100% deet spray stuff. Around the bottom of pants, on the boots, wrists and hands, around the neck.

for some reason i havent got a tick in like 5 years and i routinely go busting through the brush either looking for fishing spots or pheasnt hunting i must just be lucky.

Taking a garlic pill with breakfast and dinner worked for me at keeping the ticks and chiggers away.

Might not be the best idea in a hunting situation, but otherwise it can work.

Trust me I know within one year my father and stepfather died of two different cancers and I know several people with lymes one of them it has destroyed her way of life because it went so long undiagnosed.

Also tuck your pants into your boots, and keep the sleeves tight around your wrists. Ticks crawl up to find those warm moist places to attach to, so keeping those places inaccessible is effective, as long as you take off your outer clothes and shake them off outside.

Both a brother and his wife have Lyme disease... it's no fun.

It seems every time I head out I end up pulling at least 10-15 ticks off me [frown] Does anyone use permethrin, and does it work?

I have used it for the last 5 or 6 seasons. I treat my outer garments with the permerthrin and I tuck my pants into my boots. I have not been bitten by a tick or seen a live one in the car or house since I started treating my clothing with it. The permerthrin actually bonds to the fabric and lasts for about 6 weeks. I treat my clothing and let it dry really well and then I run it through a scent free wash just to make sure that any residual odor is gone. It is supposes to be scent free when dry but I want to make sure. I prefer the Sawyer brand that is available at Cabala's. I also tried a product called Tick Block which is a liquid that you put in a plastic bag with your clothing. DSG and Wally World carry the Repel brand and I use that in a pinch. All of the products have done the job and the treatments seem to last for about about the same length of time.If you are at Cabala's and they don't have it on the shelf ask someone as they usually have more out back.

Bob

I like to think my dogs draws a lot ticks and then kills them with his frontline. Either way I hate lymes - of course if the deer population was in check it would less of a problem.