permethrin

lancecolonel

NES Member
i have a bottle of 10% permethrin and was wondering what you guys use for a dilution ratio for hunting clothing? i thought i read 10 parts water to 1 part permethrin but can't seem to find that post.....i want to make a solution that is safe to spray on boots and clothing. thanks in advance.

The commercially available pre-mixed stuff is 0.5%. I mix it a bit stronger to treat my gear but I'm not spraying it directly on myself.

Go 1%, spray it down good and bag it for a few hours to let it soak in. Then air dry, then bag it again for storage until use. The ticks are already out in force.

The ticks are already out in force.

And this year is supposed to be horrible with them. I'm no scientist but I guess the ridiculous amount of snow we got is good for them. [thinking] Little bastards.

I have a can of Sawyer .5% Permethrin I've sprayed on several hunting clothes and I don't remember ever seeing a tick on me after using it. I guess when they (the tick) contact the clothing, they just die and fall off quickly. KILL THEM ALL, I say.

FYI the military spec is for (1) 0.3oz bottle of 40% Permethrin added to 15oz of water which is 0.8% final concentration. The claim is it's good for 50 washings, but I have my doubts about that. I treat my dedicated hiking and hunting stuff once a year.

Starting page 26, instructions a little further in.
http://www.afpmb.org/sites/default/files/pubs/techguides/tg36.pdf

Permethrin definitely lasts through multiple washings. It binds to everything but rubber or plastic, but will eventually degrade or wash away, somewhat faster with UV exposure.

Anybody else notice that different brands which all claim "Permethrin" have different effectiveness and effective duration? Could be because product formulations of permethrin can vary greatly in isomeric content, or I'm just getting old stock; the emulsion has a finite shelf life -- once the ingredients settle out, no amount of shaking will bring it back. This is most obvious when you try to use an old spray bottle and find the pickup tube is blocked.

On skin, I've switched from DEET to Picaridin.

I know it works through a bunch of washing, just not sure that I'd personally go 50.

I'm not sure on the duration, but I would imagine it depends on what study they are referencing, public or .mil.

I was told by my doctor thet the ticks are showing resistance to permethrin in the latest report he got...and yes the snow helped them it insulated them from the severe cold....I have chronic Lyme and just went in for my 6 month blood test..I have had it 12 years now...but now the ticks also carry another dieases worse than lyme and has actualy killed a few people...and no medicine for it..the lyme bacteria is mutating...its called something like pooka or puzza..lol...I buy the permethrin at tractor supply...its for farm animals but same stuff we use...thats all we have to really hope to be protected/....there is some herbal stuff that repels them and works but it smells so not good for hunting...but good for yard work clothes and hunting...I use it on my dogs....it has citronella..rosemary...lemon grass...lavender.rose geranium oils.and few other oils...so far no ticks on them or me...i had some on me before using it..none now...

I was told by my doctor thet the ticks are showing resistance to permethrin in the latest report he got...and yes the snow helped them it insulated them from the severe cold....I have chronic Lyme and just went in for my 6 month blood test..I have had it 12 years now...but now the ticks also carry another dieases worse than lyme and has actualy killed a few people...and no medicine for it..the lyme bacteria is mutating...its called something like pooka or puzza..lol...I buy the permethrin at tractor supply...its for farm animals but same stuff we use...thats all we have to really hope to be protected/....there is some herbal stuff that repels them and works but it smells so not good for hunting...but good for yard work clothes and hunting...I use it on my dogs....it has citronella..rosemary...lemon grass...lavender.rose geranium oils.and few other oils...so far no ticks on them or me...i had some on me before using it..none now...

Do you have the formula for the herbal mix?

The reptilian overlords are naturally immune to Lyme disease

Given the prolific use of Frontline on dogs and Cutter Yard Guard around suburban houses, this isn't unexpected.

Haven't heard of permethrin-resistant deer ticks (Ixodes Scapularis), but certainly dog ticks and others have developed resistance, so it is possible. There are alternative pesticides like fipronil, cyfluthrin, or carbaryl. These tend to be more expensive, carcinogenic, toxic, and regulated.

Around your house and yard, anything you can do to control the rodent population will also control ticks. Or instead of killing rodents, you can kill their flea & tick passengers.
nih.gov said:
Prevention of Lyme Disease
. . .
Ixodes scapularis are widely distributed across the United States, in many areas that LD is not found to be endemic. One reason for the lack of Lyme disease in these areas is that in many parts of the US, lizards are the natural host for Ixodes ticks, and B. burgdorferi is killed when exposed to lizard blood. Thus, eliminating the hosts, or reducing vector competence for an organism (i.e. preventing the vector from acquiring or transmitting an organism) may be an effective strategy for preventing Lyme disease in humans. The major amplifying host for Borrelia burgdorferi in the U.S. is the white footed mouse (Peromyscus leucopus) [38, 39]. However, chipmunks (Tamias striatus), shrews and other small vertebrates are becoming increasingly recognized as important hosts ...

One method that has been employed for reducing local tick burden is to apply acaricides to mice, thus killing attached larval and nymphal ticks on the major amplifying host. Cardboard tubes filled with acaricide impregnated cotton can be placed around a yard or other area where mice are known to thrive. The mice then utilize the cotton in lining their nest, coating themselves with the acaricide and eliminating ticks from themselves and their nest-mates. This product appears to be effective in some environments, such as island ecologies and not in others (mainland) perhaps due to the differential impact of alternative hosts [43–45].

Although they are not important as an amplifying reservoir of B. burgdorferi, deer are an important host for maintenance of tick populations. Adult ticks prefer the white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) as the major host. The effect on Ixodes population by removal or culling of deer has been mixed. On Great Island, Cape Cod Massachusetts, and Monhegan Island, ME, the virtual elimination of deer resulted in a marked decrement in both tick population and cases of Lyme disease [46, 47]. Subtotal deer reduction did not result in a meaningful decrease in I. scapularis ticks [48]. A recent study conducted in northern New Jersey measured the number of questing Ixodes ticks during a 3 year period of active culling of the deer population. A reduction in deer density of 46.7% resulted in no decrement of tick population. In addition, human cases of LD were not affected to any discernable degree during the study period. [49]. Thus, the impact of subtotal removal of deer on Lyme disease transmission may be minimal.

Ticks everywhere down in NC this week. I soaked my pants and boots in permethrin and bloused my boots, but still got a nice little deer tick on the front of my leg just under my sock. Sneaky little f-ers. I guess I need to start spraying my socks too.

i have a bottle of 10% permethrin and was wondering what you guys use for a dilution ratio for hunting clothing? i thought i read 10 parts water to 1 part permethrin but can't seem to find that post.....i want to make a solution that is safe to spray on boots and clothing. thanks in advance.

6.85 OZ per gallon will yield a 0.5% solution.

Full instructions can be found here:

http://www.isd.net/~mhurwicz//tickproof/

Do you have the formula for the herbal mix?

Sorry I have no experience mixing permethrin, and don't have a recipe for the natural herbal preparations utilizing aromatic essential oils, but will share what I have used with success. For the past two years I have used products from the Wondercide Company (organic, natural, non toxic). They have environmental, pet and personal products. In addition to protecting my dogs from ticks, it greatly helps with mosquitos as well. Biter Fighter is their human product. I treat the yard and house with their outdoor products and use diatomaceous earth too. So far I have been very pleased. Wondercide.com

Id use the full. I spray and dry my clothes 3 times in the spring and same in fall. Ticks are horrible in Maine especially south. I spray my socks, boots, hats jacket etc.. let it all air dry, then packem in a big bag with oak leaves , dirt and pine :) As long as you let it dry you should be fine.

Anyone ever use an Picaridin base repellents?
http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Premium-Repellent-20-Percent-Picaridin/dp/B0078ZMVW0

It claims its "safer" to use on gear.
Also apparently only lasts 8 hours.

http://www.outdoors.org/publications/outdoors/2012/equipped/picaridin-vs-deet-insect-repellent.cfm
From this page it looks like maybe its marketed as a replacement for Deet against mosquitos, not permethrin.
It says it won't melt plastics like Deet, so maybe that is where the "safer" comes from.

Anyone ever use an Picaridin base repellents?
On skin, I've switched from DEET to Picaridin.

I never trusted DEET, using it made my skin crawl. Almost literally, DEET gives me a twitchy staticy feeling when I use it, no such side-effects with Picaridin. But as you mentioned, it is only good for 8 hours, so not a replacement for long-term treatments.

I'm late to the game with this I should have had them out in April but I will put some out again in the fall.

Tick tubes are quick and easy to make using recycled toilet paper tubes and dryer lint, and while we are using the pesticide permethrin (a synthetically produced pyrethroid that was originally derived from chrysanthemum flowers), our specific targeting causes virtually zero long-term environmental impact when used correctly. (Except, of course, to the ticks!)
http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/ticktubes

I'm late to the game with this I should have had them out in April but I will put some out again in the fall.
http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skillofthemonth/ticktubes
Yep, late.

If you don't feel like making your own, Damminix has brought back the commercial product, and claims that now is the right time to put them out:
TickTubes.com said:
The larvae usually hatch in July and August and wait for a blood meal. Although they are not yet carriers of the disease, they are the ticks that will most threaten you the following spring when they are nymphs. Ideally you want the tubes out before these larval ticks appear or at about the same time. That way you will arm more of the mice in time to kill these larvae. The later tubes will still reach mice, but more and more ticks will already have fed. The other time to put tubes out is in the Spring -- mid April and later, even into June.

Consumer Reports just did a test, and found most of the "natural essential oils" repellents are not worth the money, and can be hazardous to children and pets:
Consumerist said:
Likewise tests on repellants using natural plant oils like citronella, lemongrass, and rosemary didn’t live up to their marketing claims of providing long-lasting relief from insect attacks. Of the natural oil products tested by CR, none lasted more than one hour against mosquitoes, and some failed almost immediately.
They do find that synthetic oil of lemon eucalyptus (p-menthane 3,8-diol) is effective against mosquitoes.

Last edited:
I swear by Permethrin. I wouldn't go in the woods if it wasn't for that stuff. I coat my pants, shirt, socks and boots. I wear long tube socks that pull up almost to my knees when I go afield. I always wear light colored cloths so I can quickly spot them. Often times I stop and watch how long it takes them to die. The record is 8 minutes. But they all eventually die. If you watch them they get all twitchy and are obviously effed up. Then they just fall off you. I buy the Sawyer brand. It's supposed to be good for 6 washes or 45 days. I usually reapply every 3 washes or 2 to 3 weeks. I'm on top of making sure the cloths stay well treated. I buy the 24 oz bottles in 3 or 4 packs on Amazon or Ebay.

I've never mixed my own but I'm going to investigate it now. I'm going camping soon and I want to treat all my cloths (week long trip), tent, back pack, etc... So I'll need more quantity.

I don't know what I would do if the ticks became resistant to the stuff. Probably wouldn't go in the woods anymore.

EDIT:
Found it sold by the gallon!!!
http://www.amazon.com/averPak-Singl...TF8&qid=1433126058&sr=8-4&keywords=Permethrin

Hell Yea..

2nd Edit:
Really good discussion on this topic:
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,3417.0.html

Last edited:
A useful quote from that last link:

"Before you run out and buy the first 10% permethrin you find, realize that many agricultural permethrin concentrates are oil based and not water based like Permanone. Need to look around and find a water based solution for use on clothing."