Performed Burwell trigger job on my M&P9c

Hello!

I recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm Compact. Overall i was VERY happy with the gun, but the trigger left a bit to be desired. I performed the following trigger job myself:
http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob.htm

I am a knifemaker, so have extensive metalworking knowledge so was not intimidated all all with the job itself. I first took up the engagement of the sear by removing some metal on the sear, then polished the sear, rails it rides on, etc etc. The only steps i didnt perform were actually polishing the plunger, as i was already happy with the weight.

This took off a few pounds of trigger pull and i'd guess its right about 4-4.5 pounds, silky smooth, breaks nicely. A very noticible improvement over the stock trigger.

The job itself wasnt bad. I took it slowly, polishing up to 2000 grit, then mirror finishing altered parts using a modified barbers strop on a stick that i use on knives. I used Burwell's method to do this, first taking up the engagement until the gun would not fire, then taking the sear flare down until it engaged fully....I found this method posted by Dan Burwell on the M&P forums.

This gun is now a wonderful little gun, shooting like a dream!

Id recommend the trigger job for anyone who is very mechanically inclined and not afraid to do a lot of fitting, assembly, testing, and repeating. I probably did a complete teardown 10 times before i was happy.

Luckily, you can actually alter, reassemble, and test trigger pull without complete reassembly of the frame pins. A very quick process.

mp.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom