Pennsylvania Non Res. Permit

Has anyone applied for one lately? If so, what was the outcome, any problems and what not?

Planning to head out there at the end of May. Any info. would be great.

I did find a PDF. application online from the Centre County Sheriffs Dept. Anyone go through them for their permit?

Thanks

Last edited:
This exact thing has been covered a couple of times - some within the last month or two.

Look here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54840

and here:
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53256&highlight=centre+sheriff

Those are just two examples but there are others. Yes, you want to apply to Centre County. Denny Nau (the county sheriff) is a good guy when it comes to issuing (well his assistants are good at it). You should not a have any problems whatsoever. Good luck and enjoy the great state of PA when you get there. I know that open carry is legal there for residents but not sure about non-res. - and the best part is that you don't need a permit of any kind to OC. You have to love a free state.

this may be a dumb question but i figure i'll ask it anyways. i will be temporarily living in PA so i am looking to get a non-resident LTC. can I purchase a firearm with this license?

this may be a dumb question but i figure i'll ask it anyways. i will be temporarily living in PA so i am looking to get a non-resident LTC. can I purchase a firearm with this license?

You don't need a license to purchase or own firearms in PA. Licenses there exist for one reason only: to carry handguns concealed.

However, there may be issues with your temporary residency depending if what you want to buy is a long gun or a handgun. Check ATF regs on this.

A non-resident LTC does not in any way change the federal laws concerning what you can buy.

According to federal law:

1) You can buy a gun from a private individual who resides in the same state that you do.

2) You can buy a long gun from an FFL in any state (unless that state has its own screwy rules about that -- e.g., MA).

3) You can buy a handgun from an FFL in your state. If you buy a handgun from an FFL in a different state, then it MUST be transferred from that FFL to an FFL in your state of residence.

So, you can buy a long gun in PA from an FFL. You can not buy a hand gun from an FFL in PA unless it is transferred to an FFL in MA. Whether you have (or don't have) a PA non-resident permit won't change anything in regards purchasing guns in PA.

No, you can't get around the AG's regulations and/or the EOPS approved firearms roster by getting a PA non-resident permit.

Back
Top Bottom