Pelican Case Layout

I recently got my first Pelican case to transport my newly built ARs. I was going to post a thread looking for advice in laying out the foam cuts, but then I got ahead of myself and actually did it. It was a bit of a puzzle trying to fit two ARs into a ~35" long case, but they do fit pretty well.

So, how about showing your space-saving Pelican case layouts?

This is a Pelican 1700, that I picked up from Amazon for $164.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1700-...8&qid=1354371757&sr=8-2&keywords=pelican+1700

Pelican003.jpg

Pelican002.jpg

Pelican001.jpg

Get a razor blade and cut it out. Pull out foam is so gay.

Sent it from iPhone 5 LTE

THIS.

The pull out foam sucks. You want the 1 big piece of whole foam. It's much better.

I am always torn on the big Pelican cases and the other cases like The Bone Collector Plano cases that are also pretty tough and durable.

Nice layouts. I bought the Pelican 54" case and it doesn't fit in my trunk! mclina, it looks like the 36" Pelican 1700 wasn't quite long enough. Would you have been better off in the 42" Pelican 1700?

Nice layouts. I bought the Pelican 54" case and it doesn't fit in my trunk! mclina, it looks like the 36" Pelican 1700 wasn't quite long enough. Would you have been better off in the 42" Pelican 1700?

Definitely a few more inches would have helped. Especially since we can't legally have collapsible stocks here.

I'll probably get the longer case when I build up my third lower.

I do like the color though. Looks like FDE I'm guessing. Looks nice. I might get one for just my 1 AR. I want her to have lots of room when she's finished. [laugh]

THIS.

The pull out foam sucks. You want the 1 big piece of whole foam. It's much better.

I am always torn on the big Pelican cases and the other cases like The Bone Collector Plano cases that are also pretty tough and durable.
I picked up the Plano Bone Collector case at Dicks on Black Friday, now I'm inspired to play around with it!

The plano bone collector case is onsale @ amazon. $99.98 + free shipping.

This is the 54" one. It's long and might not fit your car trunk.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Scoped-Rifle-Case-Green/dp/B0042WGD5I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2MF2FFTRMT806&coliid=I3Q332TQ1LIKCU

That price is surely right. I bought the 54" black one for 2x that price, and it doesn't fit in my trunk. It only barely fits cross-wise in the back of my SUV.
It fits my AR + my Ruger 10/22 scoped + mags + 2 pistols just fine.

I chose not to get the bone collector logo one. I travel by air a fair amount. I'd like to continue to delude myself into thinking that nobody would call it a gun case if I tape labels to the outside saying "Trade Show Stand: Part 1 of 2." Part of my thinking is that it'll be less likely to attract undue attention from potential thieves.

Did it come with foam or is there a good place to get foam for Pelicans?

-JR

Depends on model, the case can be bare case (no foam). You also have your choice of pick-n-pluck foam or one solid foam. You also can get replacement foam from online store, but it's not cheap. Pick-n-pluck foam is good for pistol case. For rifle, I preferred to have one solid foam and cut out the pattern to fit your need.

Any other ways you guys are cutting out the foam? Looks like laying it all out and tracing it with chalk is a good start - then...? I picked up a cheap hot foam cutter at some craft store. Might try that out on another piece of foam from a different case first. Any one use one of these cheapo foam cutters?

I used a sharpie to trace, then used a 4" razor blade from a scraper tool. Took all of 33 min. As you can see in the post from when I said I was inspired, to when I posted the pic. And that's including, taking the picture, and uploading it.

Any other ways you guys are cutting out the foam? Looks like laying it all out and tracing it with chalk is a good start - then...? I picked up a cheap hot foam cutter at some craft store. Might try that out on another piece of foam from a different case first. Any one use one of these cheapo foam cutters?

The electric knife works great. I got mine from Walmart on sale for about $7, but it's only $10 normally. I saw a trick on Youtube to lay everything out as a mirror image of what you want, and then flip the foam after you cut it. That way the Sharpie (or chalk) lines don't show.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the benefit of cutting the foam rather than simply laying the rifle on top of the foam?

The solid foam is pretty stiff, and you would have to crush it pretty hard to get the case to shut.

Great thread, thanks! I'm thinking of asking Santa for a 1700 that I can set up to hold 2 rifles and 2 pistols. It's really all about the organization, though the motivation is a combination of these looking totally badass, and wanting locked storage for the truck.

ETA: by the way, you guys have once again underestimated the power of NES. Click on that Amazon link and you'll see that the case is now $179.99 from a third party vendor.

And this is why we can't have nice things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom