Pelham, NH Appleseed June 5-6 2010

Range: PELHAM FISH & GAME

Address: 90 Simpson Mill Rd., Pelham, NH

When: June 05-06, 2010
On-site check-in opens at 8 AM; shoot begins at 8:30 AM

Range Fee: $10 per day; Kids under 18, active military or Guard, and women are exempt

Camping available: Yes, for a nominal fee; 20 primitive, 40 w/electric and water; Fires not allowed, but grills are OK. Contact range for reservation - Mike Nastek, 978-815-1764 email - [email protected]

Hotels:
Holiday Inn Salem (I-93 At Exit 2)
1 Keewaydin Drive, Salem, NH
877-410-6681 (2.96 miles away)

La Quinta Inn & Suites Salem
8 Keewaydin Dr, Salem, NH
603-893-4722 (2.96 miles away)

Red Roof Inn
15 Red Roof Ln, Salem, NH
603-898-6422 (3.44 miles away)

Park View Inn
109 S Broadway, Salem, NH
603-898-5632 (4.06 miles away)

Great Eagle Motel
2 Sullivan Rd, Hudson, NH
603-889-3998 (4.24 miles away)

Directions:
From Interstate 93 (either north or south) get off at exit 2. Turn right at the bottom of the ramp and go to the 1st traffic light (northbound exit) or the 2nd light (southbound exit). Turn right on S. Policy St. and travel about 1 mile. Turn right onto Rt.38 south. Stay on Rt38 for 3.7 miles. Turn right onto Hobbs Rd. You'll see the blue Pelham Fish and Game sign right before Hobbs. Take Hobbs for 3/10ths of a mile and turn right on Simpson Mill Rd. Stay on Simpson Mill Rd for 1 mile. The main club entrance will be on your right.

MapQuest Map - location of Pelham Fish and Game

GPS:
Latitude: N 42° 45.5454'
Longitude: W 71° 17.8764'

Latitude: N 42.75909°
Longitude: W 71.29794°

State Laws to be aware of: Check State Laws at www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

Nearby Restaurants:
Peking Garden
150 Bridge St, Pelham, NH
603-635-7108 (2.32 miles away)

Quiznos
603-635-8342 (2.32 miles away)

T J's Roast Beef & Pizza
603-635-9906 (2.32 miles away)

Lobster Tail Restaurant & Fish
4 Cobbetts Pond Rd, Windham, NH
603-434-8245 (2.51 miles away)

Black Water Grill
43 Pelham Rd, Salem, NH
603-328-9013 (2.61 miles away)

Alicia's Diner
116 Bridge St, Pelham, NH
603-635-0992 (2.72 miles away)

Uncle Jimmy's Rib Co.
32 Horseshoe Rd, Windham, NH
603-898-1270 (2.87 miles away)

For More Information Contact: John Barnes via PM Firewall99 on the RWVA forum, phone - 888-221-8628 or email - [email protected]

Registration Link: June 5-6 http://www.eventbrite.com/event/668178540

Last edited:
This one might fill up quick, the Second Amendment Sisters of both MA and NH intend to be sending a large contingent..... so gentlemen, if you need that extra nudge to get your wife or girlfriend to the range that day, they definitely wont be the only woman!

Probably a dumb question, but I can't find an answer.

What is an apple seed shoot?

I live 3 minutes away from PF&G and am interested in signing up.

Probably a dumb question, but I can't find an answer.

What is an apple seed shoot?

I live 3 minutes away from PF&G and am interested in signing up.

Right off the website:

The Appleseed Program is designed to take you from being a simple rifle owner to being a true rifleman. An American tradition, the rifleman has been defined as a marksman capable of hitting a man-sized target from 500 yards away - no ifs, ands or buts about it. This 500-yard range is traditionally known as "the rifleman's quarter-mile." A rifleman can hit just about any target he can see within that radius. Marksmanship skill (albeit with smoothbore muskets) was particularly evident in the birth of our country, and was the difference in winning the Revolutionary War, right from the first day.

In short sign up, bring a rifle, we'll teach you how to score real hits out to 500 yards using scaled targets without shooting from sandbags a bench rest or bipod and you'll learn a little about the most important day in american history (in my opinion) along the way.

Bump. Plenty of spaces open but only a month left to register. Sign up now and reserve your spot!

Has anyone from SAS-MA contacted you (or whoever is monitoring registrations)? I know that they are sending up a significant number of attendees (~15+) but asked attendees NOT to register thru Appleseed but to list themselves with the MA Coordinator of SAS.

For you folks who have been here before, which motel is better?

Do they list recommendations on the Appleseed site?
I live in Pelham, so I wouldn't know about which hotels are better in terms of amenities or comfort. However in terms of travel time and easy navigation, I would probably go with the Holiday inn in Salem. It's right off exit 2 of 93, it's 1 side street away from route 38 which brings you right by the Pelham Fish and Game.
And as a bonus, Margaritas Mexican Restaurant and Cantina is in the same parking lot [cheers]

I'm considering signing up for this since I'm new to rifles.

I read the site and FAQ's. I don't have iron sites on my rifle, only an ACOG clone. Am I going to get pointed out or given a hard time?

I only own my .22 SW MP15-22, Will I get the same experience as if I owned a larger caliber? Can i participate in all aspect of the shoot?

Any tips or advice for a first timer?

DO IT!
I read the site and FAQ's. I don't have iron sites on my rifle, only an ACOG clone. Am I going to get pointed out or given a hard time?
No, shoot what you have. Irons are good because they are more universal and teach you the basics. However, as long as you have some sort of optics capable of producing 4 moa groups you're good, so probably not something with a 4moa red dot as that would cover the whole target... The shoot I went to had a mix of scopes, irons, whatever else people want to use. No one will give you crap.
I only own my .22 SW MP15-22, Will I get the same experience as if I owned a larger caliber? Can i participate in all aspect of the shoot?
Most shooters at an appleseed use 22 for the entire event. Due to the fact that you will probably be shooting about 1000 rounds. You will not miss out on anything.
Get Extra magazines, enough to load 40 rounds. Preferably enough to load more than that so you can have extra mags prepped and you won't have to rush between AQT's.

Get a usgi sling http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=10&cat_id=0

Learn how to use it http://www.archive.org/details/Rifle_Marksmanship_with_M1_Rifle_Part_1
-Awesome 1940's war department video, training soldiers on the M1 rifle. Goes over sling use, shooting positions, sight adjustment, estimating wind... Really great video.

Get a shooting mat, Midway has one on sale for $25 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=169107

You don't NEED all of these things (other than the magazines, it is hard to make the 4 min deadline if you are reloading magazines on the line), but based on my experience they will make your weekend more successful and comfortable. Read the lists of what to bring and the FAQ's on the Appleseed site, too.

Also, lately I have seen a lot of internet commandos crapping all over Appleseed because Appleseed conducts it's training at 25 meters. Appleseed teaches you the techniques required to be a better marksman. No one should expect to take their rifleman patch and march over to the 600 yard range and win a high power match without lots of additional practice and training. Just as, no one walks out of drivers ed expecting to beat Mario Andretti in a race!
Just ignore the "I can shoot farther than you" pissing contests, Appleseed is excellent training conducted by excellent people.

Lastly, when you are out there on the line, if you are getting frustrated or just not hitting the groups you would like speak up get an instructor over and ask them for help. They are really good about walking the line and pointing out anything that they see but they can't help and you can't improve if you don't ask the questions. that's what they are there for.

You don't NEED all of these things (other than the magazines, it is hard to make the 4 min deadline if you are reloading magazines on the line), but based on my experience they will make your weekend more successful and comfortable. Read the lists of what to bring and the FAQ's on the Appleseed site, too.

LOT of good advice in this post. Where you may have a problem, Derek, is finding three more 10 round mags for that 15-22. Try to get them if you can. Apparently S&W had some but they're sold out again. Anyway, you'll definitely want four if you can get them.

Here's a thread on what to bring. Ignore the part about bring 400 rounds. You're in New England and we Yankees shoot a LOT. (We make a lot of Riflemen, too...) Bring a thousand rounds, minimum. 1200 just to be sure.

I see you're in the same town as I am. If you want to meet up for lunch or sometime after work, just shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to go over it all with you.

Derek,
If you're using an AR type in 22LR you may want to consider using just the iron sights to start out with - Now that I read your post carefully I see you don't have irons...run the scope thing. If you can scrounge irons, try - otherwise, run what ya brung - based on your lack of doors you should have no problem. PM me if you'd like a b-u rifle

having 5 mags is a plus, 4 minimum - a sling of some sort is key too. Be familiar with prepping mags and charging the rifle - how to handle malfunctions safely - SAFELY - is key above all else.

Also - Bring an open mind and/or check your ego at the door - we will work with you as long as you are willing to work with us. Bring a notebook/pen if you like, bring lunch and maybe coffee - donuts for snacks are fine, for scores not so much but we'll help you with that part.

Oh - Ammo - about a brick - the key is to have stuff that works reliably in your rifle

We wont give you a hard time unless you earn it ;)

See you there
Sprocket

If every shooter brings their own stapler (and staples), it would significantly reduce "dwell time" at the target line and therefore - more time shooting!

Even one stapler for every two shooters would be a great start.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointers! I'm really looking forward to this event. I feel it will be a great vacation for me from my countless hours of class time I'm spending this summer.

dwarven1, thanks a ton for the offer! unfortunately I live in Salem now for school, Marlboro is my parents house. If I had the time to make it home I'd definitely take you up on the offer.

dwarven1, thanks a ton for the offer! unfortunately I live in Salem now for school, Marlboro is my parents house. If I had the time to make it home I'd definitely take you up on the offer.

Well, hell... if you live in NH, you can buy 25 rounders for that 15-22. Only problem is you can't bring 'em to your parent's house... and they're gonna stick out a bit when you're trying to shoot prone. But hey, a Rifleman persists... so I'm sure you'll find a way around it. [wink]

Do what I did - go to Staples and buy some pushpins and hand them out.

IMO, they are great unless our target backers are cardboard and the weather doesn't cooperate. The tacks seem work MUCH better on the corrugated plastic. The amount of times people had to sit out on our line due to thumbtacks popping out at Harvard in April was pretty frustrating. I hate to see an AQT go to waste because the wind is blowing your target around.

I know I'll at least be bringing my stapler for use on whatever line i'm on.

IMO, they are great unless our target backers are cardboard and the weather doesn't cooperate. The tacks seem work MUCH better on the corrugated plastic. The amount of times people had to sit out on our line due to thumbtacks popping out at Harvard in April was pretty frustrating. I hate to see an AQT go to waste because the wind is blowing your target around.

I know I'll at least be bringing my stapler for use on whatever line i'm on.
Well, yeah... April was kind of wet. Of course, when the corrugated plastic gets wet you can just stick the target to it and dispense entirely with tacks and staples! [laugh]

Good one, I forgot about the staple gun. Staple gun is a key component!
Also, don't do what I did and bring staples that don't actually fit in the stapler![slap]
Apparently I was being too subtle...

Here's a thread on what to bring.

Click on the link above and it will take you to a good thread on what to bring... including staple guns. [wink]

Would I miss out on a lot if I don't attend the shoot on Sunday? I mostly only work Sundays and its hard to miss out on time and a half being a poor college kid.

Saturday is all instruction with practice in the afternoon

Sunday is mostly practice with some drills to work out bugs

Go on Saturday if it's your first one - That's the day we teach the skills, after that it's all practice

Back
Top Bottom