Pelham man accidentally shoots self while hunting

Palladin

NES Member
The Lowell Sun
Article Last Updated: 09/21/2008 06:43:46 AM EDT

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_10523207

RUMNEY, N.H. (AP) -- A Pelham deer hunter was hospitalized yesterday after accidentally shooting himself in the leg in Rumney.

Fish and Game says 55-year-old Alrick Hammar was bow hunting from a tree stand on Rattlesnake Mountain when he stood to stretch around 8:40 a.m.

Sgt. Brian Suttmeier said Hammar had a handgun in his pocket, which snagged on something as he stood. The gun went off, wounding Hammar in the leg.

Hammar called for help on a cell phone, then walked part of the way out of the woods to meet rescuers.

He was taken to Speare Memorial Hospital in Plymouth with a non-life-threatening wound.

In MA, they would have arrested him for having the firearm while bowhunting!

Holsters that cover the trigger are a good thing.

When I first read the article, I thought he accidentally shot himself in the leg with his bow. That would take 'talent'.

I am the only person professional enough to handle a Glock forty!

Seems like most all examples of someone accidentally shooting themselves because the 'gun went off' is at the hand of a Glock, with their famous 'safety'.

Safety lies between the ears as one infamous DEA agent found out. [grin]

I would say any pistol that does not have a seperate engaging saftey. Should be in some sort of sturdy holster. Now that I think about it, all pistols should be in some sort of holster.

Seems like most all examples of someone accidentally shooting themselves because the 'gun went off' is at the hand of a Glock, with their famous 'safety'.

That is cool. I didnt know about the safety issue because I know nothing of Glocks.

I bowhunt alot...and dealing with treestands/trees and climbing, sticks and limbs and saftety harnesses, ropes....... A lot of things can get snagged up on stuff. If I were carrying my Glock while bowhunting or any other pistol it would likely be on an empty chamber........

Glock safeties work just fine as long as you keep your booger hook and other foreign objects off the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom