• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PD PAYCHECKS and PRIVACY

Give me a little feeedback. The PD provides paychecks weekly for its Police Officers, clearly nothing new here. But, up until a couple years ago, they came individually sealed in envelopes for "privacy". Well, in a cost saving measure? the City since sends the paychecks over (from city hall) in bulk. So, every John Doe Cop in the chain or every City Hall Employee in the chain can view / review / see every Police Officers Paycheck. Does this sound right? Isn't there a right of workplace privacy? What are your thoughts. BTW, the Police Union wishes not to pursue such " a minor issue".

Everyone knows what the police / firefighters, etc base salary is. Everyone knows how much your detail rate is also. Don't sweat it. The public all assume that cops are all making 6 figures right out of the academy anyway.

There is a huge difference from the private sector. I have worked jobs where the boss warns you that he fires guys that discuss how much he is paying them with other employees.

City officials salaries are listed in the town's annual report, so it's not just every John Doe Cop in the chain or every City Hall Employee who knows how much you make.

Its every citizen with a copy (You know the ones you actually work for) who know.

If a citizen takes the time to pick up a copy of that report, you can bet they care about what's happening in their town.

...and they vote on issues like the town budget, and your department's budget.

Besides you don't really expect to have a right to privacy, do you ? [laugh]

I wouldn't make a fuss out of it, considering that anyone who knows how to file a FOIA request can probably find out what you are making anyways. When you feed from the public trough, what you make is no longer "sacred".

-Mike

Yes, I know the public has a right to know about "Gross Pay" , and I know that the salaries are printed in the paper. That is not the issue. I am concerned about the other privacy issues...ex: how much I pay in Fed. or State Taxes , how much I put into voluntary retirement ( Def. Comp), how much in union dues, what bank I use , other Garnishments , how much in health care cost , how many dependants? ETC.

Also, as LE, the Public does not have a right to know Where I Live! And right on the paycheck and attached summary are all the above PRIVATE items.

They should be sealed. Not every Tom, Dick, and Desk Sergent needs to see you are paying child support, putting money into a deferred compensation plan, credit union, garnished wages, etc.

We had the same problem at my agency, they went to sealed checks after we complained

I wouldn't make a fuss out of it, considering that anyone who knows how to file a FOIA request can probably find out what you are making anyways. When you feed from the public trough, what you make is no longer "sacred".

-Mike

Feeding from the 'public trough'? You really want to live in a country with no law enforcement? The 'old days' that everyone wants to revert to were not the good old days. Most crimes went unsolved or at best a person was caught and dealt with without a trial.

We can discuss cutting management all you want. Most of it is a waste of money, you won't get an argument from me. But come work one day with me on the southern border and I'll bet you'll agree I earned every damn cent I was ever paid.

edit for stupid spelin eror.

I would have a huge problem with this as my paycheck has my social security number and personal info on the check. I guess any other cop could run your info anyways through the system and get your birthday and personal info so i guess it is not as big a deal as with private companies with varying salaries for the same job.

Yes, I know the public has a right to know about "Gross Pay" , and I know that the salaries are printed in the paper. That is not the issue. I am concerned about the other privacy issues...ex: how much I pay in Fed. or State Taxes , how much I put into voluntary retirement ( Def. Comp), how much in union dues, what bank I use , other Garnishments , how much in health care cost , how many dependants? ETC.

Also, as LE, the Public does not have a right to know Where I Live! And right on the paycheck and attached summary are all the above PRIVATE items.

I'd be pretty pissed if my employer did that, and most of the the people I deal with in my line of work don't want to kill me. (Most.)

Last edited:
Maybe all city departments operate like that PD does.

I had to pick up the payroll for a department a few times.

The first time I went, I expected to be asked for ID, since I don't wear any sort of uniform or carry employee ID. No ID was requested from me, not even a question to me as to what my name is.

I was handed 3 envelopes with checks for over 200 employees, 3 business size envelopes. The envelopes was not sealed in any way.

The 'old days' that everyone wants to revert to were not the good old days. Most crimes went unsolved or at best a person was caught and dealt with without a trial.

I don't know, there are many cases like that where it's the only way to get justice. Lynch mob ... close enough [laugh]

I think that beyond the gross pay, that's really screwed up. I think that with holdings etc. information are private and should be protected, of course the reality is you are too low on the totem poll with the rest of us, peons.

Why dont they use direct deposit, I thought most places were doing that now? Wait, that would probably save the town money, cant be having that.

WE have and I USE Direct Deposit. But the city produces the same document as a "Paper check" for those with direct deposit. The only difference between the two....is the background color of the paper and the addition of " this is a receipt/ acknowledgement of direct deposit" listed on the paper. So the top of the paper looks like a check and the bottom of the paper has all the other Personal Privacy Information, which I am concerned by....as listed previously.

WE have and I USE Direct Deposit. But the city produces the same document as a "Paper check" for those with direct deposit. The only difference between the two....is the background color of the paper and the addition of " this is a receipt/ acknowledgement of direct deposit" listed on the paper. So the top of the paper looks like a check and the bottom of the paper has all the other Personal Privacy Information, which I am concerned by....as listed previously.

Oh, ya legally theyre still required to give you a paystub but our company doesnt print them anymore, we can access them online if we need to print one off.

We had a similar system as you do. In our case, the checks and direct deposit sheets were printed out by the Town Hall staff. The Chief would send a department runner to town hall for all the checks/deposit slips. They went into a drawer in the secure part of the station. We weren't concerned that co-workers could see each others info. If that is a concern in your department, you have even bigger fish to fry.

Both the Federal Government and the Comm of Mass have privacy laws in place which require safeguards over personal information.

Mass laws specifically cover employee records for residents of the Commonwealth. For instance, the combined information found on a paycheck- A person's name in combination with other info ie , ss#, or Drivers license #, or bank account information is subject to these new safeguard rules that went into effect a couple of years ago. So the bottom line, a paycheck is without a doubt right up there with the most personal of info that needs to be safeguarded. More details are needed for your specific situation to see if there are reasonable safeguards in effect, if not the Mass penalties are pretty severe.

Having said all that, I just looked at the Mass law and unbelievably, it applies to any employer ..."other than an agency, executive office, department, board, commission, bureau, division or authority of
the Commonwealth, or any of its branches, or any political subdivision thereof."
. Which includes municipalities ! Why these employers are exempted makes no sense whatsoever.

The best thing to do, is go on record in writing with whomever is the responsible person for reporting privacy concerns, and explain your concern. These reports can not be ignored.

Here's an idea: If you don't like the fact that, as a public employee, your employment information is public....go get a job in the private sector. My paycheck comes in a sealed envelope every time.

Otherwise, realize that when you signed up for a public job, shit was gunna be public.

Here's an idea: If you don't like the fact that, as a public employee, your employment information is public....go get a job in the private sector. My paycheck comes in a sealed envelope every time.

Otherwise, realize that when you signed up for a public job, shit was gunna be public.

You're missing the point. The data on his paystub is not public information. (Or at least it's not supposed to be.) Gross pay at the end of the year, sure. His home address, social, how much money he can afford to put into his 401K every week, not so much. I'd be pretty pissed about this too.

All of ours got moved to electronic format, "delivered" via the ADP site. If I know my employer it was cheaper to do it this way, so maybe worth asking around to see if that's an option.

All of ours got moved to electronic format, "delivered" via the ADP site. If I know my employer it was cheaper to do it this way, so maybe worth asking around to see if that's an option.

This is the way most private sector employers have gone. You can log into a secure website to view or download your paystub if you wish. The days of printed out paper checks and paystubs are largely gone.

IMHO this is a minor issue, I used to put my stub up on my toolbox as a tech because others were complaining about how much I made, they stopped pretty damn quick. Anyway if you want to get it in an envelope check to see if it has anything at all about your medical deductions then it may be in violation of HIPPA to not have it in an envelope

You're missing the point. The data on his paystub is not public information. (Or at least it's not supposed to be.) Gross pay at the end of the year, sure. His home address, social, how much money he can afford to put into his 401K every week, not so much. I'd be pretty pissed about this too.

You don't think the people that employ me know all that information? The public is his employer.

Back
Top Bottom