Park carry in Connecticut.

Ok, so i was wondering if there are any laws against carrying a firearm in a public state park. Such as Sleeping Giant State park in Hamden. I thought I saw somewhere that you can't but couldn't find wherever I heard/read that from. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBforum/showthread.php?t=4754

The DEP explains it here..Yes you can carry(If you have a CT Permit)...the only part not true is that it DOES not have to be concealed..

PARK & FOREST GENERAL
Section 23-4-1. (c) Hunting/weapons. Hunting or carrying of firearms, archery equipment or other weapons, including but not limited to air rifles and slingshots, is not permitted in any state park or forest except as authorized by the Department of Environmental Protection. All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted thereunder.

The CGS does NOT ban the carrying of handguns in State Parks.

Last edited:
The statute is slightly confusing in that it first states that the "carrying of firearms" is prohibited then states that all carrying or use of weapons is subject to CGS. There is another thread on this subject over at: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum14/43470-1.html, where this issue was discussed and one poster has several emails going back and forth with the DEP EnConPolice. Obviously if the park has signs at the entrance for no carry than its no carry there.

To: Rich B
Sent: Tue, May 11, 2010 8:53:56 PM
Subject: RE: Carrying of firearms at state parks

Rich,
Yes this is a particularly busy time for us here at DEP. I was out of the office and apologize for not getting back to you immediately. I will be out of the office again for a few days of training but am here tonight for a meeting and will respond now. The regulation states in part 'carrying of firearms...is not permitted'. The part stating 'except as authorized by the DEP'...would refer to the fact that there are some state parks open to hunting, thus people are allowed or 'authorized' to carry firearms in those parks. EnCon Police would take whatever appropriate action with a violation of regulations. The question of an arrest or detention would depend on the specific circumstances. Our officers use their own judgment on each call. If an officer did make an arrest it may or may not be directly for CGS 23-4-1(c), it would depend on the situation. I realize this doesn't exactly answer your question, but when it comes to a hypothetical arrest, it is hard to speculate on what might occur. Again, Sorry for the delayed response.
Matt
To which this email reply was sent:
Matt,
I should probably also add that I am concerned about the conflicting view points from the EnCon police on this matter. The following forum post was brought to my attention, and it sends completely the opposite message from what I am hearing now. I am of course assuming that Captain Raul Camejo is who he says he is. Feel free to correct me if my assumption is in error.

http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBforum/showthread.php?t=4754

This is a serious issue that could result in a conflict and the possible arrest of permitted firearm owners for legal advice they have received from the same law enforcement division that would be tasked with their arrest.

It is my opinion that the EnCon police need to get on the same page about this topic before someone gets in trouble. The current state of things is very confusing. I recommend a declaratory ruling be made regarding this topic and signs posted at each of the state parks as well as a notice on the state park websites if firearms are not permitted. Otherwise, how would most people know this? The idea of not being able to carry a firearm for defense in a park when you may carry one anywhere else in the state is certainly not intuitive.

Thanks,
Rich B

I have personally never seen a no firearms sign at any CT State Park/Forest...Where would they even put them? Most are so big with so many entrances...

In the Opencarry link I posted above, one poster (Leverdude) claims to have seen a no firearms sign at either Fort Griswald & Fort Trumbull state parks.
I was at Fort Griswald & Fort Trumbull state parks last year & while I forget which one it was I saw a sign plain as day that stated firearms were prohibited from state parks. Neither place was one that you might want to hunt so I think the statute goes beyond hunting regulations. I'm thinking that initially it was hunting focused but in time seemed a good PC thing to use as a general rule.
I've never seen one either but that's not to say that some parks might ban firearms. In New Haven the parks (which are city parks I believe) like East Rock and Edgewood ban firearms. Don't know if they have posted signs though.

Hmm...I wonder if these signs even hold any real weight...I know our Judicial Preemption is weak..but being as this is State Property..I think if the Legislaure intended to ban firearms in parks they would havewritten it into law...

There is this little gem buried in the statues...
Sec. 29-28. Permit for sale at retail of pistol or revolver. Permit to carry pistol or revolver. Confidentiality of name and address of permit holder. Permits for out-of-state residents.
(e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises control over such premises.
No clue what the punishment would be though. I would assume that at the very least they would ask you to leave, but they could have your pistol permit revoked "for cause".

I pondered this same question last year because I spend alot of time in parks myself. I ended up calling DEP, and after getting transferred to the right department, the officer I spoke to told me, "As long as no one complains, I dont see a problem with carrying your gun(concealed)."

I told him my reasoning...I said, "I know there are bear, moose, large cats, etc in CT, and if I happen to stumble upon one while hiking/biking, I dont want to be its dinner. I have no intention of hunting them." Jokingly, he said, "You dont have to outrun the animal, just your slowest buddy." To which I not so jokingly responded, "I AM the slowest buddy."

I asked him about 2 specific parks, Huntington State Park, and the Pequonnock River Valley Park, which apparently falls under Sherwood Island's jurisdiction. Other parks may have different rules and regulations, or the DEP officer I spoke with might of had no idea what he was talking about. So take this at your own discretion.

One other thing to consider is that handgun hunting with centerfire guns is not legal in CT. The game laws say that possession of an illegal hunting firearm is prima facia evidence of poaching.
So whats this all mean? Basically, it means that you don't want to bring your 8" scoped Super Red Hawk with you hiking in November. . . at night.

The conservation officers I've spoken with about this are very reasonable. One said to me, lets face it, we know if I guy is just carrying a gun and hiking or if he's poaching.

I'm not saying to change what you carry, just be aware of these apparently conflicting laws.

Back
Top Bottom