Para or S&W 1911 for IDPA

I'm actually a lefty and need the ambi safety to shoot strong hand. Wish they made a lefty version but what can you do... I'm going to pick up the full stainless this week so I can start practicing. thanks again for all the info.

Where are you from? Near Harvard, MA? Good IDPA group there if you're interested.

Hey Guys,

Went to the shop today and decided that S&W is the way I'm going to go. It feels much better in my hand than the Para's for some reason. I'm looking at 108284 which is the standard 5" 1911 in stainless with ambi safety and adjustable rear sight or the SW1911PD Tactical Rail Series which is a little lighter because of the Scandium Alloy Frame. Both are the same price. Which would you guys recommend? Can I go wrong either way?

Light weight guns are great to carry but the heavier guns will shoot better (less recoil) and generally take more abuse. Cooper once said that aluminum framed 1911s were made to be "Carried often and shot seldom."

I'm actually a lefty and need the ambi safety to shoot strong hand. Wish they made a lefty version but what can you do... I'm going to pick up the full stainless this week so I can start practicing. thanks again for all the info.

Don't be afraid to jump right into shooting matches with your new gun.

Rails are no problem at all---David
Thanks, you know I think I've asked that before and gotten the same answer. I wonder why it doesn't stick?

Respectfully,

jkelly

The only issue with rails is that you might have a harder time finding a holster that fits a gun with a rail. Not an issue for Glocks, but it is an issue for 1911s.

Thanks, you know I think I've asked that before and gotten the same answer. I wonder why it doesn't stick?

Respectfully,

jkelly

LOL.... We're getting old my friend. Not much we can do about that. But it doesn't matter as long as we still know how to have fun! [wink]

Back
Top Bottom