Painful shooting-Need suggestions

Not sure which forum this should go in, so feel free to move it.

I just picked up a new S & W 1911 SC over the weekend and went out to the range.

I did two magazines and quit because it flat out hurt to shoot. I'm not sure how much of it was due to the cold weather, but the most painful part was those beautiful checkered grips that...no I won't replace. I'm not recoil sensitive and have owned 1911s before, but never had this problem. I was thinking maybe a shooting glove.

Thoughts?

A solution

You're suffering from "commercial ammo" just like I was not long ago. I've got a P13-45 which I loved to own but hated to shoot. I'm an active shooter with lots of experience but nothing I could do would allow me to do double-taps with any kind of accuracy. So, I had two choices, both, however, involved ammo.

First, I could respring the gun and shoot light loads. That's what the serious competitive shooters do. However, I didn't want to go through that and hoped that I'd find a load that worked with the original springing.

I did find that load quite by accident.

I was given some .45 ammo that was loaded with 5.5 grains of Herco with F150 primers in a swap that I worked. When I tried it, I was thrilled with the results. No longer was I getting whacked.

Now, I don't reload but my good friend does. I have him the formula and he made me a 220 grain round-nose lead bullets as well as a load of semi-wadcutters. Well! I was shocked as to how well the Para acted when fed that load. I can easily double tap, now, and I could shoot all afternoon without any wrist fatigue.

So, I'd recommend that you have someone you know, personally, load up some .45 ammo with that formula. I have also experimented with other loads using unique powder without success. They would either be no change or were loaded too lightly for the Para to function properly. The Herco powder made all the difference in the world. I'm in CT. If you are close by to the Mass/CT border, I'd be happy to meet you and share some of the rounds for you to try.

Rome

You might consider getting the rubber grips similar to those that come on the standard 1911. Get used to the gun with those and see if that improves your situation.

Keep the original grips and deal with them after you are rock-solid shooting with the rubber grips.

You might contact S&W Tech Supt about it. It's possible that the checkering is just too sharp and they might have a better solution than sandpapering the grips.

Not sure which forum this should go in, so feel free to move it.

I just picked up a new S & W 1911 SC over the weekend and went out to the range.

I did two magazines and quit because it flat out hurt to shoot. I'm not sure how much of it was due to the cold weather, but the most painful part was those beautiful checkered grips that...no I won't replace. I'm not recoil sensitive and have owned 1911s before, but never had this problem. I was thinking maybe a shooting glove.

Thoughts?

Some of what you're experiencing is just the nature of the beast. I've
been "bitten" by a 1911SC as well, but it's certainly not most painful gun
in that regard. I had no problem shooting my friend's 1911SC but it
is certainly not a gun where I could fire a case of ammo through it in one
sitting.

Some of it might depend on the size of your hand, etc.

Make sure you're gripping the gun correctly.... sometimes a poor
grip can result in unnecessary pain. I also second Len's recommendation
about trying different grip panels.

-Mike

Gloves or regrip. You'll definitely feel it more in the cold.

It could also be that the reduced weight of the scandium frame is causing the perceived recoil to be greater.

If you live by Smith and Wesson in Springfield, take a trip to their shooting sports center and try yours side by side with a full weight steel frame rental and see if there's a difference or borrow a friend's if you can.

Dave,

Try shooting it with a "high thumb". In other words, put your right thumb on top of the safety when you shoot it. It makes the pistol feel quite different; I find that it's much tamer.

Thanks all

For the great tips. I think the problem is a combination of all these things, lighter gun weight, grip, loads, sharp checkering etc.

I've had a full sized 1911 before and never had this problem. It just surprised me how different the recoil was.

I'm going to try all the suggestion in order from easiest to hardest and if that doesn't work, I'll just give the gun away :)

Appreciate it!

yesterday, at the Easter bunny shoot with the Goose's, my wife shot my Sc for the first time and had 2-3 light strikes in which the round didn't go off.

This is weird as I have never had one problem at all when I shoot it.

I watched her and noticed that she was limp wristing it as the recoil would make her end up with the gun pointing straight up. I had her take a firmer grip, but that didn't help much.

I gave her my 1911a1 govt Colt and she had no problems keeping the muzzle down at all.

I never thought there was much of a difference in recoil between the sc and the regular 1911. I really don't notice the difference, but she did.

I'd suggest a different firmer grip on the gun, with stiff wrists and see if it's anymore comfortable. It could be that the motion of the gun in your hand during recoil is causing your problem.

Some EXCELLENT info given here and I am not going to argue with anyone's info, I will only add some.

You may try turning the firearm to about 10 o'clock if you are right handed and 2 o'clock if you are left. Cross the thumbs behind the firearm and hold the dominant arm straight. I, and this is just what I do, I use my NORMAL trigger finger and point it at the target and have it rest against the firearm and below the slide., I then use the next finger as the trigger finger. This may not work for you but I found it worked well for me and even helped with my aiming. I never shot Defense and only fired Combat Pistol E.I.C. Matches, so maybe my info may be of no use for you.
Twisting the firearm slightly changes the angle of the wrists and allows them to lock better and absorb the recoil without taking off, as much on you.

Last edited:
I do not recommend that. It's a good way to get your thumb hit by the slide.

Only if you cross them HIGH. I wasn't trying to imply to cross them at the Thumbnail. I am talking about a low cross at the base of the thumb and the thumbs wil be no higher on the grip than they are uncrossed. Try it. I shot that way and it gave me a much better grip.

Dave,

Try shooting it with a "high thumb". In other words, put your right thumb on top of the safety when you shoot it. It makes the pistol feel quite different; I find that it's much tamer.

I second this method...A fine gentleman from this forum got me shooting my 1911 that way, and I notice a big difference in my shooting. It also makes a big difference when it comes to being able to reset and be able to take a second shot a whole lot sooner.

Sorry, Wingwiper, but that doesn't work for me. For 1911s, I strongly recommend a high thumb grip, with both thumbs pointed forward and the right thumb riding on top of the safety. The left palm should have a very good purchase on the left grip panel. This is the same style grip used by most competitors (e.g., Doug Koenig, etc.). It works.

The left palm should have a very good purchase on the left grip panel. This is the same style grip used by most competitors (e.g., Doug Koenig, etc.). It works.

I think that is the link that we are making about looking at the grip and the original posters question. When you have the correct high grip, the checkering is put in the right place and it's aggressiveness is put to work against the recoil. So if you change grip, you may find that what was hurting before starts to help.

Folks

In this First site, the bottom picture shows what I was referring to and how I was comfortable in shooting. I was taught this by an Excellent Pistol Shooter in a different disciplin.

On the other hand, this second website shows what may be what m1911 is referring to. No doubt there are EXCELLENT shooters from boths sides of the fence and one needs to find what best works for them and allows them to achieve the level of competence they are striving for in their type of disciplin.
I have smaller hands and found the first site to work better for me. With out doubt, the second sight shows a method that works as well and maybe even better by many shooters too. I never had a problem with the slide and had to do a magazine change during a Rapid Fire String.

I second this method...A fine gentleman from this forum got me shooting my 1911 that way, and I notice a big difference in my shooting. It also makes a big difference when it comes to being able to reset and be able to take a second shot a whole lot sooner.

+1! Dave got me shooting like this, and I LOVE it!

Wingwiper: If you haven't tried the thumb-forward grip, I suggest that you give it a try. Note that the support thumb does NOT press against the frame. It may not feel "right" at first, but give it time and a good test.

I was originally trained in the "thumb-on-top-of-thumb" grip, and shot that way for many years. I've found thumb-forward (or high-thumbs) to be better for me in accuracy and speed.

M1911

I am what is referred to as a HAS BEEN now. My shooting ended a few years back.
I do have a Berretta and will give it a try. When I saw the video and I saw the control during the recoil, I was quite amazed. I wonder why we weren't taught that method. Oh well! another day, anther lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom