PA63 and CZ52

Garys

NES Member
Two different guns, two different rounds, I know. I have a couple of questions about both, so I thought I'd combine them.

How rare is the 9x18 Makarov ammuntion in the US?
How rare is the 7.62x25 ammo in the US?
I know that the CZ52 is a C&R pistol, so it's legal for me to buy and bring into MA. OTOH, the PA63 is NOT C&R but was made before 1998. Can a MA dealer sell it?

Okay, enough dumb questions for today.

Gary

I'll try to help

I'm a relative newbie to both, but that means we are both on the learning curve.

I bought a Makarov a while back and I have found 9 X 18 ammo not only available, but CHEAP at various gun stores in MA. As low as $8 for a box of 50.

The Maks are C & R and so are the CZ52's and I just bought one of those. The PA63 is not MA compliant as you state and the only way you can get one is if it was actually owned in MA prior to 1998. In other words, you can't buy one from out of state and ship it here. Maks are better anyway.

I also haven't had any trouble finding 7.62 X 25 ammo although it is a bit more pricey that the Mak stuff.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Getting a Makarov here in Mass is pretty tough. You can't have one sent from SOG to a dealer in Mass because it has to be a gun already in Mass. Its kinda confusing but the biggest thing you need to know is that only certain (and a small number) Maks are C&R. I believe those are the old Russian ones. A few online dealers get them every once in a great while but don't hold yer breath waiting for one to pop up.
CZ52s on the other hand are C&R and i'm pretty sure can be owned here in Mass only by us C&R holders.[smile] 762x25 ammo isn't as hard to get as you think. Last gun show I picked up a few boxes of Wolf Gold from the NY guys and its great ammo. A few diferent companies make it and theres always tons of the corrosive stuff laying around, but shooting that is like shooting old 303, click.... click.... boom sometimes because of the old primers. But companies like S&B, Wolf, and a few others still make ammo for it. Just stock up when ya can.
CZ52s are accurate, fun to shoot, easy to work on.

Here's a clarification of C & R status for some Maks

This is from makarov.com. I Bought my EG Mak in MA a couple of weeks ago and I believe Four Seasons had one that lasted on the shelf about two seconds. They do pop up and the EG versions are definitely C & R.

Which Makarovs are considered Curios and Relics?

"While the list of C&R weapons includes both the East German and Russian Makarovs, the general concensus is that only the original Russian military Makarovs are included among the Russian guns. That is, the commercially produced Baikal IJ-70 with a rear target sight does not qualify under the spirit of the C&R law. While there are some dealers that will sell IJ-70s to C&R licensed individuals, we recommend that you do not engage in such a transaction. The Bureau of ATF has not made a definitive written statement about the IJ-70, but in our opinion, it does not qualify under C&R. The East German guns are clearly C&R eligible.

The Bulgarian (including Miltex), Chinese, and Simson-Suhl are not considered curio & relics. Note that occasionally, dealers will have a batch of Bulgarian Makarovs with a Russian military Makarov tucked in among them. Know your markings. Of course, convincing the dealer that it's a Russian and thus C&R may be an uphill battle."

Back
Top Bottom