• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P365 arrived.

So like I said, either a heavy trigger or a manual safety.

I won't carry a gun with a manual safety. Especially something with a tiny low profile safety that you aren't really supposed to use.

I used to carry Glocks and 1911s. I also compete with both. I will occasionally, usually after shooting the Glock a lot, forget to swipe off the safety on a 1911. Its happened to me in matches. I don't want to risk doing this under pressure.

So for me. Unless I want to commit to carrying only guns with manual safeties, I'm not going to carry any guns with manual safeties. But if you are going to carry a gun with a manual safety, it had better be a good one. I'm talking about something real like on a 1911 or FN FNX.

Not a little nubbily bump of a safety that you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting off under pressure.

Carrying with it off is also bad. Because it can still be put on accidentally. And then if the poop hits the turbine, you are in even worse shape. So if the gun has a safety, you MUST practice putting it off with every draw.

end of rant.

Or, a simple solution, since you use both Glocks and 1911's. I always "sweep off" the "safety" on everything, since I have some with safeties (i.e. S&W Shield) and others without (i.e. Glocks). As I draw, I always give a "sweep" in case it a model with a safety, even if it is something without.

I will actually make that mistake occasionally. Usually when shooting a Glock after having competed with my 1911.

The reality is that most of those modern guns with itty bitty safeties weren't really meant to be used properly. With a big honking 1911 or FNX or even Sig 238/938 safety, you can get in the habit of doing BOTH necessary steps instinctively.
1) sweep the safety off when on target
2) sweep safety ON when off target.

Most of these guns the safety is even harder to put on. I realize its not as important to sweep the safety on when coming off target with a striker fired gun. But its still the right thing to do. Especially if you also carry something like a 1911 or a 938/238.

I will actually make that mistake occasionally. Usually when shooting a Glock after having competed with my 1911.

The reality is that most of those modern guns with itty bitty safeties weren't really meant to be used properly. With a big honking 1911 or FNX or even Sig 238/938 safety, you can get in the habit of doing BOTH necessary steps instinctively.
1) sweep the safety off when on target
2) sweep safety ON when off target.

Most of these guns the safety is even harder to put on. I realize its not as important to sweep the safety on when coming off target with a striker fired gun. But its still the right thing to do. Especially if you also carry something like a 1911 or a 938/238.

i have a couple HKs (sold one) with the safety lever which is up safe and down decock. I find when deactivating the safety in a hurry (practicing), I tend to decock it as well. I guess I'm not a fan of safeties on DA/SA guns, but I get that HK wants you to have options (you can switch configs).

So like I said, either a heavy trigger or a manual safety.

I won't carry a gun with a manual safety. Especially something with a tiny low profile safety that you aren't really supposed to use.

I used to carry Glocks and 1911s. I also compete with both. I will occasionally, usually after shooting the Glock a lot, forget to swipe off the safety on a 1911. Its happened to me in matches. I don't want to risk doing this under pressure.

So for me. Unless I want to commit to carrying only guns with manual safeties, I'm not going to carry any guns with manual safeties. But if you are going to carry a gun with a manual safety, it had better be a good one. I'm talking about something real like on a 1911 or FN FNX.

Not a little nubbily bump of a safety that you don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting off under pressure.

Carrying with it off is also bad. Because it can still be put on accidentally. And then if the poop hits the turbine, you are in even worse shape. So if the gun has a safety, you MUST practice putting it off with every draw.

end of rant.

Great. There’s a line of people waiting to buy one from a Mass FFL. Their chances are that much higher now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom