Outdoor shooting near Kingston, NH

Okay, so considering the country pond f&g is closed and I’m hearing these shots near me as I’m typing, there has to be a pit. Nobody has any clue? It sounds like it’s coming directly from the west. Located near circuit drive

Go out and look.

on edit: Jack beat me to it. [smile]

Off the back porch is fine if it's only 12ga. Our future prez said that. Gotta hear a noise first though, throw a beer can.

Does Maura have friends in NH? Sorry, I'm the suspicious type. I'm sure it's not some anti looking for the local pit to get it shut down. Maybe if the OP would go green or had more time in. His use of "AR-15 style rifle" seemed odd given the context, I think most AR owners would just say "my AR", or "my AR-15", or be more specific like "my M&P 15 Sport".

Does Maura have friends in NH? Sorry, I'm the suspicious type. I'm sure it's not some anti looking for the local pit to get it shut down. Maybe if the OP would go green or had more time in. His use of "AR-15 style rifle" seemed odd given the context, I think most AR owners would just say "my AR", or "my AR-15", or be more specific like "my M&P 15 Sport".
I find it “odd” to speak in the third person when the OP has been contributing to their own thread. And my apologies. I tend to be rather analytical and detail-oriented, hence my phrasing. Please let me know how I should speak as to appease your delusions.

Last edited:
suddenly I’ve realized that I did not stock up on enough tin foil for this Kung flu

How to win friends and influence people was a book we had to read in high school. Itll get you on a private range !
I’m relatively personable, but I kinda just felt bad rolling up on his private range and felt thankful enough that he was willing to point me in the right direction. Maybe one of these days I’ll go knock on his door. Coincidentally, I work for a rival company to the one he owns and was wearing a company sweatshirt, so I’m lucky he didn’t plug me right there!

I find it “odd” to speak in the third person when the OP has been contributing to their own thread. And my apologies. I tend to be rather analytical and detail-oriented, hence my phrasing. Please let me know how I should speak as to appease your delusions.

Whatever, but you missed the point. It's simply not a way I've heard an AR owner refer to what they own. An observation, nothing more and nothing less. I neither referred to it as incorrect, nor did I express that you should change. Those who take an observation of something unique or different about themselves as insulting or bad, really should ask themselves "why" do I think this. When people say that my speech tends to be more formal and detailed, I don't immediately think that is an insult, I think "yup, that's me".

But time will tell. I look forward to being shown that I'm totally full of it. And perhaps we will meet FtF at an NES event some time.

suddenly I’ve realized that I did not stock up on enough tin foil for this Kung flu

Compared to some on NES I'm a lightweight in the tinfoil hat department [smile] <we need a tinfoil hat emoji>

I’d really like to avoid the possibility of LE coming out and giving me a hard time, so I was asking about the tried and true areas that people might be taking their guns to. I’d like to avoid any confrontations or issues with neighboring residents.

Check what defines the “compact area” of your town, try the zoning dept if you don’t want to talk to the PD chief.

Whatever, but you missed the point. It's simply not a way I've heard an AR owner refer to what they own. An observation, nothing more and nothing less. I neither referred to it as incorrect, nor did I express that you should change. Those who take an observation of something unique or different about themselves as insulting or bad, really should ask themselves "why" do I think this. When people say that my speech tends to be more formal and detailed, I don't immediately think that is an insult, I think "yup, that's me".

But time will tell. I look forward to being shown that I'm totally full of it. And perhaps we will meet FtF at an NES event some time.
I suppose I can see where you’re coming from as far as being suspicious. I referred to it as an AR-15 style rifle because that’s what it is. I guess you could say that I’m rather inexperienced as a gun owner and I don’t really talk to a lot of likeminded individuals unfortunately, so I lack a frame of reference for how your community speaks. Let me correct myself. I have a PA-15 more specifically. I’m not sure what FtF stands for. Only heard it in reference to a failure to feed, but I’d definitely be interested in joining one of your community’s events. What kind of events do you guys do anyways? Sorry for being snappy btw. Can you blame me for taking slight offense to you questioning my intentions though?

I suppose I can see where you’re coming from as far as being suspicious. I referred to it as an AR-15 style rifle because that’s what it is. I guess you could say that I’m rather inexperienced as a gun owner and I don’t really talk to a lot of likeminded individuals unfortunately, so I lack a frame of reference for how your community speaks. Let me correct myself. I have a PA-15 more specifically. I’m not sure what FtF stands for. Only heard it in reference to a failure to feed, but I’d definitely be interested in joining one of your community’s events. What kind of events do you guys do anyways? Sorry for being snappy btw. Can you blame me for taking slight offense to you questioning my intentions though?
Face to Face
People come across differently on-line. There's one guy on here I've had a couple really "interesting" arguments with. The kind a moderator says ok take a step back. But when I met him in person he seemed like a an ok guy, totally normal, not the a-hole [wink] I thought he was.

There have also been a few obvious, I guess I'll call them moles. Reporters looking for something they can mis-quote, gov types looking for insight they can use. We've all excepted that this is not a private forum, anyone can join, even pay to get access to the member sections. So it's not uncommon for a day one, first post, to be looked at from an odd angle depending on what they post. Obviously opinions vary on this.

There used to be regular shoots, but anti activity at that club have caused problems. There are occasional get togethers, just a dozen or so going out for some food. Timing varies since someone has to decide they want to organize this. These aren't "official" activities of NES, just someone decides they want to do it. One member was organizing these almost monthly when I was in MA, I thought it was a great chance to actually meet the people of NES, he's stopped doing them due to his own move. There has been some attempts to continue these but organizing them isn't as easy as it sounds. They come up now and then in different areas.

Group buys, Karma, you'll just have to join to find out.

And of course there is the secret handshake.......

This is taking the
"Hi Marua" bullshit to the extreme. Go Green? Why would someone want to pay money to belong to a MB where they are attacked by bored clowns with nothing to do?
What’s this “Maura” reference anyways? I do appreciate the fact that I wasn’t the only person who saw these posts as unnecessary, but if you guys have had issues with anti-gun people coming on here trying blow up your spot then I guess I can see where they’re coming from to a certain extent. My thing was that there’s a difference between being welcomed with a certain amount of skepticism and having someone make grand assumptions on the first day that I posted something. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, but again, if it’s not uncommon for some kind of infiltration into these forums, or whatever, then I guess I can do my best to be as understanding as possible. I’ll “go green” once I come to the conclusion that this is a community I want to join, and I’m not going to let the viewpoint of a few ruin the fact that there’s been plenty of people contributing in a meaningful way. I appreciate everyone who has contributed into this conversation in a helpful way. I know you didn’t have to take the time out of your day to do so and again, it’s appreciated.

Lol did you find the owner? maybe make some friends.... [laugh]

This is the way the best informal shooting spots work anyways. Locals share them and keep them under their
hat. Or a landowner lets you use it with permission, etc. Obviously theres a trust burden invovled. Sometimes
it works.

-Mike
This. Bring a wheeled cooler full of after-shooting beers. Payment-in-Full...

BTW, I thought shooting in your own back yard was a 'perk' of living in NH...?
Even in Nashua... [rofl2]

What’s this “Maura” reference anyways?
(Snip)

My thing was that there’s a difference between being welcomed with a certain amount of skepticism and having someone make grand assumptions on the first day that I posted something.
(Snip)

I’m not going to let the viewpoint of a few ruin the fact that there’s been plenty of people contributing in a meaningful way. I appreciate everyone who has contributed into !

Welcome to the forum. References to "Maura" or "Marsha" are a deliberate misnomer to the AG's office in Ma. (I'm in NH & don't know/care who's who in Ma) most of the folks here are ok but there seems to be a (well meaning) hazing of new members. It's been toned down since the early days but trolls gonna troll. Consider it a rite of passage. Stick around for a bit and you'll learn who's worth listening to and who to ignore.

What’s this “Maura” reference anyways? I do appreciate the fact that I wasn’t the only person who saw these posts as unnecessary, but if you guys have had issues with anti-gun people coming on here trying blow up your spot then I guess I can see where they’re coming from to a certain extent. My thing was that there’s a difference between being welcomed with a certain amount of skepticism and having someone make grand assumptions on the first day that I posted something. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, but again, if it’s not uncommon for some kind of infiltration into these forums, or whatever, then I guess I can do my best to be as understanding as possible. I’ll “go green” once I come to the conclusion that this is a community I want to join, and I’m not going to let the viewpoint of a few ruin the fact that there’s been plenty of people contributing in a meaningful way. I appreciate everyone who has contributed into this conversation in a helpful way. I know you didn’t have to take the time out of your day to do so and again, it’s appreciated.
Maura refers to Maura Healey the Attorney General of Massachusetts who threw out all the past interpretation, and written law, on "assault weapons" in MA with her declaration reinterpreting, outside of the proper legal process, what is and is not an AW. Her actions resulted in large rallies involving GOAL, Comm2a, and many from here on NES, all ultimately ineffective, as well as legal challenges. For me it was one of the last 2 things that drove me out of my home state and town in MA, there were others, but that and the Legislature giving themselves an unchallengeable compensation increase were the final blows.

The original AWB, and her reinterpretation are also why your AR platform is significantly more expensive and limited in supply, having to be both pre MA AWB and Pre-Healey, in MA. Or you have to get a fixed mag version. You can of course, as some will point out, build you own and ignore all that, but I don't advocate for anyone to break the law, that is up to the individual. A perfect example is the new AR I just bought for $950 in NH, it is simple unavailable to a MA resident at any price. Something used, pre-ban, similarly equipped in MA would run twice that. Prior to Healey's edict, simply pinning the stock and not including the new 30rd mag would have made it MA compliant, not any more. And you pay more for your mags as well since you can't buy new 20-30rd mags.

I think we've moved past my original post, I'm not apologizing, as I said I'm the suspicious type when it come to day-one members asking questions that might affect the freedoms of those still in MA. And if you look around I'm not the only, or the worst.

Personally I'd love to return to my home state, but not the way it is, so I still support GOAL and Comm2a, and the NSSF actions in MA. You say yourself that you're new to this, so I encourage you to look into supporting GOAL and Comm2a, without them you rights in MA would be far less than they are now, hard to believe but true.

Maura refers to Maura Healey the Attorney General of Massachusetts who threw out all the past interpretation, and written law, on "assault weapons" in MA with her declaration reinterpreting, outside of the proper legal process, what is and is not an AW. Her actions resulted in large rallies involving GOAL, Comm2a, and many from here on NES, all ultimately ineffective, as well as legal challenges. For me it was one of the last 2 things that drove me out of my home state and town in MA, there were others, but that and the Legislature giving themselves an unchallengeable compensation increase were the final blows.

The original AWB, and her reinterpretation are also why your AR platform is significantly more expensive and limited in supply, having to be both pre MA AWB and Pre-Healey, in MA. Or you have to get a fixed mag version. You can of course, as some will point out, build you own and ignore all that, but I don't advocate for anyone to break the law, that is up to the individual. A perfect example is the new AR I just bought for $950 in NH, it is simple unavailable to a MA resident at any price. Something used, pre-ban, similarly equipped in MA would run twice that. Prior to Healey's edict, simply pinning the stock and not including the new 30rd mag would have made it MA compliant, not any more. And you pay more for your mags as well since you can't buy new 20-30rd mags.

I think we've moved past my original post, I'm not apologizing, as I said I'm the suspicious type when it come to day-one members asking questions that might affect the freedoms of those still in MA. And if you look around I'm not the only, or the worst.

Personally I'd love to return to my home state, but not the way it is, so I still support GOAL and Comm2a, and the NSSF actions in MA. You say yourself that you're new to this, so I encourage you to look into supporting GOAL and Comm2a, without them you rights in MA would be far less than they are now, hard to believe but true.
The thing I hate the most about the “assault weapon” argument is that they rely on people that have zero understanding of the argument in the first place. They’re so unclear about the definition of an “assault weapon” that most of the people arguing for it think that everyone with an AR style rifle is running around with a weapon capable of full automatic. I’ve had to explain this to several people that perpetuate the negative stigma attached to gun owners and activists. It’s maddening to have someone argue a point that they know absolutely nothing about to someone who is well educated in the matter. And as to your original post, I’m not looking for an apology and I can see where your coming from. Doesn’t mean I agree with your execution, but let’s just put that behind us. I’m not an anti-gunner or looking to shut down anybody’s shooting spot, so let me just establish myself in your community and we can all just get along while respecting each other’s opinions.

absolutely not.
I grew up in mass and know of a couple of pits that I could get away with shooting if I had my license there. Don’t know New Hampshire all that well though. I’d really like to get some property up in Maine. I just love the feel of Maine. I feel like life moves at a slower pace up there.

Welcome to the forum. References to "Maura" or "Marsha" are a deliberate misnomer to the AG's office in Ma. (I'm in NH & don't know/care who's who in Ma) most of the folks here are ok but there seems to be a (well meaning) hazing of new members. It's been toned down since the early days but trolls gonna troll. Consider it a rite of passage. Stick around for a bit and you'll learn who's worth listening to and who to ignore.
Thank you for the warm welcome. Haha I can take a little hazing if that’s what it is. I’ll be sticking around for sure.

I grew up in the area, live in Plaistow now.. prior I lived in the tiny stretch of new boston rd between 125 and main st, prior to that it was in Kingston on country pond...

None of these things are secrets else I wouldn't post them here. Bump and grind, there are some younger folks that hang around there and randomly dump mags at all hours, also do donuts in cars and trucks, run all sorts of toys with handle bars, and just generally make a racket at all hours.. the house I believe next door also shoots out back. There is a boy scout camp with a range on country pond, possibly available by permission at times, you may also hear in addition to the country pond club..

Two sand pits off your road but both have posted private property entrances last I checked (one I can get into on a per request basis but not blanket permission, regular shooting activity goes on in there)..

Also there are trails with places to shoot off both sides of where powwow goes under the road, however similarly posted..

Another place in Kingston I shoot in, series of pits, has been over run with people lately - new comers not following established protocol - a big pain for those of us who are there year round. If you happen upon these places please be respectful, pick up shells, pick up your trash..

Don't setup 30 feet from the backstop (ie park 60+ yards away then walk down to get closer, this way people who want to shoot from further away aren't cutoff at beginner distances)... similarly don't expect to setup at 250+ yards unless the weather is bad or it's very early or late as it makes it so very few people can share. Be safe and mindful of potential richoches etc etc. Basically on a Sunday if everyone uses common sense 20+ shooters are accommodated safely, but just a couple ignorant people make it so they are the only ones who can shoot at times (and enough bad practices with respect for the property owners will get us all kicked out).

I grew up in the area, live in Plaistow now.. prior I lived in the tiny stretch of new boston rd between 125 and main st, prior to that it was in Kingston on country pond...

None of these things are secrets else I wouldn't post them here. Bump and grind, there are some younger folks that hang around there and randomly dump mags at all hours, also do donuts in cars and trucks, run all sorts of toys with handle bars, and just generally make a racket at all hours.. the house I believe next door also shoots out back. There is a boy scout camp with a range on country pond, possibly available by permission at times, you may also hear in addition to the country pond club..

Two sand pits off your road but both have posted private property entrances last I checked (one I can get into on a per request basis but not blanket permission, regular shooting activity goes on in there)..

Also there are trails with places to shoot off both sides of where powwow goes under the road, however similarly posted..

Another place in Kingston I shoot in, series of pits, has been over run with people lately - new comers not following established protocol - a big pain for those of us who are there year round. If you happen upon these places please be respectful, pick up shells, pick up your trash..

Don't setup 30 feet from the backstop (ie park 60+ yards away then walk down to get closer, this way people who want to shoot from further away aren't cutoff at beginner distances)... similarly don't expect to setup at 250+ yards unless the weather is bad or it's very early or late as it makes it so very few people can share. Be safe and mindful of potential richoches etc etc. Basically on a Sunday if everyone uses common sense 20+ shooters are accommodated safely, but just a couple ignorant people make it so they are the only ones who can shoot at times (and enough bad practices with respect for the property owners will get us all kicked out).
Can you help me find these pits? I’m not too sure of where they are. I’m just extremely nervous to go out shooting somewhere that seems like a good spot just to end up in legal trouble or something. I would definitely be safe and pick up my trash and casings. I think these might be the pits that someone was telling me about a couple years ago. I know you said they’re no secret, but feel free to PM me if you’d like to avoid them being further overrun. Thanks for the reply! Just realized the boys out camp you’re talking about. I haven’t been there for about 20 years!

Chester R&G Club is still open on the outside ranges, but for members only, no guests. Once this crap clears they will start taking new members again.

BTW, I thought shooting in your own back yard was a 'perk' of living in NH...?
Even in Nashua... [rofl2]

It is! I wanted to go to the range to sight in my Ruger Mark IV yesterday but my wife didn't want me gone for long because she wanted help with the kids. I set up a shooting bench under my back porch to stay out of the rain and set up a target 25 yards away in the woods and did my thing. She grew up on Long Island and was very upset with me when I bought my first gun almost a decade ago. Now she "compromises" with me by encouraging me to shoot at home rather than going to the range.

It is! I wanted to go to the range to sight in my Ruger Mark IV yesterday but my wife didn't want me gone for long because she wanted help with the kids. I set up a shooting bench under my back porch to stay out of the rain and set up a target 25 yards away in the woods and did my thing. She grew up on Long Island and was very upset with me when I bought my first gun almost a decade ago. Now she "compromises" with me by encouraging me to shoot at home rather than going to the range.

How is that a compromise?

Back
Top Bottom