Other Hi Cap Mags

dd

I read with great interest the post on Hi Cap Glock mags and how to identify them. Could not find reference to Hi Cap mags for other brands of guns, specifically Para-Ordnance. So, does anyone have information on them??

I have quite a number of PO hicaps, some of which are still in the wrapper, that I got at various times, all I think before the ban took effect. However, at this point in time it is doubtful that I could prove when I bought them. As far as I know they have no identifying markings or features that would date them.

OK, while waiting for someone to comment on my original question, here is another question regarding hi caps. You have older hi caps, say for the Para, and you buy a new Para (it being sold with ten rounders only) and take it to the range with the old hi caps. How far out is your neck stuck??

Now, change the situation to a Glock, to a Beretta, or to a Highpower.

The issue isn't with high capacity magazines as a whole. The issue is with high capacity magazines that were not in Massachusetts prior to the ban. It is quite legal to use pre-ban high capacity magazines in a pistol you bought an hour ago.

patio said:
The issue isn't with high capacity magazines as a whole. The issue is with high capacity magazines that were not in Massachusetts prior to the ban. It is quite legal to use pre-ban high capacity magazines in a pistol you bought an hour ago.

Only partially right!

It doesn't matter WHERE in the WORLD the mags were located, as long as they were made pre 9/13/94.

Dave, it doesn't matter how new/old the gun is that you put the hi-caps in, as long as the mags are pre-ban and you have a LTC-A you are AOK.

LenS said:
Only partially right!
Oops! For some reason I thought that additional clause was in there, I was wrong.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994.

No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994.[/QUOTE]

Then this provision, i.e. <possess>, seems to contradict the previous discussion wherein a MA resident may inherit guns (not MA law approved) from someone who lived in another state. Yes?

DD, do you mean if you inherited a postban "Assault Weapon" could you legally possess it in Mass? If so, you cannot legally possess such even if inherited.

LenS said:
Dave, no conflict. "lawfully possessed on . . . " means legally possessed by ANYONE, ANYWHERE!

Len, I agree that the provision of the law cited does say that, but here in MA you know as well as do I that the courts have a chilling habit of interpreting laws other than as they are written!

As for an AW, that one I am not sure of. Now that the federal law has sunset in most other states, the availability of MA compliant guns is going to be fewer all the time. As I understand the law about inheritance, as soon as the person dies you own the guns that are bequeathed to you. You do not have to go thru an FFL to bring them into MA. But, you would have to do an FA10 which would alert the authorities that you now have that AW. (Visions of neck stuck way out with the ax on the way down.)

Then the question devolves to whether that particular AW (say it is a pre-ban AR15) was legally owned prior to the specific date cited in the law. If Yes, then I think it would be legal; if No, then it is questionable whether possession would be legal.

If it is a "new" AW, then it would be illegal to possess or inherit. Same with "new" hi-cap mags.

If it was a real pre-ban, no problem.

This only effects a certain number of Semi-auto rifles.

Handguns are all AOK on inheritance, but mags are as noted above.

Back
Top Bottom