• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Original Bob's Salisbury - 2 Thumbs up!

Sorry, I'm a little hazy on this, are Wednesdays already rifle nights or is that an upcoming change? If it's already in effect, what are the hours and fees?

That isn't humor. That's the first thing entering a lawyer mind, the state of the country in general. This is a mental health and a personal responsibility problem. Or the lack there of. I think they have done what can be done with range rules. The only other thing would be no rentals which wouldn't bother me one way or the other. Getting back to personal responsibility, If I feel unsafe in there, I don't go. I'm not going to stand outside throwing rocks at them yelling....sham...sham!
I appreciate the humor but any constructive posts would be more appreciated...

Sorry, I'm a little hazy on this, are Wednesdays already rifle nights or is that an upcoming change? If it's already in effect, what are the hours and fees?

Wednesday is rifle night - 5pm until close IIRC. Range time is $20 per lane, 4 person max per lane. Please see the rules on the website for the more info.

Mothybee - thanks for the clarification.

I've scored a couple of nice deals on guns at Original Bob's. My only complaint was once when I was there the door to the range was open while people were shooting, so it was loud enough that I wished I wore hearing protection in the showroom.

Original Bob's is now under new ownership/management as of Feb 1 2016 or shortly after (I was told but can't recall at the moment but it's happened very recently). Over the last 3 years the shop has been under constant change in an effort to improve it's appearance and reputation. The most obvious change is when you walk in the door - the displays and retail areas have been completely changed along with lighting and other improvements. The website does not fully reflect the changes but I expect updates to be coming soon.

The range itself has undergone changes as well - mostly at the backstop and collection system behind it. HVAC changes are planned and will be moving forward sometime this year. New finishes and lighting along with new target stall equipment are also planned but not scheduled pending the installation of the HVAC system.

There have been changes in staff as well in the last year specifically - there are 2 people dedicated to range assignment and RSO duties on the weekends (the busiest day for range time). The shop is essentially staffed by 2 groups - one for sales, the other for range service.

The rules for range rental has also been adjusted so that each lane must have a legally licensed person in order to rent a lane. See HERE for more details.

Other changes that were discussed are specific shooting nights - For instance Wednesday nights are rifle night allowing shooters to use rifle calibers. Other nights may include a ladies night and a "league night" like bowling with pin shoots or plate shoots - the specifics are still being discussed but there is definitely something coming. Look for training opportunities to become available too - Those announcements will be made on the website when they become official. Discussions with the trainers are happening now.

One specific thing that was discussed heavily is the number of people here that have had a bad experience with safety issues, etc. on the range. Aaron, the new owner, has given me permission to offer up free range time to anyone here that have voiced their negative experience. Most of the post I've read seem to be folks that were in over 3 years ago and not returned since the changes were implemented. The goal is to let the shooting community know that the range is and will become a lot safer than in years past and hopefully improve the customer base.

Please PM me directly with Original Bobs in the title and we can discuss the details of your free range time. Aaron is dedicated to making Original Bob's Shooting Range known for professional and safe place for shooters to frequent.

Aaron, as in Aaron B******** was there several years ago, who I thought was the owner. Just curious, how did the ownership change if he is still the owner?

Aaron, as in Aaron B******** was there several years ago, who I thought was the owner. Just curious, how did the ownership change if he is still the owner?

Aaron B******** is now the President, CEO. CFO, etc., as of January, 2016. Robert B******** (Aaron's father, I believe) previously held these positions. Robert is still listed as a director. The place appears to still be in the same family.

I have shot there a number of times and have purchased a couple guns there as well. I found the range to be OK and generally the other shooters were not quite as bad as some here make it sound, but there is some room for improvement. I think the idea of requiring at least one member of a renting party be a LTC holder is a good idea. My only beef with the rentals is being required to purchase their ammo when I rented a gun to try out, even though I had my own that was just as good or better. I will be joining a club again, so probably won't be using their range much in the future, but I would still shop there, and maybe rent and shoot something I'm thinking of buying.

The last time I shot there was about 8 years ago. There were two other shooters plus myself. The guy in the lane next to me had a misfire with the Ruger 22 he had rented and asked if I could help him. He did not have a clue on how to clear the dud and resume shooting again. I helped him out and he was all set.

Then the guy two lanes over started cursing that his gun didn't work. He couldn't close the cylinder on his revolver after loading the chambers. He kept slamming the cylinder and the shell casings were hanging out the rear of the cylinder and striking against the guns frame. Slam, slam. I said whoa there and took a look. He was trying to shoot 357 magnums in a 38 special revolver. I just shook my head and packed up and left. Never went back.

That's why I take a hammer with me
The last time I shot there was about 8 years ago. There were two other shooters plus myself. The guy in the lane next to me had a misfire with the Ruger 22 he had rented and asked if I could help him. He did not have a clue on how to clear the dud and resume shooting again. I helped him out and he was all set.

Then the guy two lanes over started cursing that his gun didn't work. He couldn't close the cylinder on his revolver after loading the chambers. He kept slamming the cylinder and the shell casings were hanging out the rear of the cylinder and striking against the guns frame. Slam, slam. I said whoa there and took a look. He was trying to shoot 357 magnums in a 38 special revolver. I just shook my head and packed up and left. Never went back.

Back
Top Bottom