Origin of term "Assault Weapon"

Many of us agree we hate the term assault weapon and some of us feel we can blame Hitler for some of it...

Many of us agree we hate the AG's office and feel we can compare them to Hitler when it comes to propaganda and how they use anti gun terminology.

good watch on the believed origin of the assault rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JpX_H2D62w

that show with the top 10 weapons is odd. i really wonder how some of the weapons they had on it even got on the list in the 1st place...

I have an assault shovel with a tactical grip that I'd give someone a good deal on. It works great for beating the stealth muskrats that are eroding the shoreline in front of the house. I use it in conjunction with my assault air rifle with the tactical sighting system made of iron. LOL!

Wife just purchased this for me today, thanks to my tendonitis...

v4rog0.jpg

Post-ban assault cane.

It is no different than any other cane, except that it collapsible, made from aircraft grade aluminum, and painted in woodland camo. It is fully capable of bludgeoning and an attacker to the point of mild irritation, which would technically be assault.

Mark this thread the origination of the term "assault cane"

Post-ban assault cane.

It is no different than any other cane, except that it collapsible, made from aircraft grade aluminum, and painted in woodland camo. It is fully capable of bludgeoning and an attacker to the point of mild irritation, which would technically be assault.

Definitely post-ban. No bayo lug. [wink]

I personally don't care if people refer to AR's and other similar semi-auto magazine fed rifles as assault rifles. By definition, they are. Here's the entry from Merriam-Websters:

assault rifle
One entry found.
Main Entry: assault rifle
Function: noun
Date: 1972
: any of various automatic or semiautomatic rifles with large capacity magazines designed for military use

Fighting the use of such a term is as silly as fighting the use of the word "weapon", when used relative to a gun. People on this forum (myself included) go on endlessly about SHTF scenarios, CCW, andother scenarios where guns are clearly intended to be used for self defense, and then state that they find it unacceptable to call the gun a weapon.

If you think that the antis are going to ease up on their efforts to take away our guns, if we don't offend them by using "inflamatory" words, I'd suggest you re-think your position.

v4rog0.jpg

Post-ban assault cane.

Dood - that handle is just itching to have a tactical flashlight and tape switch installed for night ops...

"Assault Weapon" is just a shitty, redundant, hyperbolic term invented by
antis, to try to make something sound worse than it actually is.

-Mike

Assault Rifle was a term coined to descibe the difference between different "classes" of small arms. Prior to the term "Assault Rifle" you had 4 main classes of military firearms:
Machine Guns, which were very high volume of fire weapons built for vehicle or stationary mounts, man portable but intended to be fired from fixed positions.
Battle Rifles which were standard issue rifles mainly inteded for long range, open field battles.
Handguns, which were inteded as a small, easily carried "backup" weapon or sidearm.
Submachine Guns, which were smaller, individually portable machine guns using pistol calibers for close quarter indoor/trench warfare.
Assault Rifles where introduced as an intermediate between a submachine gun which lacked the range and accuracy for open combat and battle rifles, which where too large to manauver in confined areas. These typically used smaller and lighter intermiediate ammunition and were inteded for more mobile and offensive (assault) opperations (AK-47, M-16, etc)

In order to ban "undesirable" semi-automatic sporting rifles that "looked" similar to military Assualt Rifles, the media coined the word "Semi Automatic Assault Weapon" They didn't want to call them Assault Rifles, since that term really refered to fully-automatic military rifles that were already restricted, but they wanted to associate this new "class" of firearms with the military weapons the general public doesn't want to see in the hands of criminals.

Back
Top Bottom