• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Organizing / storing pistol magazines?

Wondering if the NES braintrust has any clever methods of organizing and storing pistol magazines? Not much room on the safe shelving, and the door has all of the document pouches. Eventually, I'm going to forget what pistol they go with...
uhm I use plastic stackable bins on a shelf? empty mags don't need to be locked up. Loaded mags go in my ammo cabinet in the same type of bins, organized by type or make of gun, or just stacked on a shelf inside the cabinet which I keep locked. Mags for "go time" or edc are already in my plate carrier or are on the safe door.

View attachment 448278

I have dividers hot-glued into the cases to separate the mags.
tenor.gif

Lady Radtekk and I each have a GHB in our vehicles. Each has 2 spare mags for our carry guns. We each carry a couple of spares in our daily bag, purse, daybag, whatever. I also carry 2 spares for my EDC in my jeans, and a spare in the center console of my truck. So we have a MINIMUM of 8 mags per carry gun.

Buy a new carry, buy more mags. For a brief period we each carried the same S&W compact 9mm. So we ended up with 18 mags.

My mag storage resembles one of those bins st the back of old gunshops.

This thread is awesome!

Wondering if the NES braintrust has any clever methods of organizing and storing pistol magazines? Not much room on the safe shelving, and the door has all of the document pouches. Eventually, I'm going to forget what pistol they go with...

You are way over-thinking this. Put all the mags for a specific gun in a gallon zip loc or quart zip loc, throw all the zip locs in a box. Keep box on the shelf.

If you can't recognize different mags for different guns, you need to spend more time shooting.

The only exception would be if you own the same type gun in cals 9, 40, .357 sig. In which case the mags look the same and you need to read the caliber off the mag to tell them apart. In that case, label the zip loc bag.

You are way over-thinking this. Put all the mags for a specific gun in a gallon zip loc or quart zip loc, throw all the zip locs in a box. Keep box on the shelf.

If you can't recognize different mags for different guns, you need to spend more time shooting.

The only exception would be if you own the same type gun in cals 9, 40, .357 sig. In which case the mags look the same and you need to read the caliber off the mag to tell them apart. In that case, label the zip loc bag.

Never said I can't recognize magazines. Just looking for ideas on how to store them rather than they way I'm doing it now. Which currently sometimes leads to me picking magazines off the floor when I go digging for something at the back of the shelf... The idea of gluing dividers into plano boxes is starting to grow on me...

Never said I can't recognize magazines. Just looking for ideas on how to store them rather than they way I'm doing it now. Which currently sometimes leads to me picking magazines off the floor when I go digging for something at the back of the shelf... The idea of gluing dividers into plano boxes is starting to grow on me...
I used poster-board from Staples, cut to size, and a hot glue gun.

Again, way too complex and time consuming. Ziploc bags. Put the bags in a Plano box if you want.

Now, if you own 3 guns and have mags for them. Fine. But if you reach a certain point, it becomes ridiculous.
If you do Ziplocs, you aren't forced into having the proportions forced by your spacers.

Back
Top Bottom