Options

What do I have for options? I dropped my renewal form for my class A LTC off December 3rd. I was told I would be called down for pictures and finger prints when he got to my application, but he had a stack to go through. Meanwhile, my birthday has come and gone, what should I do now?

you have a 90 day grace period on your current license, however I would stress with the issuing officer that time is running out and you want to avoid any legal problem.

I think some issuing officers include the grace period in the time they figure they have to get the permit done.

Pondhill, I would call the licensing officer and let him know (nicely) that your birthday has passed and you are now on the 90 day grace period. Ask him, again nicely, if he's had the chance to get to your application and about how long it's taking for licenses to come in.

If it were me, I would make the trip to the station, and ask to speak with that officer. Do it in person, be polite and smile while you explain that you are now on your grace period.

Also (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) during the 90 day grace period that only allows you to posses the guns you already have. I think that while you are on your grace period, you cannot remove the guns from your house, buy new guns, or even ammo...

Our LO informs people that they can carry on the grace period but not make purchases.
They base the carrying on chp 140s131, the keyword being "valid" (excerpted):
(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years but not more than 6 years from the date of issue, except that if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied...

I was under the impression that the 90 grace period ONLY applies if you're already gone through the application process.

Maybe Darius or Keith will chime in on that assumption... But that's what i thought the Sgt a @ NAPD said.

But, maybe dropping off the app would sufice as the application process...but I would think that it would start when all the computer stuff has been completed.

Ya....
"if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied..."

Ya....
"if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date on the license, unless the application for renewal is denied..."

So, does dropping off the paperwork constitute, "renewal?" As it wasn't really "applied" because he hasn't done anything yet.

The way it's run where I work is, there isn't any "dropping off of paperwork". You make an appointment and the renewal info is then entered into MIRCS.
If the renewed license was under suspension/revocation it would flag.

So, does dropping off the paperwork constitute, "renewal?" As it wasn't really "applied" because he hasn't done anything yet.

Think it through.

The statute says;

if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid for a period of 90 days beyond the stated expiration date

What is "dropping off the paperwork" BUT beginning the application process?

Problem is that you REALLY need a RECEIPT to prove that you did it before your B'day. MOST PDs do NOT give any sort of receipt, ever!

In 31 years that I've had a LTC and ~29 years that my Wife has been licensed, I only received a "receipt" ONCE and only because I was a PITA and insisted with a previous chief!

Yes, I know what the law says, but I also know that the PDs regularly flaunt the law and it's not usually worth the expense, time and aggravation to force them to comply.

Unless I had a receipt in my pocket as proof or a badge as LE, I would NOT carry on that 90 day grace period!

Problem is that you REALLY need a RECEIPT to prove that you did it before your B'day. MOST PDs do NOT give any sort of receipt, ever!

Unless I had a receipt in my pocket as proof or a badge as LE, I would NOT carry on that 90 day grace period!

Even when statutorily mandated to (i.e., when taking guns), many departments ignore basic competence and won't document their action. I advise my clients to bring a copy of the app with them to be stamped at the desk for just that reason.

Scriv, one year I did bring a copy and proceeded to the counter location where the time-stamp machine had been located for some 15 years . . . no machine! I asked the dispatcher and was told that they did away with the machine completely!

Today all reports are entered on the computer and thus they don't feel a need for such machines for THEIR PURPOSES. The computer time stamps don't help the "normal people" however! I've been off the department for 10 years now, and the differences in operations are massive over those years!

Wouldn't payment of the renewal fee by check be sufficient proof of the date of the application?

I guess it would depend on the town... In my town, you pay your application fee at the town offices (virtually next door to the police station) they give you a receipt, that you are then supposed to take over to the police station and turn in with your application...

Wouldn't payment of the renewal fee by check be sufficient proof of the date of the application?

The check I wrote for my license application was not processed until three weeks after I had the new license.

Same here. I think that it was like 23 days from when I went in, to when the cashed check showed up on my on-line statement.

Think it through.

What is "dropping off the paperwork" BUT beginning the application process?

That's why I was asking. When I spoke to Sgt P, I thought that he said that I had to come in for Pictures and prints before they considered it a renewal.

Now, I don't know if that's what the PD thinks, or if that's what is meant in the statute.

Hey, it's the government. You know, where "Interstate Commerce" suddenly in the 20th century grants the government the powers to enact the BATF, TSA, and all those other wonderful watchdog agencies that the Constitution never granted government the power for....

In other words, the words mean whatever the enforcers want them to mean.

Hey, it's the government. You know, where "Interstate Commerce" suddenly in the 20th century grants the government the powers to enact the BATF, TSA, and all those other wonderful watchdog agencies that the Constitution never granted government the power for....

In other words, the words mean whatever the enforcers want them to mean.

Well, Chris, all those laws apply to people, and people can and frequently do cross state lines, making it interstate commerce. Despite what seemed to be a glimmer of hope with Lopez, that still seems to be the concensus opinion of the courts. Both Congress and the Executive, of course, have been champing at the bit since before the ink dried on Article I Section 8 of the Constitution.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom