OPSEC - Posted ad photos

I repeat:

Exif is more than the location. It can include the camera (phone) model, f stop, your devices serial number... That last can be used to link together random pics of your kids, yesterday's lunch and the leaders of your cabal cell you snapped a group shot of at the monthly gathering.

For us Android (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9) users.

Open 'Camera' and tap 'settings' (looks like a Spacely Sprocket).

scroll down & make sure "Location tags" is off (grayed out).

Last edited:
Posting from iPhone to this site, how would I remove location data? I’m not that techy, I just use this shit. I do like how I can sort photos based on location, makes finding stuff easy. I’ve noticed that the exact location is not always accurate, but in the ballpark.
Settings>Privacy>Location Services to shut it off
Not sure if you can remove that data from existing photos...

Exif is more than the location. It can include the camera (phone) model, f stop, your devices serial number... That last can be used to link together random pics of your kids, yesterday's lunch and the leaders of your cabal cell you snapped a group shot of at the monthly gathering.

Exactly, EXIF has been around well prior to cell phone GPS location services.

Related story, back when I used to be into cameras I used to use exif viewers to check settings of images I liked. One day perusing the for sale section on FM someone had put up some swanky big $ Leica gear for sale and since the images looked great I checked the exif. Wouldn't you know it, he never turned off his location settings so I PM'ed the him(with a SS) letting them know he had published his address and he may want to edit the ad before some ne'er-do-well breaks into his place and makes off with his gear. He was freaked out that it was in the image and more so that I now knew where he lived(in Canada) +/-1100 miles away and reported me claiming I was stalking him. Should've just kept my mouth shut and let him continue displaying his address for the world to see.

Exactly, EXIF has been around well prior to cell phone GPS location services.

Related story, back when I used to be into cameras I used to use exif viewers to check settings of images I liked. One day perusing the for sale section on FM someone had put up some swanky big $ Leica gear for sale and since the images looked great I checked the exif. Wouldn't you know it, he never turned off his location settings so I PM'ed the him(with a SS) letting them know he had published his address and he may want to edit the ad before some ne'er-do-well breaks into his place and makes off with his gear. He was freaked out that it was in the image and more so that I now knew where he lived(in Canada) +/-1100 miles away and reported me claiming I was stalking him. Should've just kept my mouth shut and let him continue displaying his address for the world to see.

Yes, people are oblivious to what they tell in pics or vids. Some of the things I've seen boggle the mind.

So changing the GPS configuration is kind of like watching paint become moist?

Something like that, yes.

Buried somewhere in that case is a gps antenna. Cut the wire or trace and gps will no longer function. "They" can still triangulate you based on what towers see you, I guess, but that wouldn't figure into exif data.

Most phones can turn off location tags in the camera settings. As for existing photos: right-click in windows. Hit "properties". Hit "details" tab. Bottom will be "Remove Properties and Personal Information". You can select specific items or remove all from there. There is dedicated software out there any can batch remove this info, but this is just the free built-in version that Windows uses.

turn of location services it is always running if enabled it part of why people have to constantly charge their phones even if they are not on them habitually

Back
Top Bottom