OPSEC - Posted ad photos

I have an extension installed in Chrome that displays EXIF data. I just looked at a photo of an item listed in the for sale section, and the EXIF data contained a GPS link. Clicking on that link brought up a map with the pointer on a light green house with a detached two car garage on the left, a street name with a reference to royalty, and a house number that is prime.

So, be aware that posting a photo can be tantamount to posting your home address if you have not stripped EXIF data.

My phone is set to not record this data, and my location is,always off.
Wondering if it encodes it anyway. Need to check.

Here is a screen shot of the EXIF extension to Chrome displaying the metadata. This particular image does not have GPS data encoded, but you can see the camera, lens, exposure, time and date of the photo.

Jamie (of Mythbusters) overlooked this once and posted the address of his residence in CA.

upload_2018-12-4_22-9-35.png

Last edited:
If I recall, the iPhone can easily save GPS data if you have it set up to do so.

Edit:

You won't be the only one.

Unless you are being targeted, I would not worry too much.

All personal data is available any way nowadays.

This thread is a good PSA for all.

I use Exif Edit Free app and run all pics through there then confirm they are stripped.

I have an extension installed in Chrome that displays EXIF data. I just looked at a photo of an item listed in the for sale section, and the EXIF data contained a GPS link. Clicking on that link brought up a map with the pointer on a light green house with a detached two car garage on the left, a street name with a reference to royalty, and a house number that is prime.

So, be aware that posting a photo can be tantamount to posting your home address if you have not stripped EXIF data.

What is the name of the extension ??

All personal data is available any way nowadays.

Not sure if serious, there's a big delta between having to do detective work (and spend time, which = money/labor) to find something out, VS handing someone EXIF data on a silver platter.

-Mike

Ok, take someone who uses a screen name on NES. How would a pseudo-random ne'er-do-well translate that to a real name to start the search?

Just the info you post on here about yourself,specifically the medical stuff,clubs your active in,orgs you are involved with..it wouldn't be hard to figure out where you live and lots of other stuff..assuming your name isn't rob boudrie that is lol

Some people on here (not naming names) post events of their everyday life,where they live,and a host of other details and are super simple to figure out.

This is not even taking into account the sites where you can get personal info on someone for a fee.

Just the info you post on here about yourself,specifically the medical stuff,clubs your active in,orgs you are involved with..it wouldn't be hard to figure out where you live and lots of other stuff..assuming your name isn't rob boudrie that is lol

Some people on here (not naming names) post events of their everyday life,where they live,and a host of other details and are super simple to figure out.

This is not even taking into account the sites where you can get personal info on someone for a fee.
That is why it would be wise not to piss anybody off.

There are tons of people that could be stalked by an evil person.

If somebody is going to come after you, they will find a way.

If some random person finds your address - they probably wont even care one way or another - you are just one of billions.

I think that a person who hurts you after finding GPS data was going to get you one way or another.

I never knew that GPS could be on here though.

Here is a screen shot of the EXIF extension to Chrome displaying the metadata. This particular image does not have GPS data encoded, but you can see the camera, lens, exposure, time and date of the photo.

Jamie (of Mythbusters) overlooked this once and posted the address of his residence in CA.

View attachment 257645

What extension are you using? I can't find one that actually works.

Posting from iPhone to this site, how would I remove location data? I’m not that techy, I just use this shit. I do like how I can sort photos based on location, makes finding stuff easy. I’ve noticed that the exact location is not always accurate, but in the ballpark.

I have a script that removes all GPS EXIF data and replaces it with a location in some random place. You'd never believe how many tropical birds I've seen in Kansas!

Years back in the (or a) funny pics thread Simones posted a pic of an odd license plate. They left the exif data and I claimed to recognize that stretch of road based on the corner of a building visible at the edge and maybe a telephone pole. After a couple holy cow comments from people, I owned up and a couple of people learned how to strip.

Good reminder.

Back
Top Bottom