Opinion on Bar-Sto Barrel for Sig P220

Hi All, I was considering changing the barrel on my Sig P220 in .45 ACP to get tighter groupings and improve accuracy. Bar-Sto was recently recommended on the Shooting USA show. They mention both the semi-drop in and the match barrels. First, does anyone have any experience with the semi-drop in? Second, what additional costs will I encounter at the gunsmith if I buy the match barrel? This is a firearm primarily for CCW, and then used at the range to be proficient. I wasn't sure it was worth spending the extra money for a match barrel that is in a CCW gun. Any information and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I personally wouldn't do it on a carry gun. It has the possibility of making it less reliable, match chambers are typically tighter, and I usually don't want to mess with the setup on my carry guns.
If it was for competition I would definitely consider it.

I personally wouldn't do it on a carry gun. It has the possibility of making it less reliable, match chambers are typically tighter, and I usually don't want to mess with the setup on my carry guns.
If it was for competition I would definitely consider it.

What about the semi-drop in? Its tigher than the factory, but not as tight as a match barrel.

On a Sig P220? Complete and utter waste of money. One of the best parts about a Sig is the fact that the barrels are pretty decent overall. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by doing this.... unless your factory barrel is actually "shot out", or damaged in some way.

I wouldn't do that to a P220.... not needed for what the gun is designed for. A decent P220 can probably lay bullets on top of each other from a rest at 25 feet. That's more accuracy than you will ever need for CCW purposes.

It sounds like you're just trying to find something to spend money on. If you really want/need something that's more accurate, put that money into building a custom 1911 with a match barrel.

-Mike

On a Sig P220? Complete and utter waste of money. One of the best parts about a Sig is the fact that the barrels are pretty decent overall. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish by doing this.... unless your factory barrel is actually "shot out", or damaged in some way.

I wouldn't do that to a P220.... not needed for what the gun is designed for. A decent P220 can probably lay bullets on top of each other from a rest at 25 feet. That's more accuracy than you will ever need for CCW purposes.

It sounds like you're just trying to find something to spend money on. If you really want/need something that's more accurate, put that money into building a custom 1911 with a match barrel.

-Mike

Well, that would be A LOT more money! The P220 is both target and carry for me now, as I keep trying to improve my shooting with the .45 cal. I do have a Colt 1911, but it is a collectible, limited edition that isn't really for target shooting. If I were to build a custom 1911, it would be just for target and competition. Where I switch CCW guns, I don't want to risk not having the muscle memory to flip the thumb safety.

The BarSto barrels, both match and semi-drop in, both have tight chambers. The difference between the two is that the match barrel needs much more fitting than the semi drop in. A tight chamber isn't a great choice for a carry gun.

I have used bar-sto barrels on two SIGs. Both were older and I was not the original owner. I went with the semi drop in, both of which dropped right in. So far I have 500 rounds through one of them and 200 through the other. They shoot a little more consistently with the same ammo as the original barrels. I still have the original barrels, after a very thorough cleaning, they are both shooting well again. So I would tend to agree with the others in this thread, for CCW it is not really worth it unless your barrel is shot out. If you were using it for matches, then a custom fit barrel will pretty much always be more accurate. As for reliability, there is no reason a match barrel can't be 100% reliable, especially for a specific round. Like anything used for CCW, I would run a couple hundred rounds of my carry ammo through it before I trusted it no matter if it had the stock barrel or a match one.

The Sig220ST in .45 w/Lasergrips I shoot will print 2" groups at 50 ft.from a rest. If you want to improve your Sig give it a trigger job or better sights.

I bought six Bar-Sto barrels years ago for Glock-21's that I suppressed. The chambers were so tight, "nothing" would feed. It took three trips back to them before they were right. Each time,they charged me freight!
If it was not for the fact that I needed threaded bbls - I would never purchase one to replace the factory ones,unless I intended to shoot lead.

I bought six Bar-Sto barrels years ago for Glock-21's that I suppressed. The chambers were so tight, "nothing" would feed. It took three trips back to them before they were right. Each time,they charged me freight!
If it was not for the fact that I needed threaded bbls - I would never purchase one to replace the factory ones,unless I intended to shoot lead.

Stock Glock barrels, particularly the .45s, shoot very well with lead hard cast lead.

Back
Top Bottom