• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Opening pheasent Rutland.

There had to have been 100 guys hunting around the prison camps, there was a lot of shots ripping off and a lot of birds falling out of the sky, it was a good day and no one was hurt. I got one bird. but wow this being my first pheasent hunting trip i was a little worried that there was way to may people there but no accidents that i saw, everyone was showing responsible gun handling which was nice to see and made me feel a little safer. im hooked im going as soon as i can.
Were any of you guys there on this gorgeous day?

Congrats on your bird.

I went around noon. My club stocks birds and so I headed that way. I was the only one there when I got in. My dog flushed 3, 2 of which were too close to the road to shoot at but I got a bb into the third. She went down in a swamp so I had to go in after her. My dog found her and she went up again and I got a better shot off that time.

I’ll head back out on Monday morning if I can.

My club stocks, as does another one in town. I think they need to have a bigger wait between release of the birds and the opening of the season. I know one guy who would whistle when he fed the birds. Then he went into the woods and whistled, and the birds came to him! Not very sporting if you ask me. I remember when I used to see wild ones coming through my back yard as a kid.

All that said, bird hunting is fun. I want to try duck hunting some time, but I need someone to show me the ropes.

Wild ones are a thing of the past around here. Not enough farm to support more than a few birds from year to year. I’ve seen maybe 2 in the last 10 years that were out and about in the spring.

I do agree that releasing earlier would be good though. We have them coming back to the pen looking for breakfast every day. I send my dog to flush them off into the woods but they just come right back.

Wild ones are a thing of the past around here. Not enough farm to support more than a few birds from year to year. I’ve seen maybe 2 in the last 10 years that were out and about in the spring.

I do agree that releasing earlier would be good though. We have them coming back to the pen looking for breakfast every day. I send my dog to flush them off into the woods but they just come right back.

Only problem we've seen releasing the birds early are the number taken by coyotes in our area.

Back
Top Bottom