• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open-carrying an empty handgun in car?

I might drive up to NH to visit some buddies over the long weekend, and was planning on open-carrying while I was there as I do not yet have a CCW permit valid in NH (odd that they don't accept MA permits). I know I can't have a loaded gun in my car, but rather than unholster, unload, and lock-up when I cross the border, is it permissible to simply unload, stow the magazine in my glove compartment, and reholster?

there is no reason to OC in NH unless you are going to say Manchester or Nashua.

It isn't as widely accepted as people would have you believe... ask Doobie.

Because of one incident I wouldn't say it isn't widely accepted. For the 20 times I've done it, I got detained for 5 minutes once. And I think only because they got a call saying I had "two pistols." And my flashlight could have looked like a partially concealed one.

If it is not loaded (empty mag or no mag) and nothing in the chamber you can do whatever you want with it (conceal or unconceal).

I would be wary of simply removing the loaded mag and throwing it in the glove box. RSA 159:4 says, "A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges." It does not say the magazine has to actually be inserted into the pistol. I suppose if you made sure to lock to glove box, you'd have a better argument.

now I wonder if a J frame with speed loaders would be a different situation as in theory the speed loader is not a part of the gun.

I might drive up to NH to visit some buddies over the long weekend, and was planning on open-carrying while I was there as I do not yet have a CCW permit valid in NH (odd that they don't accept MA permits). I know I can't have a loaded gun in my car, but rather than unholster, unload, and lock-up when I cross the border, is it permissible to simply unload, stow the magazine in my glove compartment, and reholster?

Yes, I used to do this years ago. (Well, minus the open carry part, but
when I went to NH I would just unload before going across the border. )

Frankly, though, get yourself an NH permit for the whopping $20 and save yourself the hassle and BS. Constantly loading and unload a handgun sucks.

-Mike

Yes, I used to do this years ago. (Well, minus the open carry part, but
when I went to NH I would just unload before going across the border. )

Frankly, though, get yourself an NH permit for the whopping $20 and save yourself the hassle and BS. Constantly loading and unload a handgun sucks.

-Mike

x2. with how cheap and easy it is to get a NH Non-Res permit, its a no brainer in my opinion.

Before I got my out of state NH permit, a group of us was attending the Idpa match in Dunbarton at the Pioneer Valley club.

On the way home about 10 of us decided to stop for an early dinner
Several of us have ethical problems with storing a gun in an unattended vehicle, so we chose to carry openly. It was pretty funny seeing 6 out of 10 of us open carrying full sized semi-autos into this restaurant. The owner commented that his restaurant was not the safest restaurant in new hampshire.

Don

p.s. +3 on drgrant's comment. Why not get a permit.

p.p.s. I used to keep a nonresident Mass permit so I could use the S&W range up in Springfield. What a nightmare. It was good for 1 year, took about 6 months, cost about $100, and required a new set of fingerprints and background check every time. Eventually I just stopped bothering to renew. After that hassle, NH was so simple it truly IS a no-brainer.

What a nightmare. It was good for 1 year, took about 6 months, cost about $100, and required a new set of fingerprints and background check every time. Eventually I just stopped bothering to renew.

Just as intented.[crying]

Back
Top Bottom