• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Open Carry Texas Style

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
So a Dozen Armed Gentlemen Walk into a Jack in the Box…

A group of more than a dozen armed men in Dallas Fort Worth gave some Jack in the Box employees quite a scare when they entered the restaurant to grab some grub. The men were Open Carry Firearm demonstrators who were protesting their rights to carry firearms in public.

According to NBC Dallas Fort Worth, the employees locked themselves in the freezer in fear of getting robbed by the armed men. Naturally, the police were alert and about 15 officers arrived on the scene. One of the demonstrators, Edwin Haros, said that they weren’t breaking any laws or trying to scare anybody. Haros said they just wanted to exercise their constitutional rights.

http://www.foodbeast.com/2014/05/05/so-a-dozen-armed-gentlemen-walk-into-a-jack-in-the-box/

JackintheBoxGunman.jpg

What are they doing, writing a manual entitled "How to get an entire chain of restauraunts to post binding signage?" [thinking]

-Mike

walk in with a gun on your hip, and I probably wouldnt even look twice.....but walk in with an AR on a sling, and even I might poop a little.

Agreed with above. I can understand open carrying a handgun on your hip, leg, whatever. But walking around in public with a rifle or shotgun, of any kind, is a bit much.

I understand what they're doing and i also feel that it is counter productive to the cause. Easing people into the sight of a gun by open carrying on your hip is different from scaring the bejesus out of people while walking around with an "assault" rifle.

Agreed with above. I can understand open carrying a handgun on your hip, leg, whatever. But walking around in public with a rifle or shotgun, of any kind, is a bit much.

I understand what they're doing and i also feel that it is counter productive to the cause. Easing people into the sight of a gun by open carrying on your hip is different from scaring the bejesus out of people while walking around with an "assault" rifle.

Open carry of a handgun in Texas is not lawful. Concealed carry only. Apparently long gun laws are different, but it is crystal clear that you cannot open carry a handgun.

The baby steps would result in arrest...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Open carry of a handgun in Texas is not lawful. Concealed carry only. Apparently long gun laws are different, but it is crystal clear that you cannot open carry a handgun.

The baby steps would result in arrest...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I did not know that. I thought for sure that handgun open carry would be legal in Texas of all places. You learn something new every day.

I did not know that. I thought for sure that handgun open carry would be legal in Texas of all places. You learn something new every day.

Contrary to popular belief it has never been that way..

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/index.php/editorials/37-straight-talk-about-open-carry

History of Open-Carry in Texas

It will probably be helpful to briefly cover the history of open-carry in Texas before getting into the issues that have arisen in the past and that we can expect to hear again in 2013. Since shortly after the end of the Civil War, it is been illegal for Texans to carry handguns outside your home, except in very limited circumstances (see above). In 1995, the Texas Legislature passed the first concealed handgun statute creating a system whereby Texans and nonresidents could obtain a Concealed Handgun License. The statute requires everyone who carries a handgun under the authority of their Concealed Handgun License to keep their handgun concealed so it will not be seen by the general public.

It is also legal for Texans to have a handgun in their motor vehicle, or a motor vehicle under their control, without first obtaining a Texas Concealed Handgun License. However, Texas law requires that persons carrying a handgun in their motor vehicle make sure that their gun is not in plain view. So although Texas has never had a stand-alone law prohibiting open-carry of handguns, it has been illegal to do so either because of the general prohibition on carrying handguns, or due to the restrictions placed on concealed handgun licensees and motorists with handguns in their cars.

However the rules on where and how you can have a handgun are VASTLY different from here up north. And the CHL process is guaranteed and simpler.

Open carry of long guns is legal, open carry of handguns (except on private property) is not. Like most people, I found it surprising, but then again concealed carry of handguns in TX is fairly recent as well.

I get what OCT is trying to do, but their tactics seem counter productive to me.

prefer concealed but need to do away with the entire "print" issue. its BS

Last edited:
Since shortly after the end of the Civil War, it is been illegal for Texans to carry handguns outside your home, except in very limited circumstances (see above). In 1995, the Texas Legislature passed the first concealed handgun statute creating a system whereby Texans and nonresidents could obtain a Concealed Handgun License. The statute requires everyone who carries a handgun under the authority of their Concealed Handgun License to keep their handgun concealed so it will not be seen by the general public.

Anyone else find it ironic that Mass had a system to allow concealed carry long before Texas did.

The guy on the left: Wouldn't he have a more accurate shot if he had the forward grip there farther down the barrell? I was told by an excellent marksman if your hands are too close together you get too much pivot, and that you may look like a queer but you should hold the gun as far down the barrell as possible. I may be embellishing but that was the jist.

There has been a thread on this site about a man getting arrested in Texas for open carry of a rifle while out either out hunting or a walk with his kid. The cops did **** Up, But it still caused heart burn. The thread did explain the handgun issue.
And he was an active duty Staff Sergeant.

And he was an active duty Staff Sergeant.

He also happens to be the president of 'Open Carry Texas' and because of this incident, him and the people this thread is about are no longer affiliated with each other.

C.J. Grisham, President of Open Carry Texas, would like to clarify that this was a “mutual split” between the two groups because of differing opinions about how to move forward with getting open-carry legislation passed.

The split was a MUTUAL split and I made this very clear to the reporter I spoke with. To take something I said out of context to create controversy is abhorrent and wrong. Open Carry Tarrant County was not "disowned" by Open Carry Texas. We have different views about how to move forward and after much discussion decided it was best to go our separate ways. They were no more disowned by us as we were disowned by them. CJ Grisham, President, Open Carry Texas

Those girls are all in the israeli armed forces (whatever they call themselves) as part of their conscripted mandatory service. It sucks for regular civilians.

Yup! I have an IT manager in Israel who comes over here for meetings a couple of times a year. He did his active service and still is reserve and does 4 weeks a year I think. He is a tank commander. Even as active reserve he is severely restricted outside of that service period and needs a permit that he has to frequently renew. If he let it lapse he doesn't think he would ever get it again. That and some ridiculous 100 rounds per year limit on ammo, not sure if it is really 100 but its definitely below 500. I don't know the details as in per caliber or per gun or what but I know it is a very low round count. He said if he didn't have friends in active duty who can get him ammo he could never really shoot more than once or twice a year.

Yup! I have an IT manager in Israel who comes over here for meetings a couple of times a year. He did his active service and still is reserve and does 4 weeks a year I think. He is a tank commander. Even as active reserve he is severely restricted outside of that service period and needs a permit that he has to frequently renew. If he let it lapse he doesn't think he would ever get it again. That and some ridiculous 100 rounds per year limit on ammo, not sure if it is really 100 but its definitely below 500. I don't know the details as in per caliber or per gun or what but I know it is a very low round count. He said if he didn't have friends in active duty who can get him ammo he could never really shoot more than once or twice a year.

According to wikipedia, can only purchase 50 rounds a year outside of buying and using at shooting ranges.

There ya go, worse than I thought :) I couldn't remember the whole conversation, last one was 6 months ago over lobsters and beers :)

Back
Top Bottom