Open carry of rifles in NH

doobie

Banned
Is it legal to open carry a loaded rifle anywhere (other than car, boat, train, plane) in NH?

Is it legal to open carry a loaded rifle anywhere (other than car, boat, train, plane) in NH?

The only places prohibited by NH state law are courthouses and near vehicles transporting explosives. By federal law, federal buildings (the usual arguments about Title 18, USC, Section 930 (d) aside) and within 1000 feet of an elementary or secondary school.

The school zones are the only places you'd likely have to be careful about.

(Btw, for vehicles you can't have a loaded rifle on, you forgot ATVs and snowmobiles)

The only places prohibited by NH state law are courthouses and near vehicles transporting explosives. By federal law, federal buildings (the usual arguments about Title 18, USC, Section 930 (d) aside) and within 1000 feet of an elementary or secondary school.

(Btw, for vehicles you can't have a loaded rifle on, you forgot ATVs and snowmobiles)

Yup, I know vehicles (cars, trucks, buses, atvs, snowmobiles, planes, gliders, boats, canoes, kayaks, etc, etc) are illegal. I just didn't know if there were other issues.

I thought there was some issue with crossing a right of way with a loaded rifle...but maybe I'm thinking of MA.

Now the question is... do I want to really take the 'risk' to see what would happen from an AR-15 open carry litter clean up...

thought there was some issue with crossing a right of way with a loaded rifle...but maybe I'm thinking of MA.

Nope, there are some laws on actually firing the rifle (not in densely populated city centers, not over highways, not without land owners permission, etc) but not a lot of restrictions on just having them loaded.

doobie said:
Now the question is... do I want to really take the 'risk' to see what would happen from an AR-15 open carry litter clean up...

Well... I'll be interested to watch the video [wink]

I think having 6 guys with loaded AR15's would definitely get some attention. But I fear all one person has to do is accidentally laser someone during cleanup and it could get messy. I would vote against it.

Nope, there are some laws on actually firing the rifle (not in densely populated city centers, not over highways, not without land owners permission, etc) but not a lot of restrictions on just having them loaded.

Well... I'll be interested to watch the video [wink]

Yeah, the state doesn't allow towns/cities to make regulations that restrict any firearm/gun laws. Well, it was Dave Ridley who mentioned it. And everything I found seemed to indicate it wasn't illegal. Not that I would try to get my name associated with it.... but it would be fun to see it happen in Manch, Concord, or Nashua.

I think having 6 guys with loaded AR15's would definitely get some attention. But I fear all one person has to do is accidentally laser someone during cleanup and it could get messy. I would vote against it.

I don't think we'd get 6 people....probably 2 or 3.

I suspect that anyone careless enough to leave a laser on and sweep someone with it would find it just as easy, if not easier to do with a handgun than an AR.

Ken

I think it would be good to note the update Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1996

18 USC 922(q)(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm--
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is--
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

holy%20thread%20resurrection.jpg

Back
Top Bottom