• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Online hunter education courses?

I remember reading that there are online only classes that satisfy the requirements for MA hunter education, but can’t really seem to locate any solid info on this. Any good resources on classes (assuming this is true), or any tips on how to pick up a license with the least amount of in person component?

Here's the most recent thread with conversation about it:

Looks like Google still works, too:
1588959511147.png

Here's the most recent thread with conversation about it:

Looks like Google still works, too:
View attachment 355317
So the link you provided is for firearms safety, not hunters ed (unless I missed something in there). I did do a search but most every recent post I can find suggests to take the Texas one, but when you go to the Texas website, it says in all caps that it's for Texas residents only.

I spoke directly with Fish and Wildlife about this. Here's part of what I got back from them:

Another option is to consider a course in a different state. Government issued certificates from any jurisdiction are accepted as proof of successfully completing the course in order to purchase your first-ever hunting license. This option is only recommended if you already have a MA firearms license or do not wish to obtain a MA firearms license. An out-of-state Basic Hunter Education certificate will not be accepted by your local police department to apply for a firearms license.

I completed the Texas hunter education course online here: Official Texas Hunter Safety Course | HUNTERcourse.com

I was issued a certificate from Texas Parks and Wildlife certifying that I completed the course, and I show up in their system. Take a look at the site again: Hunter Education Online-Only Courses — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

It says it was "designed" for Texas residents, not that Texas residency is required.

I spoke directly with Fish and Wildlife about this. Here's part of what I got back from them:

I completed the Texas hunter education course online here: Official Texas Hunter Safety Course | HUNTERcourse.com

I was issued a certificate from Texas Parks and Wildlife certifying that I completed the course, and I show up in their system. Take a look at the site again: Hunter Education Online-Only Courses — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

It says it was "designed" for Texas residents, not that Texas residency is required.

my wife has taken this course. i can vouch for it.

Apologies. Clearly I need a nap this afternoon...

So the link you provided is for firearms safety, not hunters ed (unless I missed something in there). I did do a search but most every recent post I can find suggests to take the Texas one, but when you go to the Texas website, it says in all caps that it's for Texas residents only.

Continuing down the first page of that thread, a user asks if folks can take Hunters Ed online. The thread diverges and answers that exact question:
Yes.

Example: Online Hunter Education temporarily waives field day, allowing certification to continue uninterrupted

Some states don't require a field day. Upon completion, your cert is acceptable towards a hunting license in every state in the union. Looks like that's changed.
The next question is, would it meet the requirements for an FID? I won't even venture to guess.

(N.B. The above is not an endorsement, nor am I affiliated; it just happens to be the site I used when I took the course during a bout of insomnia.)
That particular post links to a story story that links to a site: Hunter-ed.com™ | State-Approved Hunter Safety Courses

That site has classes for the several states: Hunter-ed.com™ | State-Approved Hunter Safety Courses

Among those states are:
Texas - hunter-ed.com - mentioned here and in many other threads (including some of the ones shown in the sample google search) as one of the states that doesn't require a field day​
and Idaho - hunter-ed.com - described in the aforementioned article as currently waiving their field days​

There are other states that don't require field days. There are other sites that offer the class online. This is just one way to solve the problem you've presented.

Apologies. Clearly I need a nap this afternoon...

Continuing down the first page of that thread, a user asks if folks can take Hunters Ed online. The thread diverges and answers that exact question:

That particular post links to a story story that links to a site: Hunter-ed.com™ | State-Approved Hunter Safety Courses

That site has classes for the several states: Hunter-ed.com™ | State-Approved Hunter Safety Courses

Among those states are:
Texas - hunter-ed.com - mentioned here and in many other threads (including some of the ones shown in the sample google search) as one of the states that doesn't require a field day​
and Idaho - hunter-ed.com - described in the aforementioned article as currently waiving their field days​

There are other states that don't require field days. There are other sites that offer the class online. This is just one way to solve the problem you've presented.

i want to say it was the Utah bowhunter ed online class i took, but i needed it to check the box for VT bow hunting. no field day there either

IF you take the Texas course, remember that you are still responsible for knowing all the Mass hunting laws, and gun laws WRT hunting.

If you have an LTC-A Restrictions: None, you still can't carry while hunting, unless it's a species that handgun is permitted for (e.g. Black Bear, and then there are other restrictions to consider). Or that having a "loaded" gun leaning against your parked and turned off vehicle is the same as driving around, waiting for a shot at Bambi out of the window.

IMNSHO, the most important part of the Mass HE course is not the stuff in the book - it's the stuff that the instructors and the EPO tell you, about reality.

IF you take the Texas course, remember that you are still responsible for knowing all the Mass hunting laws, and gun laws WRT hunting.

If you have an LTC-A Restrictions: None, you still can't carry while hunting, unless it's a species that handgun is permitted for (e.g. Black Bear, and then there are other restrictions to consider). Or that having a "loaded" gun leaning against your parked and turned off vehicle is the same as driving around, waiting for a shot at Bambi out of the window.

IMNSHO, the most important part of the Mass HE course is not the stuff in the book - it's the stuff that the instructors and the EPO tell you, about reality.
This is what I've read elsewhere online as well - that the most important part of the MA classes are the laws specific to MA. I found a few good "MA study guides" that seem to cover a lot of the state specific laws, and I plan on going with experienced hunters only, so hopefully I have most of it covered. I'm about halfway through the Texas one and so far it's been a lot about muzzleloaders, crossbows, and reminding people not to shoot each other.

The thing to remember is that it's a BASIC course, regardless of where, or how, you take it.

There are always a good percentage of students that have absolutely no prior connection to hunting and/or shooting. I strongly advise them to join a Club. First, they'll need some place to practice, so that they can get the shot on target, and secondly, so that they can get some practical info. Watching an old-time member dress a deer in under ten minutes, with frequent digressions as to why something is being done, and pointing out the broadhead's path through the heart (after removal), is extremely educational.

One of the things that I tell each class, is that if you're deer hunting, always hunt uphill fro your car, if you can. Easier to drag a deer out, when gravity's helping. [laugh] See? Practical info. I got that from my Dad.

If you do go the out-of-state class route, get the Abstracts and read them. WMAs have shooting time and equipment restrictions, for instance, that don't apply elsewhere. Know the rules for going onto the land of another without permission. Have the Fish Cops' phone number in your phone. If you don't know the law, when the busy-body calls the local cops on you, and the local cop does not know the law as regards to hunting, you're screwed.

I remember reading that there are online only classes that satisfy the requirements for MA hunter education, but can’t really seem to locate any solid info on this. Any good resources on classes (assuming this is true), or any tips on how to pick up a license with the least amount of in person component?

Any state certified course from any state works. Jump on the NRA web site.They have a listing for various online hunting courses. The Oklahoma course is free and does not require any field day time and can be completed online. That allows you to check off the box on the Mass application saying you have previously passed a course.

Hunters Education

Thanks guys. I decided to take the Texas course on the NRA site and was able to finish it in 2 days online. Getting the certificate was a bit odd as they force you to enter a County and only have Texas options so you just have to pick a random one, but it doesn't look like it effects anything.

I picked up on most of that when reading through the MA hunter regulations provided by fish & wildlife. But the biggest lesson I took from it was that I'd probably be a lot happier getting a non-resident license outside of MA, much like pretty much everything else in this state.

Back
Top Bottom