Online basic hunter education course in MA?

New guy here. I apologize if this is covered in another thread, but could not find any tangible information.

I am looking for an online hunter education course open to MA residents (my schedule does not work well with the standard 4 day courses) and can't seem to be able to find one. The NH one appears to be for NH residents only.

Any suggestion/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Maybe one of the local clubs offers a members-only class? I was thinking of joining a hunting club once I get through the basic course, maybe I have this backwards and it would be easier to join a club and then take the course.

Thanks a bunch!
--Jordan

Last I knew, nothing is offered online. And classes fill up quickly once posted.

Have you gotten on the contact list for when classes open up? You generally get an email a week or two before the listing goes public.

Not easy to work around the scheduling. My son had to skip four classes before he found a compatible schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you find a course that is compatible with your schedule, show up even if it shows as full. i just completed a 2 weekend hunter ed class and am in the middle of the trapper ed class. there were walk-ins in both and i heard instructors in both classes say that they never turn anyone away. you may not find a place to sit (true in both classes i attended so far...) but the instructors all carry in large boxes of printed course material so there is plenty to go around. remember that the instructors are volunteers and the education is free. there will be "homework". behave accordingly.

New guy here. I apologize if this is covered in another thread, but could not find any tangible information.

I am looking for an online hunter education course open to MA residents (my schedule does not work well with the standard 4 day courses) and can't seem to be able to find one. The NH one appears to be for NH residents only.

Any suggestion/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Maybe one of the local clubs offers a members-only class? I was thinking of joining a hunting club once I get through the basic course, maybe I have this backwards and it would be easier to join a club and then take the course.

Thanks a bunch!
--Jordan

wow that's new. I took the NH course back in the fall and there were a couple others not from NH

Thanks for the replies! I guess I just have to wait and find the right course.

There is an Independent study class, which is one weeknight 3 hour class were they give you take home work. Then one full day class on either sat or sun about 2 weeks later

Last edited:
There are a couple of options in Mass: The "old style" course that takes six sessions, and the new style that has two classroom sessions, and a full-day class.

AFAIK, a Mass resident ma take the NH class, and get a Mass license, based on reciprocity. Call the NH F&W to check.

If you want to stay in Mass, go to the MassWildife website, and be ready to sign up right away. Many that are full will take walk-ins. Get into one as soon as possible. When September comes, everyone wants to know where all the classes are.....the instructors are in the woods.

There is an Independent study class, which is one weeknight 3 hour class were they give you take home work. Then one full day class on either sat or sun about 2 weeks later

There are a couple of options in Mass: The "old style" course that takes six sessions, and the new style that has two classroom sessions, and a full-day class.

I guess I have not waited long enough for one of these short-format "independent study" classes to show up -- I have only seen the 6-day and 4-day classes. They post of the MassWildlife website as well, correct?

AFAIK, a Mass resident ma take the NH class, and get a Mass license, based on reciprocity. Call the NH F&W to check.

I will give them a call on Monday, but their website explicitly states: "You must be a resident of NH to take the online course".

I guess I have not waited long enough for one of these short-format "independent study" classes to show up -- I have only seen the 6-day and 4-day classes. They post of the MassWildlife website as well, correct?

I will give them a call on Monday, but their website explicitly states: "You must be a resident of NH to take the online course".

I would also contact MA F&W (or whatever name they are using now) to make sure it qualifies. I can't remember the specifics on what other courses MA accepts, if any.

Couldn't you take the Texas online hunter ed course. I believe it is available to non residents, does not require a field day and qualifies you to buy a Texas hunting license. Once you have a hunting license from one state you can buy buy one in any U.S. state and Canada. I took the NH course last year and a field day at a club in NH to complete the course. But I think they ended the NH online course for non residents recently.

Thanks a bunch!
--Jordan

THe NH ones are NOT for NH residents only. I took mine in NH and am from mass

Couldn't you take the Texas online hunter ed course. I believe it is available to non residents, does not require a field day and qualifies you to buy a Texas hunting license. Once you have a hunting license from one state you can buy buy one in any U.S. state and Canada. I took the NH course last year and a field day at a club in NH to complete the course. But I think they ended the NH online course for non residents recently.

Excellent idea! Will check it out and will update if this works!

Excellent idea! Will check it out and will update if this works!

Are you simply not able to take the regular hunter ed course due to scheduling? My wife and son just took theirs....two saturdays and it was done.

- - - Updated - - -

yep, apparently they changed the rules since fall 2013

That blows......took mine in spring 2013.

Worked like a charm! The Texas online-only class + $15 gets a certificate which satisfies the MassWildlife requirements:

https://texashuntered.com/

Thanks all for your help!

That blows......took mine in spring 2013.

Yeah, it's too bad because the NH field day was enjoyable. I'd have paid a premium as an out of stater to take the class. There were only like 5 out of 40 (?) non-NH residents and most of the non-residents were planning to hunt in NH at their cottage or on relative's land in NH.

I guess you could blame me because when it came to the live fire (.22 rifles at 25 yds) my shooting was so above and beyond the others they don't let Mass holes in the class no more! [laugh] I done showed them NH folk how it's done with my ragged hole grouping! One kid missed the target all 10 times and the instructors were kind enough to spend some more time with him. I was surprised that some in the class (granted they were young, like 16 and up) had never fired a gun before.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's too bad because the NH field day was enjoyable. I'd have paid a premium as an out of stater to take the class. There were only like 5 out of 40 (?) non-NH residents and most of the non-residents were planning to hunt in NH at their cottage or on relative's land in NH.

I guess you could blame me because when it came to the live fire (.22 rifles at 25 yds) my shooting was so above and beyond the others they don't let Mass holes in the class no more! [laugh] I done showed them NH folk how it's done with my ragged hole grouping! One kid missed the target all 10 times and the instructors were kind enough to spend some more time with him. I was surprised that some in the class (granted they were young, like 16 and up) had never fired a gun before.
There was one moonbat in my class that was taking the class to "understand" more about guns and hunting ......she made it clear she had no intention of ever hunting and owned no fire arms. She asked so many damn questions during the instruction you could tell the trainers were getting impatient with her.....but stayed professional.

- - - Updated - - -

Worked like a charm! The Texas online-only class + $15 gets a certificate which satisfies the MassWildlife requirements:

https://texashuntered.com/

Thanks all for your help![/QUOTEi will spread the word

Do you have to buy a Texas hunting license before a MA ME or NH license or just the class?
I took the class in NH. When purchasing a license online in ma the website asks you to check a box stating that youbswear under the penalties of purgury that you have taken a hunter education course........then u just buy and print the license. I keep a copy of my hunter end cert in mybwallet with my hunting license.I would assume the process would be the same with a TX cert.

Last edited:
I took the class in NH. When purchasing a license online in ma the website asks you to check a box stating that youbswear under the penalties of purgury that you have taken a hunter education course........then u just buy and print the license. I keep a copy of my hunter end cert in mybwallet with my hunting license.I would assume the process would be the same with a TX cert.

That must be new on the licensing website. It used to be that first issue of license had to be at a dealer (Walmart etc. or DFW office) so they could verify certificate.

That must be new on the licensing website. It used to be that first issue of license had to be at a dealer (Walmart etc. or DFW office) so they could verify certificate.

I got my first license in 2013 and the block to swear you took hunter ed was there.

tx_hunt_card.jpg

This is what it looks like, just got mine in the mail the other day. The back of the rip off card says proof of certification must be carried with you while hunting in Texas. Back of the physical card has the rules of firearm safety.

This is what it looks like, just got mine in the mail the other day. The back of the rip off card says proof of certification must be carried with you while hunting in Texas. Back of the physical card has the rules of firearm safety.

I was looking into this today for my wife and it said if you're 16+ you have to go to a field day course; is that new? did you have to do that when you took the Texas course?

I just completed the Hunter Ed course at the Nashua Fish and Game Club last Saturday. The
Certificate is good for Firearm and Bow Hunting. The Certificate is also good for all 50 States,
Canada, and Mexico. I don't know how you could hunt in Mexico because bringing Firearms or
ammo into the country is illegal.

I drove to Concord for my Hunting License. I added a turkey tag to the antlered deer tag that comes
with the license. I also purchased a WMA "M" antlerless deer tag good for two deer in Southern NH.

Malodave

Back
Top Bottom