One for the NRA

Garys

NES Member
NRA forces Pelosi retreat

Democrats may be running the House, but the National Rifle Association (NRA) can still stop a bill in its tracks.

House Democratic leaders on Tuesday pulled legislation from the floor that seemingly had nothing to do with guns because the NRA disliked it.

The bill in question would give the District of Columbia a voting member of Congress. The gun-rights lobby prefers a Senate version, which includes language amending the District’s gun policies, and some suggest the NRA could make life difficult for conservative Democrats if that language is not included in the House version.

Also, Democratic leaders like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) were quick to shoot down the administration’s trial balloon on bringing back the assault-weapons ban.

There's a lot more to the article, and the battle is far from over. Read the entire article for the context.

Still, it's a slightly encouraging sign.

Also, Democratic leaders like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.) were quick to shoot down the administration’s trial balloon on bringing back the assault-weapons ban.
Here's what I read:
Also, Demonic leaders like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (Nev.)...
That happens to me a lot but not usually such a funny error...

I'm sure there was a lot more going on in the background then just the NRAs dislike of the bill, but it is interesting to see the Dems backing away from Gun Legislation. Not sure if it will stay that way long term, but it's encouraging.

There are a lot of pro-gun Democrates from pro gun states in Congress now a days and it would be political suicide for them to vote for additional gun legislation. If anything they are not stupid. They remember what happened in 94 and do not want to see a repeat.

I'm sure there was a lot more going on in the background then just the NRAs dislike of the bill, but it is interesting to see the Dems backing away from Gun Legislation. Not sure if it will stay that way long term, but it's encouraging.

There are a lot of pro-gun Democrates from pro gun states in Congress now a days and it would be political suicide for them to vote for additional gun legislation. If anything they are not stupid. They remember what happened in 94 and do not want to see a repeat.

I think, I hope, that it will stay that way until at least after the 2010 election. The Democrats are going to have enough problems with the economic BS going on without adding pissed off (and likely to vote) gun owners to the mix.

The Blue Dog Democrats are giving Pelosi fits because they aren't on board with a lot of what she has in mind.

Back
Top Bottom