• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old war movie error

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Just got thru watching an old movie B&W (1944) called Waterfront. It was about wartime espionage in SF Calif.

A Nazi spy shot an American and the SFPD was investigating. The Nazi shot the American with a Luger. When the gun went bang, the action never cycled.
When the cops retreived the bullet, it was stated, "This bullet came from an automatic Mauser or some other German revolver".

You'da thunk they'd be more informed back then what with evverything going on.

Perhaps it was a reference to the "zig-zag" Mauser which, like the Fosbery-Webley, used recoil to cycle the action on a revolver. Ugly and clumsy, but it did work.

I don't know of any "other German revolver" using 9mm or .30 Luger, but it's possible there were some, like our 1917 revolvers. Then again, why not look for the LIKELY weapon; a Luger or a P-38?

Milsurps 4 Me said:
No worse than Tom Berenger picking up a Mosin sniper and calling it a Mauser in the last Sniper movie. [rolleyes]

I remember that one too well.

I just saw a movie with Tracy Lords on Sci-Fi. She has a handgun that must of been a spray painted Gamo. The bore was too small, and it looked just like a BB gun I have. Later in the movie the typical pump of the shotgun "let's go". Didn't she do better movies in the past?

Then a movie after that with a Lizard attacking a town. A man shot 35 rounds from his .45. Never re-loading.

But I guess this is Sci-Fi. John Edwards and space dramas. My wife tortures me with this every once and a while, and she does know better.

Producer said:
I just saw a movie with Tracy Lords on Sci-Fi. She has a handgun that must of been a spray painted Gamo. The bore was too small, and it looked just like a BB gun I have. Later in the movie the typical pump of the shotgun "let's go". Didn't she do better movies in the past?

Some actors and actresses need to stick to what they're best at.[laugh]

On a side note: One thing that bugs the hell outa me in movies and tv shows is the contsant ::click:: ::click:: racking of guns, sometimes a half a dozen times on the same gun within 2 minutes. Just once i'd like to see an actor chamber the slide on a pistol while getting ready for an action moment, then 30 seconds later when he does it again have a live round fly out and him say "Oh.. thats right. I already chambered a round before during my bad ass scene." [smile]

Back
Top Bottom