• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old Powder

I've used up powders that I have had for 20-30 years without a problem. Had more problems finding load info. If the containers are not rusty or show obvious signs of taking on moisture AND the powder doesn't smell rancid, it should be OK. I'd load 5 and try it out.

As long as it/they were sealed tight it should be good to go.

Careful with that.

Even sealed cans will go bad if they're exposed to heat.

Short of loading a few up and trying them out, the smell test is a pretty good indicator. If it smells faintly like ether the powder is probably good. If you get an acidic or strong peppery smell, watch out.

The blue dot is sealed with a poly liner in a steel can. The opened can of Unique doesn't smell like a fresh can with the wonderful wiff of toluene.

What will the acid pepper powder do if loaded and shot?

Careful with that.

Even sealed cans will go bad if they're exposed to heat.

Short of loading a few up and trying them out, the smell test is a pretty good indicator. If it smells faintly like ether the powder is probably good. If you get an acidic or strong peppery smell, watch out.

Thank You for the clarification. I learn something new everyday and spoke to soon.

See if you can whiff some fresh Unique so you can make a comparison. Some powders smell a little peppery even when new.

OUT OF DATE powder can be sprinkled out on your lawn as fertilizer. It's the best way to deal with disposing of it.

EC's advice is "spot on!" (my new favorite phrase.....)

I like to wait until dark and light it up all at once. Unfortunately, doesn't do much for the grass in this case!

If you put it on the lawn, the grass will grow more and you'll have to cut it more, cutting into range time....

Save it 'till Halloween....take a few Jack-o-lanterns, and run cannon fuse through them. Put a couple of ounces of powder in each....light fuse, and get away.

Flame shoots out of the holes....most impressive! (or so I've heard.....not that I'd ever do something that entertaining....)

OUT OF DATE powder can be sprinkled out on your lawn as fertilizer. It's the best way to deal with disposing of it.

EC's advice is "spot on!" (my new favorite phrase.....)

Tomatoes love the old powder and no grass to cut! Personally for the cost of powder do you really want to bother with inconsistent loads if there is any question on it being good or not?

Dave

Powder was south of cheese. I loaded up 50, .45 rounds on Saturday and noticed reduction in recoil, key holes on the paper and more than usual unburned powder sprinkling my hand which prompted me to post the question. I sniffed tested a fresh can of unique to compare and the old can smelled vastly different.

Thanks everyone for the help, i really appreciate it!

Gotta love guys who have to test things for themselves (rather than take the advice of "experts") LOL J/K

Now, about your plans to jump the Snake River with a rocket bike............... not a good idea.......

Gotta love guys who have to test things for themselves (rather than take the advice of "experts") LOL J/K

Now, about your plans to jump the Snake River with a rocket bike............... not a good idea.......

FYI, i had already loaded and shot before i posted the question.

Rocket bike takes flight on Monday!

Back
Top Bottom