OK, Ray. The Museum is Open: Type 63 SKS

It took three long years to locate, and after a month of tense negotiations and horsetrading to secure a deal, a North Korean Type 63 SKS finally made it into the fold. I'm stoked.

All matching, retrofitted (stateside? I don't know) M1 grenade launcher with M15 sight, sanded stock (drat!), and one of only a handful or two known in the country. A museum piece for the Simonov fans like you, Ray! And for the rest of the good guys at NES, enjoy and thanks for looking.

type-63_001.JPG

type-63_007.JPG

type-63_008.JPG

type-63_009.JPG

type-63_011.JPG

type-63_003.JPG

type-63_019.JPG

type-63_002.JPG

You are building an incredible collection Martin..... it just keeps getting better and better. Congrats.

I knew you were getting it so it softened the blow. After all, I don't know anyone who comes in contact with 2 E Germans after a few years of collecting. You have definitely been touched by the ghost hand of Sergei as that is the only way I can see anyone having been guided to the finds you've come across.[laugh]

I've since started sleeping in a specialized chamber and cut out all un-natural foods/drinks in hopes of living well past your final days so you can include me in your will and I'll get to enjoy the fine specimens in the museum.[wink]

Sorry to be obtuse, but could someone put this into comparable Mauser terms so I can appreciate this? "A handful" in the country gives me a clue as to the rarity.[coffee]

MS

Sorry to be obtuse, but could someone put this into comparable Mauser terms so I can appreciate this? "A handful" in the country gives me a clue as to the rarity.[coffee]

MS

Lets put it this way. There were far fewer countries producing SKS types than Mauser types. Imagine if you will one coming from North Korea where nothing leaves (or is at least not supposed to ever leave). That is the type 63.

Lets put it this way. There were far fewer countries producing SKS types than Mauser types. Imagine if you will one coming from North Korea where nothing leaves (or is at least not supposed to ever leave). That is the type 63.

or a handful: 5.

that's pretty ****ing close, anyways. Because it's probably less in reality.

wow.

Martin you old dog! CONGRATULATION. That is one outstanding find.

I am in the midst of purchasing a rifle manufactured by Winchester for the Russians which was chambered in 7.62x54R. It is as rare as it can get. Its one of those high end auction houses and I can appreciate all the work you must have put into acquiring your new addition. beauty. Sir, you are a credit to our collectors group. Congrats again my friend.

Winchester Contract [shocked]

That's another gun altogether - nothing at all like it. A rare score, and congrats!

And as far as the "handful" goes, here is a thread that keeps track of rare SKS's. Right now, there are only five North Korean's on the list, but I know that I've seen others that haven't been recorded here - but not too many.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=89913.0

Back
Top Bottom