Ok, it's Airsoft, but related....

Decided I'm going to get into airsoft when the funds allow it. Picked up a G17 clone made by Glock. I will say if you need to train, it's a damn good imitation if you don't have access to a range. It was pretty accurate to ~7 yards, didn't really get a chance to take it much further. The reset isn't 'perfect', but it's pretty close shooting fast. I'm a little leery walking around outside with what looks like a gun after last weekend, but we did test it out a little.

Each of my kids went through a mag or two, 20-40 bbs, and only missed once or twice. Edit: The target we were using was about the size of the 5 ring on the TQ targets I used with the feds. I think I have some potential with this group. Now to get my wife outside and using it.

Decided I'm going to get into airsoft when the funds allow it.

Fight for freedom!

FoR-O-wXsAUp4q2.jpg

images

Last edited:
Have never played around with AS. Would they be useful for up drills inside? Accuracy? Does the round go to POA? How's the weight, trigger feel for an AR model? Is it comparable or does it feel like a toy?

Have never played around with AS. Would they be useful for up drills inside? Accuracy? Does the round go to POA? How's the weight, trigger feel for an AR model? Is it comparable or does it feel like a toy?

There was some metal ar-15s that had to be recalled because the lowers were exact copies of real ar15s and would accept real parts and fire real ammo.

The expensive metal battery powered full auto airsoft guns actually make decent pdws. I would NOT want to be sprayed in the face with one, I'd rather be pepper sprayed. POI is pretty good but you have to remember you're pushing a plastic BB to ~300 fps for league rules indoors and up to ~600 fps on those expensive upgraded sniper rifles. The trajectory is like if you threw a tennis ball.

Really fun game when everyone on the field acts like adults. You can get skate park tier fights if people can't just follow the rules and have fun.

What it's really good for, what I like it for, is the problem solving part. Awareness and movement and teamwork. Doesn't stress me out like a hard sparring session or even paintball, so I can't claim it helps with stress management. For some reason when a paintball goes past my head I get excited, but those little airsoft BBs hit me and its more like 'whatever I'm out'

People love to rip on airsoft but if you play hard it's like soccer. You run all day, it's good exercise if nothing else.

There was some metal ar-15s that had to be recalled because the lowers were exact copies of real ar15s and would accept real parts and fire real ammo.

The expensive metal battery powered full auto airsoft guns actually make decent pdws. I would NOT want to be sprayed in the face with one, I'd rather be pepper sprayed. POI is pretty good but you have to remember you're pushing a plastic BB to ~300 fps for league rules indoors and up to ~600 fps on those expensive upgraded sniper rifles. The trajectory is like if you threw a tennis ball.

Really fun game when everyone on the field acts like adults. You can get skate park tier fights if people can't just follow the rules and have fun.

What it's really good for, what I like it for, is the problem solving part. Awareness and movement and teamwork. Doesn't stress me out like a hard sparring session or even paintball, so I can't claim it helps with stress management. For some reason when a paintball goes past my head I get excited, but those little airsoft BBs hit me and its more like 'whatever I'm out'

People love to rip on airsoft but if you play hard it's like soccer. You run all day, it's good exercise if nothing else.
My job has me pretty much leaving in the dark and getting back in the dark. A lot of my weekend is taken up trying to catch up on house/yard/errands that i didnt get to during the week. If I get a decent model to do some drills in the house, will I be accomplishing anything or am I just wasting time and money on a toy?

If top fatty was my son, I'd be thrilled to death that he was outside larping instead of locked in the basement simping for OF demons.
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that at least he's outside and possibly getting fit, you have to start somewhere and learning team tactics isn't a bad life skill to have.

My job has me pretty much leaving in the dark and getting back in the dark. A lot of my weekend is taken up trying to catch up on house/yard/errands that i didnt get to during the week. If I get a decent model to do some drills in the house, will I be accomplishing anything or am I just wasting time and money on a toy?

A good one feels almost exactly like the real thing. I can think of a lot of drills you could do in your house that would be beneficial. Low and high ready drills, pie slicing, peek and light. You won't have muzzle flash or recoil but all handling drills are going to help.

One really helpful skill I picked up from paintball is left hand shooting. I'm super comfortable changing hands and eye with pistol or long gun. I was always ambidextrous but paintball forced me to develop that skill to where it came automatically. Huge advantage in paintball or airsoft. Shoot conventionally from right side of the bunker, duck and pretend to reload as bait. People often run up to your weak side, so switch hands and start slicing the pie to the left. I've caught so many people in the open like that.

Any recommendations for a decent M4 model? Im at square one here and couldnt even name a single manufacturer never mind a decent one. Looking for something with size and weight as close as possible. How are the triggers vs a real AR?

I had a Tokyo Marui AR a long time ago. Ran on a battery. Probably had more rounds through the thing than all my real guns combined. Mustve had it 10 years. Sold it to buy my first real AR15.

Anything CQB. El Presidente with an AR? El Presidente AR transition to pistol. Man, watch a movie, watch 'live crime' videos, set up scenarios and run them till it's natrual.

'Minute of Man' accuracy, absolutely. You can't really do precision work with BB's in my opinion, but the guns are pretty good clones if you get higher end stuff.

Anything CQB. El Presidente with an AR? El Presidente AR transition to pistol. Man, watch a movie, watch 'live crime' videos, set up scenarios and run them till it's natrual.

'Minute of Man' accuracy, absolutely. You can't really do precision work with BB's in my opinion, but the guns are pretty good clones if you get higher end stuff.
Im just thinking up drills in the hallway, target transition, shooting around/under a barricade etc. Everything pretty much at 15'-30'. I just dont want to waste my time if theyre pretty much toys and it wont translate to rl.

Any recommendations for a decent M4 model? Im at square one here and couldnt even name a single manufacturer never mind a decent one. Looking for something with size and weight as close as possible. How are the triggers vs a real AR?
I wish I knew, I went with the Glock pistol, figured it was solid quality with the G name on it. Looks like $500 is the beginning for better metal AS rifles.
Im just thinking up drills in the hallway, target transition, shooting around/under a barricade etc. Everything pretty much at 15'-30'. I just dont want to waste my time if theyre pretty much toys and it wont translate to rl.
I'd say if you get a blow back metal one, you'd have to deal with trigger reset like a real AR. The HnK clone I handled had a very similar trigger feel to my ARs. Hallway work is 'complicated', so yeah, I'd say it would do the job nicely and not risk an 'incident'. I get pretty solid feedback hearing the BBs hit the target as well. I'm getting my wife to grab a couple gallon jugs of water and set up a 'steel' course in my backyard.

If I recall correctly there was a member here who trained in his basement with a bb gun, not sure if airsoft or metal BB but came out the next season and did markedly better than the prior year. I think k it was @Roscoe but don't hold me to that. I would love to find a G19 green gas gun.

Go visit evike.com for preliminary research then head to Army Barracks military surplus or X-Fire paintball/airsoft in Nashua if you're close. The cheap guns feel cheap but the more expensive ones $400 - $500 look, feel and operate like their real steel counterparts. These are electric so there is no bolt action (but most bolt handles function) and the triggers are basically electric switches but aside from that stuff, the magazine controls, sights, etc all operate. Magazine changes are just like the real thing (except for the bolt). Most have rails and accessorize like the real guns too.

Ok. This is going to be an expensive habit. I've already burned 5 of the 7 CO2 thingys I bought with the gun. I get 4-5 solid mags per canister, maybe a bit more, haven't really been tracking.

Just bought a pack of 40 ($20). 5k BBs is only $10-15 at least.

Back
Top Bottom