Oh, How times have changed

I had the Johnny Eagle sets as a kid!! they were great...actual plastic bullets that snapped onto the cartridge case, the firing pin hit the 'primer' and the round went 20ft!!

I had this

I had this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JohnnySevenCatalog.jpg

I had more guns, bows and arrows, rifles, bazookas, and plastic army soldiers than probably anybody around at that time. I rigged one of my guns to shoot pieces of chalk instead of hollow plastic bullets. And caps. I had caps.

According to the PC crowd I should have grown up to be a homicidal maniac. Well, at least I'm not homicidal.

I guess it was a life of crime that drove Otis to drink.

Respectfully,

jkelly

So quickly the seeds of ignorance bear their fruit.
Everything I played with as a kid, that was military or firearms related, was unavailable or irrevocably altered within 5+ years. By the time I was in my late teens, a lot of my toys were instant collectibles.
My favorite was a toy Springfield 1903 I had. Made of wood and metal and had a gold painted wooden bullet attached to the bolt face. It was part of a whole WWII play set.

So quickly the seeds of ignorance bear their fruit.
Everything I played with as a kid, that was military or firearms related, was unavailable or irrevocably altered within 5+ years. By the time I was in my late teens, a lot of my toys were instant collectibles.
My favorite was a toy Springfield 1903 I had. Made of wood and metal and had a gold painted wooden bullet attached to the bolt face. It was part of a whole WWII play set.[/QUOTE]

I had one of those!

Yep, we have come a lo-o-ong way - a true history of regression if there ever was one...

But then, history DOES repeat itself ...

I wish I had kept ALL my toys [crying]

Yep, we have come a lo-o-ong way - a true history of regression if there ever was one...

But then, history DOES repeat itself ...

I wish I had kept ALL my toys [crying]

my parents kept a shitload of the old toys. one was a Popeye lunchbox from 1963. I never liked it, never used it. They gave it to me about 4 years ago; I promptly put it on Ebay and got $450 for it! [smile]

my parents kept a shitload of the old toys. one was a Popeye lunchbox from 1963. I never liked it, never used it. They gave it to me about 4 years ago; I promptly put it on Ebay and got $450 for it! [smile]

Oh, I never had a lunch box...the bags disentigrated years ago...[sad2]

I had the original Mattel "Fanner" Colt SAA, complete w/the Greenie Stick-Em caps and plastic bullets. Prior to that I had a Winchester that loaded and ejected cartridges; my sister had the "Indian Scout" single shot (Remington Rolling Block?). Later, I had that Tommy Gun, just like Vic Morrow carried in Combat!.

I had the Johnny Eagle sets as a kid!! they were great...actual plastic bullets that snapped onto the cartridge case, the firing pin hit the 'primer' and the round went 20ft!!

I think I had the exact same thing. But it was bolt action right? I loved that 'gun'.

The funny thing is that neither of my parents are gun people in any sense. They really just don't like guns at all. In fact I'd call them anit-2A. My father has never even fired a gun despite being drafted into the Navy late in WWII! But, they had no problem whatsoever with buying me toy guns as a kid. All the toy guns I wanted.

Think about how often you pointed toy guns at your friends and said 'Bang, Bang.' And, now if kids do that there's a good chance they'll be talking to a counselor.
I don't remember my mother or my friends' parents worrying about kids bringing knives to school; 'cause we all did. Some had BSA logos, some just said Buck on them. Now you can't wear a t-shirt with a knife printed on it in school.
I grew up in a city'ish area and a neighbor saw my friend and I plinking cans behind this apartment building with a crossman 760 and a Sears 'no name' BB gun and came over and said "Hey, you two. I have a skunk under my porch. Come over here and I'll give you a buck each if you can take care of it." Can you imagine that scenario today?
First they blamed 'Rock' music then movies then video games. I think I'll blame high-fructose corn syrup and paranoia [thinking]

wow..... I haven't seen those since last century... [wink] I had the Dick Tracy snub (it was way cool) AND the Tommy Burst...

Lots of roaming around the metro parks and running gun battles.... [smile]

Boys will be Boys

Female bartender at the bar the SO and I frequent was telling us it was one of her son`s bdays last week. I think he`s around 7yrs. old. She`s a earthy, crunchy type. She mentioned that she has 3 kids, first 2 are boys and a 4 yr. old girl. All the boys wanted was toy guns so they could play Army. She was all freaked out about it. She told me at first she refused to buy them toy guns, so any stick or object they could find they turned them into rifles. Even her daughter wanted a toy gun so she could play with the boys. I laughed my ass off. She had to break down and get them toy guns because she was afraid they would stab each other with the sticks they used. I told her I`d get them a couple of ACU hats with their names on them.

My favorite toy gun was a James Bond get up - a gun, a scope, a detachable stock, etc. in a plastic briefcase from which projectiles could be fired by pressing a hidden button next to the handle. Cool!

I had to Google around to find out what the toy rifle was that I loved so much when I was 9 or 10 ... I think it was the Winchester Crackfire, by Mattel. A neighbor kid had one. It was a lever-action, and made a "pow-wiiing" richochet sound when you shot it.

All the rest of us had to shout "bang!" or "pow!".

I had a heavily constructed bolt-action toy that didn't make any cool sounds, but you had to work the bolt to get the trigger to function. It was a heavy unit ... solid.

But you know, even a stick would do in a pinch when you put together an impromptu game of "playing guns".

Good old days, man. [grin]

A friend of mine lived next to a large vacant lot. We'd play "War" all day long with an assortment of toy guns and other weapons. I think one of us even had a toy mortar that lobbed plastic shells. I suppose now that we'd all rounded up and placed into DSS custody or something.

I'd have to guess that the growth of organized kids sports is an outgrowth of this change, but it's just a guess.

Gary

The current affair of how things are in this country is why the nation as a majority believe that we can make peace with our enemies by saying that we love them and we want to be friends...(BS)

We loved our lever action Daisy "air rifles". Wasn't made to shoot anything, just a satisfying pop of air.

Took no time at all do learn that if the muzzle was pushed in the high clay content soil, it would pick up a 1/2 inch slug of dirt.

And if the conditions were good, you could launch that load 20-25 feet.

Even observing "the rule" that they were not to be aimed at anyone (especially your sister) -- we'd be toast, and in an E.D. class today.

When I was in single-digits, I had a break-open, double-barreled shotgun that fired corks. It came with the corks attached to the gun by strings.

Care to guess how long it took to figure out it was more fun when the strings were broken? [wink]

And yet, we all lived, eyesight intact (corks were the LEAST of the threats!) and I haven't killed anybody in the half-century since.

We loved our lever action Daisy "air rifles". Wasn't made to shoot anything, just a satisfying pop of air.

I had one of those. All metal little lever action with a plug in the end that had a little dimple in it. Cycle the lever, point, and "POP." That thing was cool. I seem to remember ruining it by prying out the plug on the end though [thinking]

Back
Top Bottom