Oh, by the way...

I became a New Hampshire resident today.

(pauses to let the applause and cheering subside)

Actually, I'm still a MA homeowner as well, as we don't close on the condo sales here until just after Christmas.

Which raises an interesting legal question...

If I were to obtain my new NH drivers license this week, and purchase a handgun (say a nice shiny new 3-gen Glock, or a Kimber Pro-Carry, or a Kel-Tec P-3AT, or...etc.) at a NH gun shop (all nice and legal like), I assume I could also possess said handgun on my property here in MA, as my LTC is still valid, and I'm still paying property taxes on my residence here..

Now...

Say I had a friend who was licensed and wanted to purchase that shiny new Glock from me at NH prices.

Would it be legal for me to transfer that gun via a FTF sale in MA?

Bruce, congrats!

Better talk with one of the gun attorneys as you may be messing with Fed Law as well and wouldn't want to get jammed up.

Hypothetically asking, of course.

I'm assuming it would come down whether my LTC is valid, once I obtain the NH drivers license. Also, I assume that by buying a firearm on a NH license, I woud need a non-resident LTC to possess in MA, in which case, the point is moot - no FTF transfers allowed.

Mrs. Snow and I went through the books a while ago and couldn't find anything that invalidates your LTC if you move out of state. So long as you send the change of address into the CHSB.

I also at one time spoke with the Director of CHSB who said that owning property in MA and staying there for part of the year will allow you to get a resident LTC.

IANAL and YMMV

First, WELCOME to a free state!

Second, I'm easily confused, but aren't you trying to have you cake and eat it too?

You can't walk in and buy a handgun in NH unless you're a NH resident.
You can't have a resident LTC unless you're a MA resident, no?

Are you trying to claim to be a resident of two states at the same time?

Well, Fed Law allows DUAL residency. It's in the Q&A area of the BATFE Book and Website. A search here (use Advanced Search in Gun Laws forum and set User CP to show "all threads") should uncover more info, it's been discussed previously.

Here's what I know from a practical point of view:

- Chief Glidden (GCAB Chair) and most chiefs advise that they will NOT (and should not) recognize dual residency, period! He's been telling chiefs NOT to issue LTCs to Summer (or part-time) Residents, and from what I can see most are abiding by this.

- Same group has discussed the "what if a person moves out of MA" and notifies wrt LTC. IIRC, the general feeling is that the LTC becomes "null and void" once you move out of state. There is some current discussion about REVOKING the LTC upon such notification (this has serious negative connotations, as you must reveal this info and explain it on every CCW/LTC application in damn near every state forever).

All this said, I have a good friend (former Boston Constable) who moved from W. Roxbury to AZ a few years ago. I never asked, but doubt he did the notifications required (he never expects to return to MA for anything). He CCW'd in AZ on his MA LTC-A/ALP for a number of months until he processed for an AZ CCW. [AZ recognizes the MA LTC.]

Back
Top Bottom