• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Off Life Support, Ready to Play

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
Scars are our history. This Smith&Wesson Model 52-1 was the prized possession of a remarkable shooter. A woman who managed to compete when few did. A US Shooting Team member. The .38 was shot for many years across the country. It's was then put into retirement in Florida. Hurricane Irma devastated the owner's home and her island. The house was a total loss and her family business crippled, many homes were destroyed. The family got most guns out, but this Model 52 was missed in the back of the safe in a black gun rug. It was found in the twisted rubble underwater weeks later. My friend had wanted to leave this gun to a family member as a part of her shooting legacy. The rust and pits were deep. Instead of trying to make it pretty I decided to just apply life saving measures. The rust and salt water damage was treated and the bleeding stopped. Each part was cleaned and preserved. A new skin of blue applied over the wounds. The grips, like the gun show the damage of salt water. Yes it's ugly, but still shoots like a champ and is ready to get back in the game if called on.

I2hlO6t.jpg

8T4V83C.jpg

JLWS1TP.jpg

oYSRGBf.jpg

what a tragic thing to happen to that noble old gun but another chapter to it's story. you really did get it off life support!

Nice. Got any "before" photos?

Also... question: What if the corrosion/pitting was bad enough to obscure/obliterate the serial #? Is that something that can be fixed if you had records of the #, or would you have to go to Smith and Wesson for a remedy?

Nice. Got any "before" photos?

Also... question: What if the corrosion/pitting was bad enough to obscure/obliterate the serial #? Is that something that can be fixed if you had records of the #, or would you have to go to Smith and Wesson for a remedy?
I think if it came down to it it could be proven that corrosion made the numbers disappear vs file/grinder marks.
so then i guess they have to prove you let the gun rot on purpose.

Back
Top Bottom