NZ-Only 530 SA guns turned in, Officials Upset Over Conversion Kits Going Against ‘Spirit Of The Law

In Massachusetts, pre Healey ARs are priceless.

I’ll turn in 1/2 of my secret stash for $1,000,000.00 per stripped lower.

My life and liberty are worth 10 times that...

Actually my life is priceless.

Wait until the Democrats get back into office.

Nobody will comply with confiscation.

Well, maybe there's some civil disobedience after all?

NZ Officials Upset After Citizens Find Way To Skirt AR-15 Ban

When legislators in any country create a law, it behooves them to understand that the law will only be followed so far. What I mean is that those who are going to follow it can only be expected to adhere to the letter of the law as written, not necessarily to what lawmakers wanted when they crafted that bit of legislation.

At least, that’s how most Americans look at it.

Down in New Zealand, some officials appear to be upset. It seems that a conversion kit that will turn an AR-15 into a pump-action rifle allows people to hold onto their guns rather than turn them in. For the officials, the problem is that this allows people to skirt the spirit of the law.

There are concerns modifications to guns to comply with new firearms laws could be easily reversed.

Police are looking into whether kits designed to modify AR-15s from semi-automatic to pump-action would allow owners to keep the rifles, which are used in about half of all mass shootings in the US.

Gun Control NZ co-founder Nik Green says allowing the modification kit would render the new laws pointless.

“Any conversion isn’t permanent, so you could quite easily switch it back to being a semi-automatic… It doesn’t take these dangerous guns off the streets.”

A police spokesperson said they are still looking into the feasibility of modifying AR15 semi-automatics.

“The Police Commissioner will publish the manner and standard required for the safe and permanent modification of these and any other firearms.

A process for how modifications can be carried out – and a list of approved gunsmiths to do the modifications – will be published on the police website soon.”

Green says people need to take the moral high-ground, with conversion kits not in the “spirit of the law”.

Oh, cry me a river.

People who did nothing wrong are being punished by having their rifles banned, and people are whining because they might, theoretically, convert their rifle into a model that would adhere to the new law and still be able to convert it back?

Son, anyone likely to be a problem isn’t going to convert their rifle at all, most likely. If they do, they’d be breaking the law by doing so, which means the law isn’t accomplishing anything.

What folks in New Zealand forget is that it’s possible to build an AR-15 from scratch if you have the know-how. If you’re going to be that worried about what someone might do, you might as well ban blocks of aluminum and hand files (no, I wouldn’t want to build an AR-15 that way, but it can be done).

The truth of the matter is that NZ gun owners have no obligation to adhere to the spirit of any law. The law betrayed them. The government latched onto a horrific event and used it as a pretext to punish them for something they didn’t do. If the law leaves a loophole so that they don’t have to dispose of the property they purchased lawfully, why wouldn’t they take advantage of it?

Of course, there are also going to be a lot of people who take the “cold, dead hands” approach, and I can’t say that I blame them either.

Well, maybe there's some civil disobedience after all?

NZ Officials Upset After Citizens Find Way To Skirt AR-15 Ban

When legislators in any country create a law, it behooves them to understand that the law will only be followed so far. What I mean is that those who are going to follow it can only be expected to adhere to the letter of the law as written, not necessarily to what lawmakers wanted when they crafted that bit of legislation.

At least, that’s how most Americans look at it.

Down in New Zealand, some officials appear to be upset. It seems that a conversion kit that will turn an AR-15 into a pump-action rifle allows people to hold onto their guns rather than turn them in. For the officials, the problem is that this allows people to skirt the spirit of the law.

There are concerns modifications to guns to comply with new firearms laws could be easily reversed.

Police are looking into whether kits designed to modify AR-15s from semi-automatic to pump-action would allow owners to keep the rifles, which are used in about half of all mass shootings in the US.

Gun Control NZ co-founder Nik Green says allowing the modification kit would render the new laws pointless.

“Any conversion isn’t permanent, so you could quite easily switch it back to being a semi-automatic… It doesn’t take these dangerous guns off the streets.”

A police spokesperson said they are still looking into the feasibility of modifying AR15 semi-automatics.

“The Police Commissioner will publish the manner and standard required for the safe and permanent modification of these and any other firearms.

A process for how modifications can be carried out – and a list of approved gunsmiths to do the modifications – will be published on the police website soon.”

Green says people need to take the moral high-ground, with conversion kits not in the “spirit of the law”.

Oh, cry me a river.

People who did nothing wrong are being punished by having their rifles banned, and people are whining because they might, theoretically, convert their rifle into a model that would adhere to the new law and still be able to convert it back?

Son, anyone likely to be a problem isn’t going to convert their rifle at all, most likely. If they do, they’d be breaking the law by doing so, which means the law isn’t accomplishing anything.

What folks in New Zealand forget is that it’s possible to build an AR-15 from scratch if you have the know-how. If you’re going to be that worried about what someone might do, you might as well ban blocks of aluminum and hand files (no, I wouldn’t want to build an AR-15 that way, but it can be done).

The truth of the matter is that NZ gun owners have no obligation to adhere to the spirit of any law. The law betrayed them. The government latched onto a horrific event and used it as a pretext to punish them for something they didn’t do. If the law leaves a loophole so that they don’t have to dispose of the property they purchased lawfully, why wouldn’t they take advantage of it?

Of course, there are also going to be a lot of people who take the “cold, dead hands” approach, and I can’t say that I blame them either.
According to the new regs, all pump shotguns would remain legal if the mag tube extension was removed. The Australians lost all of their pump shotguns when a gun grab happened there years ago.

New Zealand plans to tighten gun laws in wake of Christchurch massacre | DW | 22.07.2019
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the law would aim to create a national gun and license holder register, ban visitors from buying guns and tighten rules on obtaining and maintaining a firearms license.

Other planks of the reform would establish new licensing for around 260 shooting clubs and ranges, expand police powers to confiscate weapons if an individual shows warning signs, and require a license to purchase ammunition.

Under the law, firearms licenses would have to be renewed every five years instead of 10.

"The terror attack on March 15 highlighted the flaws in our licensing system," Ardern said. "The changes announced today have been decades in the making. It is now up to this parliament to deliver in the interests of public and personal safety."

The reform would also establish that owning a firearm is a privilege that requires safety, not a right.

That seems to include magazines.

So one “assault weapon” with a conservative loadout of say six or seven mags counts as seven or eight “guns and weapons parts” they can crow about.

I wonder whether they’re compensating owners for their magazines.

It's no longer possible to prevent determined people from possessing firearms. Pandora's box is open.

Perhaps we could take another approach and instead, make it a crime to kill more than one person in any single shooting spree.

Back
Top Bottom