• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA supports violation of due process of rights

Wow, and it would only take one person who didn't agree with your political opinion to make a phone call.

1. It can't happen at the Federal level because the Federal government does not have a police force. It's not the FBI's job to do that nonsense. And the ATF does not have the man power to do it.
2. It would have to be enacted at the level of each state, one at at time, because Federal law cannot tell state governors how to do their jobs. Ever heard of sanctuary cities? Governors can tell the Feds to pound sand an frequently do. Cannabis laws anyone?
3. Even the ACLU says this is crazy. They saw the law in RI and ripped it to shreds.
4. I think this a ploy by the NRA to calm the moonbats down so they forget why they are so angry. And in the meantime, nothing happens.

4. I think this a ploy by the NRA to calm the moonbats down so they forget why they are so angry. And in the meantime, nothing happens.

The problem is we in the middle are getting tired of the 4-D chess game the NRA is playing and it lets the other side dig there heels in a little deeper.

Jason.

This is the reason I never purchased a lifetime membership in NRA or any other organization. I renew every three years, IF they warrent my support. Let’s see how this plays out, but right now does not look good for NRA getting my $ this year for membership or ILA.

Where is Harlon Carter when u need him?

Last edited:
The problem is we in the middle are getting tired of the 4-D chess game the NRA is playing and it lets the other side dig there heels in a little deeper.

I will not argue with you but every time a shooting happens, the resolve gets stronger on the other side. I think we are ultimately going to lose. I'm not sure how bad we will lose, but we are going to lose something. And it has happened before, remember the 1994 AWB. So the NRA is playing dirty tricks and holding actions and doing what they can to resist. The media (CNN, CBS, ABC, NPR, etc...) are against us. And they give defacto propaganda to the other side. This is a very hard, uphill battle and I'm not sure what else the NRA can do.

1. It can't happen at the Federal level because the Federal government does not have a police force. It's not the FBI's job to do that nonsense. And the ATF does not have the man power to do it.

Not sure if serious, apparently you've never heard of this thing called the Lautenberg Amendment?

Same thing, all over again, except no limitations on anything...

-Mike

No I had not. Please explain. I am serious because state LEO's ignore federal laws all the time.

Feds go "active ERPO is federal prohibitor".

Some state has an ERPO law. Someone in that state gets an ERPO against you, even though you're not even in that state.

This is how Lautenberg works with DV ROs, etc. If the feds enact it, it would give the state shit laws "reach" that they didn't have before. As it stands currently with ERPOs enacted by a state, they would be null/invalid outside of that given state at
least.

-Mike

Want to bet states like NYC/MA/CA would abuse the shit out of federal ERPOs by declaring all residents of CC states suspect?

Why don't we start at the beginning because I don't understand what you are trying to explain. And I am not sure I believe it. Tell me how the Feds can use Lautenberg against a citizen of the State of Rhode Island because RI did not think it was useful and they instituted their own law prohibiting domestic abusers from having guns. Tell me how the RISP can use it. Lets start with a law that already exists.

Why don't we start at the beginning because I don't understand what you are trying to explain. And I am not sure I believe it. Tell me how the Feds can use Lautenberg against a citizen of the State of Rhode Island because RI did not think it was useful and they instituted their own law prohibiting domestic abusers from having guns. Tell me how the RISP can use it. Lets start with a law that already exists.

If I understand drgrant correctly, it works like this:

1. Linsky gets his wet dream of an ERPO law in MA

2. The federal folks amend the NICS system to say "anyone who has an active ERPO on them from any state is flagged as a prohibited person and can't buy a gun"

3. Someone who doesn't like you who lives in MA rings up their local police department and gets and ERPO against you. You don't know about it because you're not in MA so it takes a while for a letter to get to you and the local cops in MA aren't knocking on your door out of state.

4. You go to your local gun store to buy that new firearm you've been looking at for a while and they run a NICS check on you as part of the purchase

5. The gun store clerk comes back to you and says how sorry he is but the NICS check is saying "denied", you'll have to take it up with the feds but he can't sell you a gun

6. Wash, rinse, and repeat for every radical activist living in a state with ERPO who knows anyone with a gun anywhere.

drgrant, please check my math here. Did I follow your explanation or miss something?

This looks like a whole pile of horrible crap if what I've interpreted above is true or even close to it.

This is a very hard, uphill battle and I'm not sure what else the NRA can do.

I agree with you it is a uphill battle and will be for the rest of my life along with my kids and so on. But what the NRA can do is stop putting the people it claims to represent in a compromise, draw a line NRA grow some balls and don't support bills that will get a lot of good folks jammed up and loose a right.

If the 2A goes away, the NRA is what??? What good can they do if they don't have a 2nd amendment to defend.
I'm on your side brother, but lately it seems the NRA is not and they show there new true colors by giving another inch. I just want them to stand up and so say, no scream no more compromises for the folk who pay there freight.

If they had a brain they would offer anyone who buys a new gun a free 90 day trial membership, this way they can at least say look our numbers are always growing to congress and wow look at all the millions more we gained in members.

Jason.

ERPO analogy is speculation. Tell me how Lautenberg works. I'm not putting on my tinfoil hat quite yet. Mike is telling me that a federal statute is used by states to prevent domestic abusers from even POSSESSING firearms. Well, then why are all these states instituting their own laws if federal statute gives them the ability to do it already? Blah, blah, blah, I understand the slippery slope. But show me where your example has been enforced at the state level. Today I called up a state legislator to complain about a bill he has proposed. His response was, "Wow, you're like the only person to have read the bill!" No one reads anything. Y'all just start screaming and pissing yourselves when you think a a fox is outside the door. Give me real information and some case history or stop blowing smoke.

I agree with you it is a uphill battle and will be for the rest of my life along with my kids and so on. But what the NRA can do is stop putting the people it claims to represent in a compromise, draw a line NRA grow some balls and don't support bills that will get a lot of good folks jammed up and loose a right.

If the 2A goes away, the NRA is what??? What good can they do if they don't have a 2nd amendment to defend.
I'm on your side brother, but lately it seems the NRA is not and they show there new true colors by giving another inch. I just want them to stand up and so say, no scream no more compromises for the folk who pay there freight.

If they had a brain they would offer anyone who buys a new gun a free 90 day trial membership, this way they can at least say look our numbers are always growing to congress and wow look at all the millions more we gained in members.

Jason.

People who don't give an inch end up losing all their inches. The dumbass bill that just got passed by the House is nonsense. It does not do anything. Read it. Once again, all the screaming and pissing is pathetic. READ THE LANGUAGE! From what I have read, the NRA is not giving anything up. It's all smoke and mirrors. The idiot Governor of RI signed a "red flag" EO. Everyone crapped themselves. Read it. It says, "The RISP will do their jobs." Freaking literally. Nothing is being given up, no rights are being lost, no new restrictions are in place. FYI, the NRA has more balls than any organization I've ever seen, aside from the RI 2nd Amendment Coalition. However, they are also not dumb. And they play politics are necessary to do their job. Stop crying and pony up. How many times have you been to YOUR statehouse?

How many times have you been to YOUR statehouse?

I've lost count. Ultimately, it amounted to about nothing because Maura gives no shits about MA gun owners, and the legislature lacks anything resembling balls.

Swamp_yankee, i wish i could down vote you x1000.

You keep giving up your inches...ive ponyed up plenty.

This. I wish I could downvote him, too.

Wow. I just renewed my lapsed membership after the FL shooting. This is incredibly disappointing as these ERPOs are not only a direct and blatant violation of COTUS, but a Soviet-style backdoor gun confiscation tactic specifically designed to reduce the number of lawful gun owners and scare the remainder into compliance with the left's policies!

The NRA should NOT be supporting such action!

This stems from the mentality that all mass shootings could have reasonably been prevented before hand by diligent law enforcement. Hindsight is 20/20. There's always some indicator that someone is about to go off the reservation, but it's rarely obvious until after the fact.

But if you buy into the idea that someone should have stepped in, you get laws like this. Realistically, people are going to slip under the radar. It's just a fact. Writing bad law to account for tiny minority of bad actors is not a good step.

An ERPO would be fine if done properly, that isn't what anyone is suggesting. My new neighbor who I have spoken to exactly 3 times in the year they have lived here could file a complaint, and I would lose my rights and property until at some later time I have the burden of proof that I am not a threat.

How it should go; a complaint is made, police investigate (gather evidence) and only if they say to proceed, then WE (complaining party, police and the accused) get to stand before a judge and hash it out.

An ERPO would be fine if done properly, that isn't what anyone is suggesting. My new neighbor who I have spoken to exactly 3 times in the year they have lived here could file a complaint, and I would lose my rights and property until at some later time I have the burden of proof that I am not a threat.

How it should go; a complaint is made, police investigate (gather evidence) and only if they say to proceed, then WE (complaining party, police and the accused) get to stand before a judge and hash it out.

Exactly right. Being able to face your accuser in a court of law is one of the primary tenants our legal system was founded on. This anonymous SWATting-style RO shit violates just about every fundamental principle of law in this country.

This stems from the mentality that all mass shootings could have reasonably been prevented before hand by diligent law enforcement. Hindsight is 20/20. There's always some indicator that someone is about to go off the reservation, but it's rarely obvious until after the fact.

But if you buy into the idea that someone should have stepped in, you get laws like this. Realistically, people are going to slip under the radar. It's just a fact. Writing bad law to account for tiny minority of bad actors is not a good step.

No additional laws are/were needed for the FL tragedy to be stopped. In fact less laws/regulations were needed. Local PD did not make arrests on the shooter because it was school policy to look the other way.

Back
Top Bottom