• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NRA Pistol Instructor Class Study suggestions

Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing or studying for the NRA Pistol Instructor class... I will be taking the class soon and I am a bit nervous after talking to the instructor when he said that half of his previous class failed :-/

Thanks

Take the class some where else... How can half the class fail if their paying attention.. Some thing is wrong if that actually happened..

Last edited:
Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing or studying for the NRA Pistol Instructor class... I will be taking the class soon and I am a bit nervous after talking to the instructor when he said that half of his previous class failed :-/

Thanks

HALF of the class failed? Please tell me the class consisted of 2 guys.

It is not rocket science: it is the fundamentals of marksmanship, some basic platform skills, and a lot of people skills.

Study your knowledge, practice giving classes to family/friends, and get it done.

In the classes that I have taken or are aware of, no one failed.
The job of a teacher is to teach and get the students past any rough spots.
We often use the Mass police qualification, as a test at the end of the first day in our 100 course.
It is rare for a student to shoot less than 90% and perfect scores are common.

I agree with finding someone else. If he's failing half the class he is doing so to protect his own interests. You would have to NOT show up to fail an NRA class.

It's been a long time since I took the NRA instructor's class, but part of the program them (and now as I understand it) is for the instructor to meet with the student before the class to assess the prospective student's basic skills, and make sure they are to the point where the person should be taking the instructor class. If this is done with proper diligence, I would expect a pass rate in excess of 50% in most cases.

Tiny
Your initial question was about how you could prepare for the class was not answered.
The class consists of two main parts, which are:
How to teach, and
The material that you will teach.
Other than reading and rereading the NRA student books,
which the instructor should have sent you prior to the class
there is not much that you can do.

Someone suggested that you practise by teaching your friends or family.
I think that this is a waste of time, since you know neither the NRA way of
teaching, nor the material that the NRA wants you to teach

Probably the same guy that taught one of my mathematics classes in college. What was on the board an on the test were totally different things.

B

Your initial question was about how you could prepare for the class was not answered.

Forget about preparing anything with regards to instruction. Make sure you have a solid understanding of the basics before you show up to class - safe gun handling; competent (but not necessarily championship grade) marksmanship; and understanding the basics of ammunition and handguns. You should start the class knowing the material you will be teaching cold. You are there to learn how to teach skills and knowledge that you should have before you take the class.

Someone suggested that you practise by teaching your friends or family.
I think that this is a waste of time, since you know neither the NRA way of
teaching, nor the material that the NRA wants you to teach

Jim, I appreciate your feelings, but I mentioned that so he could work on his platform time; standing in front of people working on his delivery. Not to be critiqued for content. He could practice this by teaching classes on how to make a bed, fold the laundry, or make a pizza. The purpose is to become comfortable delivering the goods. It works. Maybe not in your NRA world. But it does in the real world.

The "NRA way of teaching" isn't some rocket science either, unless things have changed. I say that based on years of teaching with multiple firearms instructor certificates. And if I was to pick the easier of the ones that I have, by far it would be the NRA ones.

Good luck.

If you can find a copy of the student materials for the disciplines you're going to be certified to teach, read through them. Pay particular attention to the safety section, and make sure that you can at least load and unload common firearm types. If you've never handled a revolver, I'd suggest finding someone who has one and learning how to operate it before taking the instructors class.

I have to agree with the recommendation to find another training counselor if his failure rate is really 50%. This isn't Special Forces training.

Thank You All!

I think the class was small (3-4). I am reading over all of the course packets again i've received from the 4 classes I have taken.

The failure is the really the instructor's failure to teach. Almost all LTC students are motivated and come with the right attitude. All the classes I have taught no one has ever failed. I have certainly had some challenges with the practical exercises. They required more time and attention which they got. Pls PM if you want to discuss training options.

Back
Top Bottom