novice deer calling ...

so here is a question , iv been practicing ( a little ) my deer calls ... but im not confident in them, am I beter off still trying to use them to lure them in or is the gamble too high of not sounding quite right ? im afraid that its just going to not be appropriate for the moment and they will know that its a ruse. id hate to jeopardise all this work on a shotty deer call ...

With today's modern calls it's hard to screw up. When you blow into the call pretend you are trying to fog a mirror w/your breath. Don't blow into it like a whistle.

i see , are calls an essential part of the hunt ? as well as rack rattles ?

I wouldn't say absolutely essential but they can help. Plus it can break up your time on stand. I've had just as many deer (doe or buck) ignore calls as I've seen respond. Your BEST advantage is and always will be the element of surprise. IMO the only time you will see an aggressive response to calling is during the rut by a mature to mod. mature buck. When/if they come in they have 2 things on thier mind. Fight or F--K. (that's when the rattlin-horns come into play)

Last edited:
The afternoon before last I was able to observe a buck chasing a doe and grunting. He followed behind her and was softly grunting in repetitions of four short grunts about 1 sec-2 seconds apart. Erp-erp-erp-erp.
He would then follow her for a few yards and start again.

So, the night before last , about 10 minutes after I got in my stand and things settled down I tried to replicate the sound and cadence with my cheap no-name grunt call. Erp erp erp erp. Sure enough within 5 minutes I had a nice adult doe come in , looking around. I watched her for about 5 minutes , wandering about 20 yards in front of me. No buck. She presented me with a nice 18 yard broadside shot . I double lunged her and she went about 30 yards and fell over.
I had the doe gutted and loaded within 45 minutes of getting in my stand and I was home before dark. Perfect! I have also had plenty of deer come into a combination of grunts and bleats , using one of those small bleat cans.

I set the reed in my grunt call so that it doesnt sound too high or "immature" but also not too deep where it would replicate a big mature buck. I figure if it is set at about a medium tone it sounds like a 2/12 year old "teenager" that doesnt threaten smaller bucks and rouses the interest of a bigger buck that thinks he can pick an easy fight with a smaller deer or take his girlfriend away.

Last edited:
A great way to learn about calling is with the many audio CDs available from the maker. One of my go to calls is the grunt/snort that came out fairly recently, maybe two or three years ago.

Whichever you decide to use, don't overdo it.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Back
Top Bottom