NOV 5th 2017 CMP M1 garand and Mondern Military@ OCSA Pembroke Mass

CMP Special sights came back today [smile]

Hopefully they will work. Took two days off next week to practice with SKS using Web sling and to sight in the special for the June 11 tilt.

how did they look compared to ones you sent back?

how did they look compared to ones you sent back?
Installing them in a minute. Definitely different sights, as these are marked DRC, not SA like the ones I sent in. DRC was apparently an IHC subcontractor?
They definitely feel a lot smoother, especially the notches on the pinion. They don't feel as roughly parked as the last ones.

Last edited:
And they work! Very nice. All in all, knowledge gained. I'll be ready for practice next week.

And they work! Very nice. All in all, knowledge gained. I'll be ready for practice next week.

I can only imagine how rusty many of these parts where for cmp to have them refinished.
Good thing you caught this before a match. Now don't forget to tighten that front sight Allen screw.

I can only imagine how rusty many of these parts where for cmp to have them refinished.
Good thing you caught this before a match. Now don't forget to tighten that front sight Allen screw.
Yeah the first ones definitely felt a lot rougher than these ones. I centered the windage and came up 10 clicks since that was what got me on paper with the SG. Looking forward to Thursday.

Awesome! What a gorgeous view too! I'm definitely going to try and make that.

It WAS a gorgeous view until I planted my fat butt in it. That's me sitting in the center of the pic, looking through the scope and scoring. [smile]

For those of you that compete on Sundays at Pembroke, I'm the guy at the 100 yard range trying out different loads for the Sharps.

Looks like I'm going to be able to make it tomorrow.
Not sure if I'm gonna do the service rifle match. Choices would be AR with red dot that I haven't sighted in quite right, or my AK. Both without slings since they don't have the proper swivels.

I have 50 rds of 30-06 done up but with only 43 gr of IMR4064 so I think it might be too underpowered to compare to the HXP I've been using and I am hesitant to risk getting dialed in with five sighters and no spotting scope.

Looks like I'm going to be able to make it tomorrow.
Not sure if I'm gonna do the service rifle match. Choices would be AR with red dot that I haven't sighted in quite right, or my AK. Both without slings since they don't have the proper swivels.

I have 50 rds of 30-06 done up but with only 43 gr of IMR4064 so I think it might be too underpowered to compare to the HXP I've been using and I am hesitant to risk getting dialed in with five sighters and no spotting scope.

Are you all set for sighting in with the HXP? Maybe OCSA still has some HXP to sell?

Kinda tough to sight in at 100 yards in 5 shots unless you know the rifle and optic well. You can bore sight on a wall at home, but you have to know where the bore must be in relation to the sights.

Hope that thing doesn't have a muzzle break.........

The 6.5 CM AR that I built does not have a brake, and it's bad enough.

At Granby I shot next to a guy shooting a .300 Win Mag bolt gun with a big brake. The damn thing was blowing the front corner of my mat up and over me until I weighted it down. Kinda wish I had my 50 to retaliate but those are now banned at Granby.

Are you all set for sighting in with the HXP? Maybe OCSA still has some HXP to sell?

Kinda tough to sight in at 100 yards in 5 shots unless you know the rifle and optic well. You can bore sight on a wall at home, but you have to know where the bore must be in relation to the sights.
My service grade is sighted for 100 yds using my reloads.
My match M1 is sighted for 200 yds with HXP. My reloads tend to be between 40-43 gr of a powder (Varget, IMR4895 or IMR4064) with a 168gr projectile.

I'm just worried that five sighters won't be enough to get me close enough for the difference between HXP and the reloads. I could try to do up 35 loads of something stronger tonight, I have plenty of ready brass.

I had debated using this match to experiment with a reload (since I will run out HXP eventually and need to come up with a load I want to use in matches) but since my scores have consistently improved I'm hesitant to "waste" a match.

The flyer says M1 is acceptable for Modern Mil...maybe bring the reloads and shoot those for modern mil (or even out of competition) and use HXP for the JCG match? I won't be able to clean the barrel between but maybe it won't make a big difference. I've heard a few folks say that you should do the barrel when switching projectiles (I think mac was one).

Curious why you chose such a light load for Varget. Hodgdon calls for 47.0 min, though many including me run 46.5 to get ~2650 fps. The 46.5 gr is 100% reliable for cycling the action and seems stable enough for preventing deviation in velocity.

HXP is a little hot compared to what most will reload. Maybe just add a click of elevation for your loads- you should be on paper.

Curious why you chose such a light load for Varget. Hodgdon calls for 47.0 min, though many including me run 46.5 to get ~2650 fps. The 46.5 gr is 100% reliable for cycling the action and seems stable enough for preventing deviation in velocity.

HXP is a little hot compared to what most will reload. Maybe just add a click of elevation for your loads- you should be on paper.
That's interesting, my manual has 40.3gr as the min Varget load for 168gr for the M1, with 47gr being the max safest load.
I have 40 rds of 43gr IMR4064 done up, I think I'll just bring those out of curiosity and mark the difference on the sighters from the HXP.

That's interesting, my manual has 40.3gr as the min Varget load for 168gr for the M1, with 47gr being the max safest load.
I have 40 rds of 43gr IMR4064 done up, I think I'll just bring those out of curiosity and mark the difference on the sighters from the HXP.

Which manual? Not doubting- just curious what other reference would have loads a little lower than the actual powder manufacturer recommends. If it cycled and was accurate, I'd like the lower recoil.

Which manual? Not doubting- just curious what other reference would have loads a little lower than the actual powder manufacturer recommends. If it cycled and was accurate, I'd like the lower recoil.
Hornady, 9th edition.
They cycled my service grade just fine, the 40.5 gr min loads would not reliably cycle the special's new spring. I did them for 100 yd plate fun, mostly.

You need to figure out if the Data your reading is garand specific or for 30-06 .
Garand data will always be lower than "regular" 30-06 load data.

Unless you pushing out to 600 yards or are trying to replicate M2 velocity there is little reason(I need to clearify that shooting lower than published data can be dangerous) to load a powder charge more than you need to. With in safety guide lines published data and powder manufactures directions.
If your rifle cycles and you get accuracy you like then it's good.

Last edited:
My service grade is sighted for 100 yds using my reloads.
My match M1 is sighted for 200 yds with HXP. My reloads tend to be between 40-43 gr of a powder (Varget, IMR4895 or IMR4064) with a 168gr projectile.

I'm just worried that five sighters won't be enough to get me close enough for the difference between HXP and the reloads. I could try to do up 35 loads of something stronger tonight, I have plenty of ready brass.

I had debated using this match to experiment with a reload (since I will run out HXP eventually and need to come up with a load I want to use in matches) but since my scores have consistently improved I'm hesitant to "waste" a match.

The flyer says M1 is acceptable for Modern Mil...maybe bring the reloads and shoot those for modern mil (or even out of competition) and use HXP for the JCG match? I won't be able to clean the barrel between but maybe it won't make a big difference. I've heard a few folks say that you should do the barrel when switching projectiles (I think mac was one).

you would have been "close" enough to find paper and zero within 5 shots going from HXP to your "slower" reloads. Your hold on target would probably create more of a error than the loads. We will find out this week. I have several loads I will be trying with the project M1 for accuracy improvements. I will be running 44.5 grains (basically where my powder measure drops consistently) varget under a 110,155,168 at 100 yards with the same sight setting as the HXP test

Daekken : I would not say you "need" to clean your barrel between different bullet tests but you most likely should give a few "fouling" shots before shooting for groups. I went through some frustrating shit testing different bullets few years back and the results where not good. It was pointed out to me I should give the barrel a quick clean between bullet profiles or shoot 5-10 rounds to "settle" the barrel into the profile so to speak.
I chose a quick clean and then 2 warm up shots and things really improved. Im not a "clean" barrel type of shooter. Im actually a end of season dead of winter barrel cleaner. Works for me/
Only thing I do is come home from the range run a wet patch of CLP through the bore let it sit for 5 min. 3 dry patches then 1 wet CLP for corrosion protection while it sits in the safe. I don't take a brush to my barrels unless I think they really need it.

Interestingly, I was talking to Franco today and if I heard him correctly he runs 48gr of Varget with either a 150 or 155gr projectile.
He said he did not think 168 gr was superior. I tend to hear each camp (150-155 vs. 168 gr) say they prefer their own weight, which is not surprising. I have some 150gr but I have not used them for M1.

The reloading data I was referring to in my manual above is M1 specific rather than generic 30-06. I had another manual but I loaned it a few months ago and haven't gotten it back.

Even at 100 yds I notice a decent hold difference on target with, say, 41gr Varget vs. HXP. I've done as high as 45gr Varget but I don't really remember the outcome.

Back
Top Bottom